Try this - Solution to some Office XP Validation problems RRS feed

• Question

• Like many others, I have a legitimate, activated copy of Office XP (Students & Teachers version) which has worked well for years but has recently failed to validate correctly when trying to access Office updates.

I followed the advice on various forums etc which was to delete the data.dat file from the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Office Genuine Advantage\data folder and then start an Office application - only to find that the application was still activated and so one could not start the activation wizard.

I've now found the solution. The data.dat file you need to delete is actually the one in this folder: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data

Then when you start an Office application the activation wizard starts automatically and soon sorts the validation problem.

Hope this helps anyone stuck with this new and frustrating problem.

V

PS If the above doesn't work for you, perhaps try deleting both data.dat files and then starting an Office application.
    Friday, April 6, 2007 11:36 PM

Answers

• Victor Delta, thank you very much for this suggestion.  This totally corrected the problem.  I wonder how that data.dat file became corrupted in the first place.  Anyway, problem solved.  Thanks again.

ridgerunner16

Monday, April 9, 2007 3:33 AM
  • Glad it worked.

Actually I wonder if the data.dat files ever were corrupted, especially given the number of people who seem to have had this problem (and there must be many more who, as yet, are totally unaware of it because they haven't yet tried to use MS Office update...).

I think I read something recently suggesting that perhaps the validation system has been modified slightly to cope with Vista etc. I wonder if this is what has caused the hiccup? If so, perhaps MS can sort the problem quickly to avoid others having the same problem as us?

V
    Monday, April 9, 2007 4:28 PM

All replies

• Victor Delta, thank you very much for this suggestion.  This totally corrected the problem.  I wonder how that data.dat file became corrupted in the first place.  Anyway, problem solved.  Thanks again.

ridgerunner16

Monday, April 9, 2007 3:33 AM
  • Glad it worked.

Actually I wonder if the data.dat files ever were corrupted, especially given the number of people who seem to have had this problem (and there must be many more who, as yet, are totally unaware of it because they haven't yet tried to use MS Office update...).

I think I read something recently suggesting that perhaps the validation system has been modified slightly to cope with Vista etc. I wonder if this is what has caused the hiccup? If so, perhaps MS can sort the problem quickly to avoid others having the same problem as us?

V
    Monday, April 9, 2007 4:28 PM