XPSP2IE6 VM says "victim of software counterfeiting" RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded the .vhd file from Microsoft, created a new virtual machine in VirtualPC 2007 under XP prof. SP2 (legally preinstalled manufacturer OEM version with all updates that passed WGA check). When I started it said "to use the new hardware you have to restart the system". After booting I get a message "You may be a victim of software counterfeiting" and I cannot pass the WGA check. System date and time are correct. On the desktop there is a string saying "Evaluation copy. Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519 (Service Pack 2)"

What's that?

Sunday, March 25, 2007 5:24 PM

Answers

• This message appears on my desktop when I switch on my computer since I tried to update my Windows"You may be a victim of software counterfeiting", "This copy of Windows did not pass the validation genuine". I found out that this message appears because my system as yours            (I think) is not original. It is copy. It is not our fault. Be careful! I also read that this can open the door to many viruses and spywares.
    Tuesday, March 27, 2007 6:06 PM
  • Hi XPtester,

In order to recieve the best support, we request all users initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool to try and identify the issue you may be having.

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:
    1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Program Manager

--------------------------------------------------------

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 8:31 PM
  • Hi Darin,

thanks for your reply.

The Windows tab shows the following information:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked PID
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-9QPMB-M3M6D-MPBGB
    Windows Product Key Hash: Te4H+G75uuiovK4YKMfUC/gOWjo=
    Windows Product ID: *** not-posted-here ***
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: febd36a9-d697-4cce-b37f-641d1884a28a
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.17.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

The system is "Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2", registered to "IE6 Virtual PC Test Image", which was downloaded original from Microsoft. It is the virtual machine for using IE6 on XP, provided by Microsoft.
    Wednesday, April 4, 2007 3:59 PM

•   Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 8), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VLk editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Large corporations, Large Schools and Governments normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

This is why you are seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

I can provide you 3 options:

1) Contact the person/company that sold you the software and demand the Genuine Microsoft software, that you paid for or a refund.

2) Click on the blue star in the System Tray and Submit a Piracy Report to Microsoft. If it is a High Quality counterfeit (go to http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/default.mspx for comparisons), you may be eligible for a free replacement.

3) Click on the blue start in the System Tray and purchase a Windows Genuine Advantage Kit.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

----------------------------------------------------

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 10:06 PM
  • Hi Darin,

thank you for your reply.

The XP version I am talking of is the image downloaded from

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=21EABB90-958F-4B64-B5F1-73D0A413C8EF&displaylang=en

called "Internet Explorer 6 Application Compatibility VPC Image", so I don't understand why this is not a valid version. I also tried all possibilities on the "How to tell" page, but none of them worked.

I simply created a new virtual machine in VirtualPC 2007 and connected to the hard disk image downloaded from that URL. After starting that machine I had to reboot it once because it found a new hardware item, then I got the message about counterfeiting.

The XP version of the host computer passed the WGA test with "valid" (Fujitsu-Siemens OEM).

Saturday, April 7, 2007 12:18 PM
  • XPTester,

Just a guess, but that new hardware item might be the thing that is creating the problem.

Can you disable the new hardware item so that it is no longer in the mix?

Saturday, April 7, 2007 2:33 PM
  • Hello XPtester,

Very sorry, I was not aware that the "Internet Explorer 6 Application Compatibility VPC Image" had a "pre-activated Windows XP SP2". There is a conversation about this going on here and that I have now been included in.

My understaning of the issue is that since the VPC is essentially a Free Version of Windows XP (set to expire on 07/23/2007), the PID must be blocked so that the Product Key can't be extracted and used to activate a non-Virtual version of XP that wouldn't expire.

As far as WGA is concerned, a Blocked PID is Non-Genuine. I am getting confirmation that this is absolute, but from the infornation I have, this is expected behavior. I will post back when I get full confirmation.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 8:52 PM
  • UPDATE:

It appears that PeteL Product Manager, Internet Explorer, Developer Division is aware of the issue and will be releasing a new image that should resolve this issue. Please see PeteL's blog at http://blogs.msdn.com/petel/archive/2007/04/02/ie6-vpc-amp-ie7-vpc.aspx for additional details.

