Help Assigning Business Unit to Security Role RRS feed

• Question

• Business Unit : B1, B2,B3 [ B1 is the parent of B2 and B3 ]

Security Role: Sales managner, Salesperson, Marketing Mgr , Marketing Porfessional

I'd like B2 to be the business unit of Sales mgr and salesperson and B3 of Marketing mgr and marketing prof. [Yes, B1 is the parent of B2 and B3]

The problem is CRM doesnt allow to change the Business unit of security roles. Even I copied from exisiting role I couldnt change business unit. I dont want to create new role coz I jst want to change the name.

Now my case is

pesonA has  Sales managner role and Business unit B2 ( But Sale mgr role has business unit B1)

personB has  Marketing managner role and Business unit B3 ( But marketing mgr role has business unit B1)

In that case, system assuems personA and personB are in same Business unit or different business unit ? I want to have different.

ei
    Friday, March 18, 2011 8:55 AM

Answers

• Hi KwiKwi,

Unfortunately roles like Salesperson , SalesManger are inherited roles and you can not change inherited roles.

Secondaly you can change the BU of roles.

As per your problem statement , I guess you are trying to set up something lik...

B1 -> Root BU (having all roles)

B2 -> Sales Dept (parent BU B1)

B3 - Marketing Dept (parent BU B1)

In this case , i think the ideal solution will be to create custom sales roles and custom marketing roles in B2 and B3 BU respectively.

Regards,
    Joshi

Joshi
    Friday, March 18, 2011 9:56 AM

All replies

• Assuming you are using CRM 4.0, when you create a security role in B1, a copy of it is made in B2 and B3. I don't think you can change the BU of a security role because you shouldn't ever need to.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Friday, March 18, 2011 9:04 AM
  • Then my sale and marketing people are in same BU even I make different BU for each security roles ?
    ei
    Friday, March 18, 2011 9:34 AM
  • Hi KwiKwi,

Unfortunately roles like Salesperson , SalesManger are inherited roles and you can not change inherited roles.

As per your problem statement , I guess you are trying to set up something lik...

In this case , i think the ideal solution will be to create custom sales roles and custom marketing roles in B2 and B3 BU respectively.

Regards,
    Joshi

Joshi
    Friday, March 18, 2011 9:56 AM
  • Hi KwiKwi,

Regards,
    Joshi

Joshi

hi as per the highlighted area, you have mentioned that BU can be changed for a securoty role.

can you please let me know how it can be?

Regards,

Sudhanshu

yes.sudhanshu

http://bproud2banindian.blogspot.com
    http://ms-crm-2011-beta.blogspot.com

Monday, June 4, 2012 3:36 AM
  • When you create a security role, a copy of the security role is created in every child business unit of the business unit in which you created the security role. The standard security roles exist in your root parent business unit and in every child business unit.

I don't think you can change the business unit of a security role. You would need to create a custom security role in BU2 and another custom security role in BU3.

Creating security roles in child business units is possible, but not best practice. Security roles created in child business units cannot be included within a solution so they can't be easily exported and transported to another CRM organization. It's also possible to create two different security roles in different child business units that have different privileges but the same name, which makes it very confusing to support. It's better just to create all your custom security roles in the root parent business unit, and do not modify any of the standard security roles (always make a copy and modify the copy).

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Slalom Consulting. Find me on Twitter. Join over 20,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Monday, June 4, 2012 3:52 AM
  • I think you should re-access your approach based on the core requirement. Probably, assigning proper access levels (Business Unit / Parent: Child Business Units) will solve your problem.

Using above access levels, if you create users in B2/B3 business units with Sales manager / Marketing manager roles, they will have access to records owned by users of corresponding business usints only and not of B1.

Or just follow Neils suggestion of creating additional roles in B2/B3.

- Arvind

Monday, June 4, 2012 8:03 AM
  • Hi Sudhanshu,

BU cannot be changed for security role and can be chosen while creating but the security roles have already been defined with root BU and users belong to different business units.

My question is do they have access to records owned by their BU or BU tied to their security roles ?

Note: It was 4.0

Regards,

Ei Thiri Lwin

ei

Monday, June 4, 2012 7:02 PM