2011 Customer Portal Configuration Error: CrmMembershipProvider RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a devil of a time getting the new portal working with our fresh crm2011 installation.  At the moment, this is the error I'm getting:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. 

Parser Error Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error: 

Line 43: 			<providers>
    Line 44: 				<add name="CrmMembershipProvider" type="Microsoft.Xrm.Portal.Web.Security.LiveIdMembershipProvider, Microsoft.Xrm.Portal" liveIdConnectionStringName="Live" />
    Line 45: 			</providers>
    Line 46: 		</membership>

Source File: D:\CustomerPortal2011\Web\web.config    Line: 44 

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1

I have a reference to Microsoft.Xrm.Portal in my project, but not to .Web.Security.  Do I need to create a reference deeper into the namespace?  Also, I'm thinking this issue is probably related to the issue I'm having over here. Ideas?

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 11:25 PM

All replies

• Hi there,
    What does your connection string look like? Do you have the following two lines filled out correctly?
    <add name="Xrm" connectionString="Url=https://contoso.crm.dynamics.com; UserName=test@contoso.com; Password=password; Device ID=contosoorg_deviceid; Device Password=contosoorg_devicepwd_1"/>
    <add name="Live" connectionString="Application Id=<yourappid>; Secret=<yoursecretkey>"/>

The Live Id device id and password also need to be unique to the windows live id you're using and they cannot change.
    Thanks
    - Palak
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 5:56 PM
  • Palak,

How do we find out the <yourappid> and <yoursecretkey> ?

Thanks, chris

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:24 AM
  • RE: How do we find out the <yourappid> and <yoursecretkey> ?

Anyone know the answer to this? as I need to track down what device ID and password was used initially before I can publish Customer portal to the Azure platform.

Thursday, August 4, 2011 12:13 AM
  • Did you create a device id previously that's associated with this live id? If not, you can just create a random string for id and password and enter it in the connection string above.

- Palak

• Proposed as answer by Maria Joaquin Thursday, October 20, 2011 11:47 PM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 5:31 AM