WHS & Offline Files RRS feed

• Question

• Prior to using WHS I relied on Offline Files pretty heavily and really liked it's functionality, though after getting WHS I gave it up and went to GoodSync due to a problem with Offline files that I can't quite remember the full detail of - I think it had to do with corruption of data.

Can anyone tell me if Offline Files in XP now works with WHS?
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 6:00 AM

Answers

• Offline Folders in the Windows Home Server context are according to some reports difficult to handle (and has never been an officially supported scenario). While the content of the folders is optically made available properly, applications like MS Office seem to have problems accessing them, if the server is not connected (which could have to do with trying to load tombstones instead of files).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, March 13, 2009 12:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by svAndiamo Friday, March 13, 2009 3:37 AM
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 11:28 AM

All replies

• Offline Folders in the Windows Home Server context are according to some reports difficult to handle (and has never been an officially supported scenario). While the content of the folders is optically made available properly, applications like MS Office seem to have problems accessing them, if the server is not connected (which could have to do with trying to load tombstones instead of files).

Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, March 13, 2009 12:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by svAndiamo Friday, March 13, 2009 3:37 AM
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 11:28 AM
  •  Your response has reminded me of what went wrong with Offline files.... it seemed to connect and disconnect at random.  For instance I would be connected to the network and it would then disconnect for no reason, and I would lose my work

I'm surprised that this hasn't been dealt with or isn't supported since it's such a wonderful tool.
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:12 PM
  • I have experienced issues with offline files in the past on normal Windows 2003 servers - which was the reason to disable this stuff completely in our corporate network. If this is not working perfectly here, why it should at home?
    Olaf
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 8:38 PM
  • Yeah... not really the answer I was hoping for, but I guess it's the truth of where the product is today.

Thanks for the help.
    Friday, March 13, 2009 3:37 AM