WGA question RRS feed

• Question

• I have a question about Windows Genuine Advantage I want answered by someone if possible.

If I buy anything from a store I only have to prove my ownership through showing a receipt or a credit card statement one time unless I am returning that item then I need to show it again.  They do not show up to my house about once every two weeks to check my receipt.  I am pretty sure I could take legal action against them if they did so.

Now here comes WGA.  It checks multiple times for your "reciept".  Now the ONLY time this should happen is if I am returning it or installing it on my computer because technically it is not being used until I install it.  Which validation does.

How can WGA possibly be doing anything but spying on you when the first time you prove your legit that should be it...end of story until you try to return your product.

Your product is no different then other people.  I use a house that is manufacutred.  I upgrade it from time to time.  If I move furniture in from another company do they check my receipt for the house and for the furniture?

I think this is an invasion of privacy.  You care to show me how it is not? I want exacts to tell me why I should have to be checked when I am first VERIFIED by your company to be legit when I bought the software.  Then why should your company be able to check my receipt (and essentially items on my computer)over and over?  I showed you my copy of my receipt when I bought your product...once I registered that key and it is only able to be validated once..then that is it...don't you look at my receipt again.  You are basically like a CAR SALESMAN...but the difference is I already bought your car and YOU ARE STILL constantly in my face.

To clarify I have always been a legit customer and always will be when buying items.  Piracy will kill the music and movie industry because the money is not there to make the monster movies we all love and the killer music that is not some remake or cut and paste of some lyrics from another. 

I will not however stand by while I am told that this is "needed" to ensure against piracy.  I call B.S Why?  Last I checked the minute you see my first reciept you know I bought it.  Why do I need to keep showing you?  Or the better question why do you need to keep accessing "files" on my computer.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 8:47 PM

Answers

All replies

• Folks have been known to violate the Windows End User License Agreement (EULA) by installing the same license on different computers.  That is one reason WGA came about.  For more information, please visit: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en
    • Marked as answer by JeniferA Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:37 PM
    Tuesday, December 19, 2006 10:43 PM
  • Q: What happens when WGA Notifications communicates with Microsoft when a PC is booted up?
    A:
    The pilot version of this software periodically contacts Microsoft after validation. This feature has been removed from the final version of WGA Notifications. WGA validation process does communicate with Microsoft periodically.

My problem with that is the second sentence.  In the first sentence you said the periodic was removed but in the second sentence it says it still does.

On installing on more then one computer the solution could be this;

In the validation (which should only ever communicate 1 time) take a database of more then the normal 6-8 things WGA can check on.

You can take a database of the entire system including bios, HD, chipset, drives, memory, etc.

If more then 50% of this computer is changed (not adds to the systems just replacements) then the Windows product key is invalid after that unless the user can prove otherwise.  (This can be checked during updates and only when I click on the update to allow the WGA to run from a active x site)  Having someone "check" my system whenever I turn it on is invasion no matter how you look at it.  If I want updates which is a SERVICE then I show you my reciept by clicking the active X to run the WGA only during that install.  That is the way this should be handled.  I wonder with this WGA in effect would the Government have to periodically be "checked"?

I don't mind giving you all the information you want on a one time occassion the first time I install Windows.  You can take an entire inventory of the system including IP etc I dont care.  What I care about is a company that is allowed to come into my home (which once your past my router you are in it) to "check" something.  That needs to change and it could be with what I said.

I'll ask the moderator this.  If you buy a bed from me and everytime you slept in it I would come over and "check" to make sure you had the receipt would that bother you in any way?

This is an invasion don't you think?

Yes I am running WGA right now and to think someone is "checking" something just screams me being taking advantage of by a disgruntled employee at some point.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 11:05 PM
  • Do you gett upset when a bank or clerk asks for your ID when cashing a check or using your own credit card?  The process is called "verification" and it helps protect both you and the financial industry from fraud.
    Tuesday, December 19, 2006 11:28 PM
  • Well Carey, your example doesn't hold water as it doesn't have any similarity to the situation at hand.

It could only stand any kind of similarity if you then added:
    - That bank teller waits outside your home and demands your identification when you get in your car to go to work.
    - That bank teller is in your home and walks in the bathroom to check your identification.
    - That bank teller follows you to the mall and asks for it in the parking lot.
    - That bank teller climbs into bed requires you provide it before you turn in for the evening.

Every time you use your PC, WGA is forcing "verification" rather than simply when you "go to the bank and the clerk asks for your ID".

I'm not "cashing a check" nor using my "credit card" when WGA is requiring verification.  This is what the many comments are talking about.  If Verification was simply when downloading updates, getting support, or upgrading Defender/Office, etc.etc.. there would be no problems.  Unfortunately, WGA has embedded itself (without proper legal warning of this) without any form of un-installation, and proceeds to verify your Windows authentication without your knowledge, desire or even awareness.

This IS the definition of invasive software practices.  If Microsoft installs software that will perform information interchange without the expressed participation and knowledge of the user, it falls under all forms of "worm", "trojan" or "invasive" software definitions that stand today.  While it's not malicious in it's intent, it is indeed categorically and undeniably spyware AND invasive... and due to it's very nature, will only impact paying customers NOT pirates.
    Wednesday, December 20, 2006 10:05 PM
  • Steve,

That is exactly what I am talking about.

You should only have to "verify" when you require service, updates, etc...not every time you turn on your computer someone or some program outside of your home with possible holes in it (whether is human error or software holes) is accessing my computer.  I just want to know why it has to be this way.

The simple answer is it does NOT have to be this way.

I guess when your a multibillion dollar company privacy rights don't apply to you.

Microsoft is nothing but big buissness that is above the law.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006 5:12 AM