One Care Restore RRS feed

• Question

• I created a backup on a extrernal through One Care on a computer that had 2 hard drives- C: & E:  + D: recovery -dreve--  for a total of 720 g  - After 4 hard drive crashes on C:, and forgetting to replace the E with the last replacement of C: - HP has replaced this computer with a new one which has only one hard drive with 1 tr - How do I restore what was on the E: drive now that it is a DVD drive, not another hd.  It was where I kept all my pictures and music, degital scrapbooking etc., no operating system. Can I restore to DVD's in E: and then just pick and chose to transfer them to my C or an external HD???  Will there be a problem with it restoring what was on the D to the new recovery Drive.
    What happens to those of us on Qwest using One Care??? 
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 11:49 PM

Answers

• When you run the restore wizard, use the custom restore option for restoring files from another computer.
    Since OneCare wants to restore to the same location, but E: doesn't exist on the new drive, OneCare will restore them to an alternate location - typically C:\Windows Live OneCare Restore\
    You cannot restore to a DVD drive.
    You can choose to perform a custom restore and select exactly the file or files you wish to restore from the backup, too, but it must go to a hard drive on the PC. (Internal - not an external USB drive)
    As for OneCare end of life, for Qwest users it will likely be similar to paid subscribers - the subscription will expire and you will need to switch to another product. Qwest may provide something or they may simply suggest Microsoft Security Essentials - see the End of Life Guidance post in the Install forum for details.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 1:24 PM

All replies

• When you run the restore wizard, use the custom restore option for restoring files from another computer.
    Since OneCare wants to restore to the same location, but E: doesn't exist on the new drive, OneCare will restore them to an alternate location - typically C:\Windows Live OneCare Restore\
    You cannot restore to a DVD drive.
    You can choose to perform a custom restore and select exactly the file or files you wish to restore from the backup, too, but it must go to a hard drive on the PC. (Internal - not an external USB drive)
    As for OneCare end of life, for Qwest users it will likely be similar to paid subscribers - the subscription will expire and you will need to switch to another product. Qwest may provide something or they may simply suggest Microsoft Security Essentials - see the End of Life Guidance post in the Install forum for details.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 1:24 PM
  • Oh, and the D:\ Recovery partition was not backed up by OneCare - it isn't data and is a protected partition created by HP. It contains the OS, drivers, and pre-installed software used to restore the PC to factory delivered state. There is typically a utility provided to create restore discs - CD\DVD - for use when the drive is replaced. If you didn't create these discs, contact HP for details on how to obtain a set.
    -steve
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 1:27 PM
  • Even tho you have stated that Back up will not back up or restore to my D: drive (factory recovery file) it is says that it is going to restore 6.5 g to it.???  What can I do to stop it from restoring to the D: drive???
    Friday, November 6, 2009 12:42 AM
  • If the D: drive on the PC where the abckup was performed was a data drive and not a recovery partition and D: on the new PC is now a recovery partition, OneCare will indeed want to recover to the D: drive as the original location exists. You should go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Disk Management and change the drive letter of D: to be another letter until the restore has completed. That way the restore will put the data destined for the D:\ drive to the C:\Windows Live OneCare Restore\ folder.
    Once the restore is complete, change the drive letter back to D:.
    -steve
    Friday, November 6, 2009 1:52 PM
  • No the D drive on from the PC where the backup was performed was a "factory recovery" DRIVE also.  I have treid to rename the drive and it won't let me.   I do not want to mess this up so feel that I should not do a restore until the conflict is resolved.  It is possible that that new computer D:factory recovery drive will NOT accept data from the restore?? 
    These are the first computer's I have had with a "recovery" drive partitioned from the C: drive so am leary of messing with it.  LOL
    Friday, November 6, 2009 9:08 PM
  • Open your backup using the Restore Wizard, selecting the custom restore option to restore specific files and browse the backup to see what it wants to restore to D:
    If D: on the previous computer was a Recovery Partition, nothing on it should have been backed up unless the restore partition contained unpacked files that match the file types of your plan.
    You can then choose to do a selective restore from the backup (painful, because the interface isn't a tree view like in Explorer, but you can sort and search) if there really are files to be restored to D: you can skip them.
    Another option is to use the Disk Management interface to make the destination D: drive another letter - click the partition in Disk Management, right click and select Change Drive Letter and path. Don't rename it, just change the drive letter to Z: for example. Once the restore is complete, go back and change it to D: again.
    If you don't have a D: drive, the restore will proceed and won't write to Z:
    -steve
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 1:55 AM