How to completely shut the program down? RRS feed

• Question

• How can you completely shut the program down? There is no "exit" or "quit" or "allow all" that I've found, only the option to disable the firewall and anti-virus -- with OneCare still running in the background. I just want to completely close it to make sure that it isn't blocking anything while troubleshooting a network problem. I've never seen security software that couldn't be temporarily closed when needed, but I sure haven't found a way to do it with OneCare. Will I have to uninstall it just to get it to shut down? If that's what it takes, I won't be reinstalling it.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 7:19 PM

Answers

• If you disable both the firewall and antivirus you have fairly completely disabled the OneCare protection, though there are still some services running that can only be stopped by using the Services mmc or uninstalling. In most cases, stopping the firewall alone will allow programs that it is blocking. I've heard of few valid reasons for stopping the antivirus, but I'd think that would do the same for situations where it might be detecting something you don't wish it to.

Otherwise, since as with almost all current antivirus and firewall products there is extensive use of services, there really normally isn't a way to disable these within the program. And if there were, it would be just that simple for malware to do the same, which would obviously be a stupid design decision. Even the simple free antivirus I use on an older Windows 2000 PC has services that remain running after I disable its several 'agents'. If I found an antivirus that wasn't this difficult to disable, I'd simply remove it myself as it obviously provides no real protection.

If OneCare might be blocking something in your network, if it isn't fixed by temporarily disabling the firewall it's almost always a conflict with some other security application on the PC, often leftwovers from an older antivirus that wasn't completely uninstalled. In these cases it's usually best to determine if there is an application removal utility available for the old antivirus which can be run. In many cases this will also damage the new antivirus as a side effect, so it may need to be uninstalled and/or reinstalled to fix the damage.

This is quite common with any of the currently available antivirus applications, so acting like OneCare is somehow different in this respect simply shows you haven't done this very often on different PCs. I've run into it many times myself, especially with the major name security applications.

OneCareBear

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 4:07 AM