Hope this helps!

Thank you,

Darin Smith

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 9:35 PM
  • Having loaded my genuine copy of MS Win XP Prof there was no problem with validating. One year later, or so, suddenly I am asked to validate again and now I am told that I have a counterfeit copy. Furthermore,on using the check system shown this does not work having a script error that does not mean anything [to me]. What do I do? Whatever is going on. Here I have the certificate with the registered MS number which is not recognised as MS
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 2:35 PM
  • Barney1,

If you are saying that when you try to run the mgadiag utility available at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012   you receive a script error, please post the exact error message that is shown.  Thanx!

Monday, June 11, 2007 12:59 AM
  • It appears that on running the check that I was another victim of fraud. Thanks for the help anyway.
    Monday, June 11, 2007 8:01 AM

All replies

• This message appears on my desktop when I switch on my computer since I tried to update my Windows"You may be a victim of software counterfeiting", "This copy of Windows did not pass the validation genuine". I found out that this message appears because my system as yours            (I think) is not original. It is copy. It is not our fault. Be careful! I also read that this can open the door to many viruses and spywares.
    Tuesday, March 27, 2007 6:06 PM
  • Hi XPtester,

In order to recieve the best support, we request all users initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool to try and identify the issue you may be having.

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:
    1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 8:31 PM
  • Hi Darin,

thanks for your reply.

The Windows tab shows the following information:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked PID
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-9QPMB-M3M6D-MPBGB
    Windows Product Key Hash: Te4H+G75uuiovK4YKMfUC/gOWjo=
    Windows Product ID: *** not-posted-here ***
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    ID: febd36a9-d697-4cce-b37f-641d1884a28a
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.17.0
    Validation Diagnostic:

The system is "Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2", registered to "IE6 Virtual PC Test Image", which was downloaded original from Microsoft. It is the virtual machine for using IE6 on XP, provided by Microsoft.
    Wednesday, April 4, 2007 3:59 PM

•   Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 8), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VLk editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Large corporations, Large Schools and Governments normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

This is why you are seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

I can provide you 3 options:

1) Contact the person/company that sold you the software and demand the Genuine Microsoft software, that you paid for or a refund.

2) Click on the blue star in the System Tray and Submit a Piracy Report to Microsoft. If it is a High Quality counterfeit (go to http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/default.mspx for comparisons), you may be eligible for a free replacement.

3) Click on the blue start in the System Tray and purchase a Windows Genuine Advantage Kit.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 10:06 PM
  • Hi Darin,

thank you for your reply.

The XP version I am talking of is the image downloaded from

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=21EABB90-958F-4B64-B5F1-73D0A413C8EF&displaylang=en

called "Internet Explorer 6 Application Compatibility VPC Image", so I don't understand why this is not a valid version. I also tried all possibilities on the "How to tell" page, but none of them worked.

I simply created a new virtual machine in VirtualPC 2007 and connected to the hard disk image downloaded from that URL. After starting that machine I had to reboot it once because it found a new hardware item, then I got the message about counterfeiting.

The XP version of the host computer passed the WGA test with "valid" (Fujitsu-Siemens OEM).

Saturday, April 7, 2007 12:18 PM
  • XPTester,

Just a guess, but that new hardware item might be the thing that is creating the problem.

Can you disable the new hardware item so that it is no longer in the mix?

Saturday, April 7, 2007 2:33 PM
  • Hello XPtester,

Very sorry, I was not aware that the "Internet Explorer 6 Application Compatibility VPC Image" had a "pre-activated Windows XP SP2". There is a conversation about this going on here and that I have now been included in.

