•  

Hi,

i was wondering if having PCs without the Windows XP stickers are illegal

Thank you.

Monday, December 10, 2007 4:09 AM

Answers

• Monday, December 10, 2007 5:19 AM
  • Ralex,

Please visit http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=coa . This site has valuable information which can help customers answer various questions. I researched your question further and have extracted an answer from the site.

What is a Certificate of Authenticity (COA)?

A Certificate of Authenticity (COA) is a label that helps you identify genuine Microsoft software. A COA is not a software license – it is a visual identifier that assists in determining whether or not the Microsoft software you are running is genuine. However, without it, you will not have a legal license to run Microsoft software. A COA should never be purchased by itself without the software it authenticates.

To help you verify the authenticity of the Microsoft software you acquired, be sure that your software came with one of the following COAs (or a previous version) and that the COA includes the advanced piracy prevention features described.

Ralex,

Hopefully the information answers your question.  Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 10:57 PM

All replies

• Monday, December 10, 2007 5:19 AM
  • Hello Ralex19,

The computer and/or software orginally installed on the software @ the time of purchase or purchasing later came with a COA sticker. Please share more with us as what prompted this question so we may be able to provide you with more assistance. Did you purchase the computer from an auction, online auction, garage sell, or other situation. Are you able to pass the Windows Validation process located @ http://www.microsoft.com/genuine. If you need further assistance please download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.
    5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, December 10, 2007 11:57 PM
  •  

i can download updates, when i run the utility eberything is fine. Most likely the software is legal but for some reason the sticker is not on the computer. What i wanted to know is that, just because the computer has no sticker, does it make it illegal??

What should i do???

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 10:36 PM
  • Ralex,

Please visit http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=coa . This site has valuable information which can help customers answer various questions. I researched your question further and have extracted an answer from the site.

What is a Certificate of Authenticity (COA)?

A Certificate of Authenticity (COA) is a label that helps you identify genuine Microsoft software. A COA is not a software license – it is a visual identifier that assists in determining whether or not the Microsoft software you are running is genuine. However, without it, you will not have a legal license to run Microsoft software. A COA should never be purchased by itself without the software it authenticates.

To help you verify the authenticity of the Microsoft software you acquired, be sure that your software came with one of the following COAs (or a previous version) and that the COA includes the advanced piracy prevention features described.

Ralex,

Hopefully the information answers your question.  Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 10:57 PM