Import Microsoft Money Sunset file to Quicken 2016, but Quicken will not recognize the MS Money file password. RRS feed

• Question

• I want to import a file from Microsoft Money Sunset to Quicken 2016, but Quicken will not recognize the MS Money file password. The error message I get from Quicken is "The Password is incorrect. Please try again." The password is correct as I use it to open the file in Money. I have tried to remove the password through Money's "password manager," but that function does not seem to work in Money. Suggestions?
    Monday, August 1, 2016 8:37 PM

All replies

• Are you able to get into your Money file in Money Sunset?
    Monday, August 1, 2016 9:50 PM
  • Yes. 
    Wednesday, August 3, 2016 2:46 PM
  • If you don't enter your credentials to get into Money because they are remembered, I would save each of your accounts to a loose QIF file, that you name in a meaningful way, while you can still get in. This included both the investment and associated cash account for investment accounts.

If you do enter your credentials to get in, it seems odd that you cannot be rid of your password in File-PasswordManager. What happens when you try? (error message?)

If you have not done the patch described in what is currently the first post in this forum, I would do so. I don't know what all can be affected by not having the patch.

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 3:09 PM
  • When I try to remove the password the error message I get is:

"Your Windows Live ID (email address and password) was not removed. Please try again."

I am not sure what patch you mean? Is this it?

This post has been revised. There is now a reference to a path for downloading a patch for Money Plus Deluxe and for Money Plus US Business. This patch does not seem to apply to Money 2005. I don't know about Money 2006 and Money 2007. A pre-patched file for the
    Money Plus Business version is pointed to in the last paragraph of this post............

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 6:29 PM
  • Yes. It may not help this situation, but it will not hurt. I hope it helps.

Do you enter your login credentials each time you start Money Sunset?

If so, try this: Right-click the Money launch icon, and choose RunAsAdministrator. See if that helps.

if that did not succeed in letting you remove the login credentials, the next thing will be to try to make a   level 2 repaired version of your file.

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 8:56 PM
  • I tried the patch. After installing the patch, I turned off the wifi, restarted Money Sunset, and tried to remove PW, but no go.

I do not have to enter credentials each time. The "remember password" function works.

I tried Run As Administrator after disconnecting the wifi, but still no go.

I attempted the level 2 repair, but when I click on Begin Repair it asks for the file password. After I enter the PW the following error message comes up:

"The utility could not repair your file. Repair a different version of your file, restore a back up file, or reinstall Money. You should also make sure your file is not saved as read-only. (0x800a144e)"

The file is not read-only. I tried with a restored file from the back up and received the same error message.

You have been incredibly patient and I am very grateful for your help and keeping my hope alive.

Thursday, August 4, 2016 3:53 AM
  • I do not have to enter credentials each time. The "remember password" function works.

I would do that File->Export for all of your accounts.

If you got locked out of your file, that could get much of your data back. It is not perfect, but it would be much better than nothing. Give each file a meaningful name related to the account.

Save the files now. Don't worry about how to use them unless you need to at some point. Then you can learn how to import them into a new file.

Thursday, August 4, 2016 4:03 AM
  • OK, I am doing it.
    Thursday, August 4, 2016 4:25 PM
  • If your Money access credential is a Windows Live ID replace it with a simple password in Money's Password Manager.
    Thursday, August 4, 2016 6:01 PM
  • DominicP:

My current PW is five alphabet all lower case + two numerical. Is this not simple enough?  

When I try to change the password i.e. select "Yes, I want to change the Windows Live ID I use to sign in to my Money file," it asks for a new Windows Live ID email and password to proceed. Therefore, the function seems to be designed to change the password after I change my Windows Live ID password.

What am I doing wrong?

Thursday, August 4, 2016 9:09 PM
  • You should see an option to remove your Windows Live ID and change to a simple password.

If you have been using Money for many years and never removed a Microsoft Passport (an earlier version of Windows Live ID) the message you see may be misleading. Microsoft Passports can no longer be removed or changed.

Quicken may only be able to import files protected by a simple password.

Thursday, August 4, 2016 10:30 PM
  • DominicP:  I have tried to remove the Windows Live ID, but as I originally stated this function does not work. I have been using Money for years.

