changing hard drives RRS feed

• Question

•  

hi having a little dilema

running a whs system with the main system drive being 80gb and three 500gb drives

I have ordered another two 500gb identical drives but want to swap out the 80gb so have in effect 5 x 500gb but how do i do it without loosing all my data

surely i cannot do server reinstal as the option will not be there as the os will no longer be present as the 80gb drive will be changed to a blank 500gb

any pointers please

thanks in advance

Monday, May 12, 2008 8:04 PM

Answers

• You remove the 80 GB drive and replace it with a larger drive, then you do a server reinstallation. Setup will see that all your data drives are present and will give you the option of doing a non-destructive reinstallation. You'll lose users, OS customizations, installed programs and add-ins, but wont lose files in your shares.

If you need drivers to access some of your data drives, you'll have to supply them during setup. You may need to supply them twice: once during the initial graphical portion just after you boot off the DVD, and a second time after the first reboot, at the beginning of text-mode setup (at the "Press F6" prompt).
    Monday, May 12, 2008 8:30 PM

All replies

• You remove the 80 GB drive and replace it with a larger drive, then you do a server reinstallation. Setup will see that all your data drives are present and will give you the option of doing a non-destructive reinstallation. You'll lose users, OS customizations, installed programs and add-ins, but wont lose files in your shares.

If you need drivers to access some of your data drives, you'll have to supply them during setup. You may need to supply them twice: once during the initial graphical portion just after you boot off the DVD, and a second time after the first reboot, at the beginning of text-mode setup (at the "Press F6" prompt).
    Monday, May 12, 2008 8:30 PM
  • You won't lose any file in your Shared Folders if you have duplication enabled for all of your shared folders and you have given the home server time to balance or duplicate the data to a 2nd hard drive.

Monday, May 12, 2008 8:35 PM
  • You did not say how much space is available on your system now.  In order to make sure that all the files are off of the 80 gig drive I would first install 1 500 gig drive , add it to the storage pool and then let the sytem finish balancing in order to make sure that WHS has nothing on the 80 gig drive.

Then add the second drive and do a WHS reinstall.

Monday, May 12, 2008 9:42 PM