How do I acvtivate more than 1 live onecare product key on the same login account?? RRS feed

• Question

•  

My company has 4 (paid for) copies of LOC (and will be adding more as soon as the current anti-virus subsriptions run out) so how do I activate more than 1 live onecare product key on the same login??
    Thursday, November 22, 2007 12:25 AM

Answers

• You need a single LiveID for each subscription at this time. That would mean 4 LiveIDs, each used to activate up to 3 computers.

-steve

Thursday, November 22, 2007 4:29 AM

All replies

• You need a single LiveID for each subscription at this time. That would mean 4 LiveIDs, each used to activate up to 3 computers.

-steve

Thursday, November 22, 2007 4:29 AM
  • If you activate more than one product key on a single Windows Live ID, you only extend the subscription for 3 computers by one additional year.

If you have 6 computers, you will need 2 Windows Live ID's.  Please note that with 2 Windows Live ID's you will have 2 OneCare Circles with 3 PC's each in them.

I hope this helps.

Friday, November 23, 2007 11:26 AM
  • I think thats this design is a complete failure. Why do you need 2 live IDs? Why do you need more than one circle to be able to manage all your PC's in your household? Now we a have a bunch of very cool new feutures witch in order to use we need to get in to a bunch of new hassle. I mean why? Why did you complicate things when it was so easy not to do so? Was it that difficult to implement circles bigger than 3 PC and managing them with one LIve ID? I think these issues are critical.
    Tuesday, November 27, 2007 12:18 AM
  • The ability to add more licenses to a LiveID/Subscription was hinted at during the beta, but it is not yet available or announced. The Circle feature is new. The inability to have more than 3 licensed PCs on a single subscription for a single LiveID has always been the case.

-steve

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 2:47 AM
  • Greetings All,

Along with the question above, I am also curious to know if there is a server version of OneCare and if not then what is recommended to manage the OneCare Circle(s) on Server 2003/08?

I understand that third party software is useful although I am seeking an all in one concept that OneCare offers on a small to medium business level. 

I have 20 computers total, 10 are on tier one and 10 are on tier two. I would like to create two separate OneCare accounts that can manage the tiers independently for easy management while server manages both accounts in one location along with itself for stability and security.  This coupled with regular network security and management will provide a stable and secure network without much up-keep, and this alone will assist companies in minimizing expenses so that they can then focus on maximizing profits.

I do have other options to implement, but I am quite satisfied on how OneCare has been able to maintain my home network without manually implementing the typical redundant steps necessary.

I am grateful for anything that one can offer to assist in creating a safe and stable infrastructure for an NPO.

Thank you all for your time and may everyone have an awesome New Year!!

Regards,

Todd Yurasek

(619) 379-4846

Friday, January 4, 2008 4:00 PM
  • At this time, a OneCare Circle only consists of a single subscription for up to 3 PCs. In your case, with 20 PCs, you would need to use 7 LiveIDs to create 7 subscriptions to cover your 20 PCs (and have 1 spare license) and there would be no central administration or management of these PCs. The best that you could do would be to designate one PC in each Circle to be a Hub to manage the other 2 computers - certainly not what you are looking for.

There is no server version of OneCare, nor is one planned. The other security product Microsoft has, which is probably overkill for your situation is Forefront Security.

http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/default.mspx

-steve

Friday, January 4, 2008 6:20 PM
  • Steve,

I'm a little confussed (not an uncommon thing).  I now have 5 computers activated on my one account and all 5 show in my circle on my main PC.  This would seem to indicate that there may have been changes and multiple accounts can be opened.

Can you please clarify ASAP if you can.  My subscriptions are due to renew in a couple of weeks, and if One Care can't let me monitor all my systems from one PC, then it looses it's value to me and I'll go with some of the other internet security suites I've purchased that are rated better than one care, but are not as easy to use, and as easy on system resources.

Thanks as always for all the great help you give.  I've had great help from MS support with LOC problems when upgrading to Ver 2.  Seems all the problems were related to my .net 2 on my system. 

Regards,
    Lumpy996

Sunday, January 6, 2008 10:55 PM
  • Hi, Lumpy996, and you're very welcome. :-)

You will not be prevented from activating more than 3 PCs with the same subscription LiveID (at this time), but you also won't be in compliance with the license terms. And, I can't say that it will always be this way. I imagine that your extra copies *could* be removed from the subscription at the server side, but I'm not aware of that happening.

I wish I could tell you that the ability to have more than 3 PCs on a single subscription per the terms of the licensing has been changed or when it will be changed.

-steve

Monday, January 7, 2008 7:44 PM