What do you mean by a "simple" password? I thought mine was pretty simple.

Friday, August 5, 2016 1:20 AM
  • A "simple" password is just a password.

I think you never removed a Microsoft Passport when prompted. If so, there is now nothing you can do to remove or change it.

Friday, August 5, 2016 6:59 AM
  • Yes, that seems to be the consensus. Thank you for trying to help. I appreciate it!
    Friday, August 5, 2016 3:07 PM
  • As a test, I put a conventional password on to a Microsoft Money Sunset file. I exited Money. I started Money again, and it asked for the password.

File->PasswordManager gave window with
    "I want to change or remove my Money password" as a choice.

I clicked Next. Then I clicked the Remove button. I got window asking for confirmation, and the password was removed.

I am suspecting that you click Remove, but you get that error message.

It seems odd that you cannot do a standard file repair because that will not accept your password. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. How long since you had to actually enter your Money password to get into Money?

If you want information on using the QIF files to put your data into a new Money file with no password, let us know. Quicken can also import QIF files directly. I don't know that procedure, but I am confident that the process is available.

Quicken is going through some changes. I tried https://qlc.intuit.com/ and see that it goes to a different place.

Friday, August 5, 2016 8:12 PM
  • Cal Learner: I use Money daily with the Live ID email/password. I am simply unable to either change or remove the password from my file nor perform a standard file repair.

Please do send instruction on "using the QIF files to put your data into a new Money file with no password." From there, as you state, I should be able to import the Money file without password into Quicken.

Friday, August 5, 2016 9:53 PM
  • To do QIF Export+Import, you will need to export each account that you
    want to keep.  Do both regular and Investment accounts.  Make the
    filenames meaningful. You already did that, but check that you did not
    miss something.

When you choose a filename for an investment account, I suggest that you
    make the first character of the filename to be an underscore (_).
    Start the filename of other accouts with a letter.   Thus you might have
    _BrownInvestment.qif and BrownInvestmentCash.qif.  This would cause
    the investment account to be processed prior to the associated cash
    account.  When the BrownInvestment got created, you would specify
    that you want to track the cash transactions.  Then specify that
    the cash transactions account for BrownInvestment was where the
    BrownInvestmentCash.qif transactions get sent. If you already saved the
    investment and associated cash accounts, if necessary, rename one of
    them to make the investment account file name to be alphabetically before
    the associated cash accounts.

I am fearing that while you get into money with the cached password, for whatever
    reason, if you needed to enter your password now. I don't know, but you have not
    actually said that you entered the password after your problems started. So
    the part about different computer would be with that in mind... If you are confident
    you can get into Money by entering your password, you could ignore the "different
    computer bit below.

Once you have all of the QIF files saved, that will be a milestone.
    I would create a new Money file (File->New->New file) ON A DIFFERENT COMPUTER.
    The different computer would have the effect of Money not forgetting the cached password on
    the original computer. It would also be handy to be able to refer back to the
    original file when adjusting things. Give that file some meaningful name so
    as to not confuse it with a different Money file. Do not put a password on this new file, and ignore any recommendation to do so.

Copy the QIF files to the new computer.
    Then from the new file File->Import ALL AT ONCE using Ctrl+<click> to select files.
    Specify "New or Recovered" account when asked. The reason for the all-at-once
    thing is to allow Money to recognize transfers.

There are things that will not come across, but you will have a clean file.
    You may have to adjust balances. Stock symbols will not come across.

Friday, August 5, 2016 10:57 PM
  • Cal Learner: thank you for this! A few things,

1. I assume export in "Loose QIF" format?

2. When I try to export files under "Regular" I do not see loans (auto loan, mortgage). How do I export those accounts?

3. Should I handle "Asset" accounts (e.g. Antiques, jewelry) in a special way?

4. You stated "I don't know, but you have not actually said that you entered the password after your problems started." I have used the password repeatedly and still use it to open my file. But, perhaps I should still follow through with your advice to use a different computer?

5. I am not not sure about this instruction: "Then from the new file File->Import ALL AT ONCE using Ctrl+<click> to select files. Specify "New or Recovered" account when asked."

- Under File/import I am given two options, "Downloaded Statements..." and "Recover Accounts..."

- Under "Recover Accounts..." I am given an import file box listing all the files I can select to import. I can select multiple files by using the SHIFT key not CONTROL key

- Should I select all files this way to import?

• Edited by jkoberlin Sunday, August 7, 2016 4:25 PM
    Sunday, August 7, 2016 4:24 PM
  • Yes. it doesn't matter how you select them (control, shift), but what matters is that they are all selected. All of them. At the same time.

By doing this, if you have a transfer from Account X to Account Y, Money will recognise this, and will import the data correctly. If you don't select all the files, and you import the files one at a time, Money will import any transfer transactions as simple "pay out" and "pay in" in each account, rather than linking both "sides" of the transaction.

If i recall correctly, loans and mortgages will have to be set up from scratch.

Jim

Sunday, August 7, 2016 7:51 PM
  • >1. I assume export in "Loose QIF" format?

Yes

>
    >2. When I try to export files under "Regular" I do not see loans (auto loan, mortgage). How do I export those accounts?

I don't know. I was unaware of that limitation. I just tried to see if I could change the account type, but I was unable to do so. What you could experiment with is to create a new loan and indicate that "yes, payments have already been made".  If you choose Yes.., the next screen has you select "Yes, record them all" or "No, record payments for this year". It will take experimentation, and it would  be best to do that into the new empty file, before you added in the QIF files. That would not recognize transfers as such, so you would have to do that manually in a clean-up operation. Or you could choose to only have the accounts reflect what is going forward rather than trying to reflect the whole past of the loan.

>
    >3. Should I handle "Asset" accounts (e.g. Antiques, jewelry) in a special way?
    >
    >>4. You stated "I don't know, but you have not actually said that you entered the password after your problems started." I have used the password repeatedly and still use it to open my file. But, perhaps I should still follow through with your advice to use a different computer?

Thanks for clarifying that. My concern was that Money was remembering the password (and that you were mis-remembering). It is clear now that that is not the case.

Just thinking ... it might be worth trying installing Money Sunset on a different computer and see if that would let Money remove the password directly. Maybe even dust off the old Windows 95 machine that you set aside, thinking maybe you would have a use some day. I don't know that it would have much chance of being successful in this mission, but a small chance is still a chance. I am just speculating. I would try it due to the big value if it were to succeed.

>
    >5. I am not not sure about this instruction: "Then from the new file File->Import ALL AT ONCE using Ctrl+<click> to select files. Specify "New or Recovered" account when asked."
    >
    >- Under File/import I am given two options, "Downloaded Statements..." and "Recover Accounts..."

You want Recover.

>
    >- Under "Recover Accounts..." I am given an import file box listing all the files I can select to import. I can select multiple files by using the SHIFT key not CONTROL key
    >
    >- Should I select all files this way to import?

Shift lets you select a contiguous list of files, but does not let you pick and choose.

To use Ctrl, hold down the CTRL key and then click individual files. If you click a selected file that is already selected, it will de-select that one.

Monday, August 8, 2016 1:37 PM
  • Do you have to check the box to "sign in to Money directly, without access to all online services"? You may have set up some of your accounts to download using Yodlee or CashEdge, which utilized the MoneyCentral servers.

When you go to the Password Manager within Money, do you get any errors when you click to "Remove" the password? I just tried with an old file of mine, and it worked. You will be unable to "Change" the password, but removing the password, then going back and adding a Money Password, should work,

Bob - MSN Mobile

Monday, August 8, 2016 7:36 PM
  • Jim: thank you for the advice. 

Bob: I am not given the option to "sign in to Money directly, without access to all online services." I do get an error when I try to remove PW that it was not removed. This was the original fundamental problem I was facing.

Cal: once again, I am greatly indebted for your detailed advice. On trying an older computer with an older Windows, I have tried it on the last computer I used before Money sunsetted - Windows XP with Money 2002 not connected to the internet. It didn't work. I will try the suggestion on loans/mortgages, but I may ust follow Bob's suggestion to start from scratch since I only have two accounts.

Thank you all!

Jiyul

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 3:12 AM