My understaning of the issue is that since the VPC is essentially a Free Version of Windows XP (set to expire on 07/23/2007), the PID must be blocked so that the Product Key can't be extracted and used to activate a non-Virtual version of XP that wouldn't expire.

As far as WGA is concerned, a Blocked PID is Non-Genuine. I am getting confirmation that this is absolute, but from the infornation I have, this is expected behavior. I will post back when I get full confirmation.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 8:52 PM
  • UPDATE:

It appears that PeteL Product Manager, Internet Explorer, Developer Division is aware of the issue and will be releasing a new image that should resolve this issue. Please see PeteL's blog at http://blogs.msdn.com/petel/archive/2007/04/02/ie6-vpc-amp-ie7-vpc.aspx for additional details.

Hope this helps!

Thank you,

Darin Smith

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 9:35 PM
  • Having loaded my genuine copy of MS Win XP Prof there was no problem with validating. One year later, or so, suddenly I am asked to validate again and now I am told that I have a counterfeit copy. Furthermore,on using the check system shown this does not work having a script error that does not mean anything [to me]. What do I do? Whatever is going on. Here I have the certificate with the registered MS number which is not recognised as MS
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 2:35 PM
  • Barney1,

If you are saying that when you try to run the mgadiag utility available at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012   you receive a script error, please post the exact error message that is shown.  Thanx!

Monday, June 11, 2007 12:59 AM
  • It appears that on running the check that I was another victim of fraud. Thanks for the help anyway.
    Monday, June 11, 2007 8:01 AM
  • Barney1,

If the computer whose XP installation is coming up nongenuine has a Certificate of Authenticity affixed to it, then don't give up hope just yet because the CoA means it is licensed to run whatever version or edition of Windows is listed on the CoA.  Somewhere in the materials that came with the computer could be a Windows CoA, or if you have Windows that came in a retail box, there will be a CoA on the boxtop.

Please follow these steps:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA).  If you have one, tell us about the CoA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key printed on the CoA.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 1:12 PM
  •  

hello

I have a icon on taskbar that wrote you must be a a victim of software counterfeiting.I want to delete this icon from my taskbar.please help me that why I can to delete that from my taskbar.thanks for your help

alieslami_shop@yahoo.com

Sunday, February 17, 2008 9:04 AM
  • Hello alieslami_shop,

Please follow Dan's advice in the previous post and post back here with your information.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, February 18, 2008 9:30 PM
  • as iam new coustomer i don't no much about xp and my problem is when I switch on my computer since I tried to update my Windows"You may be a victim of software counterfeiting", "This copy of Windows di I switch on my computer since I tried to update my Windows"You may be a victim of software counterfeiting", "This copy of Windows did not pass the validation genuined not pass the validation genuine. please give me some suggetions

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 5:27 PM
  •  

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0095.0):
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Validation Code: 3
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-WHPW6-4BBBQ-YBBMY
    Windows Product Key Hash: CgJj+uPrafK8gia6f4QJVow5vEQ=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-646-4472083-23253
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {78109B8A-2932-408D-911A-1686D3C11B98}(3)
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.18.7
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.7
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{78109B8A-2932-408D-911A-1686D3C11B98}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0095.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-YBBMY</PKey><PID>55274-646-4472083-23253</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-796845957-57989841-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Gateway</Manufacturer><Model>T6216</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>080012 </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20051115000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>55C939770184C066</HWID><UserLCID>1009</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57395</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="19" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="44" Version="11" Result="114"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Sunday, May 11, 2008 10:14 PM
  • Ok, first of all the disclaimer.  There are many reasons why Microsoft might detect an irregularity and confuse legitimate software for non-legitimate.  In the meantime you can do these fixes 'til ol' Bill gets around to you.  Let it be said that counterfeit software is against the law and this information is not intended to support you losers.  Okay, now to the meat and bones.  Anybody telling you to delete stuff or screw with your registry is only putting you in a world of hurt.  It's much easier than that.

So Microsoft is detecting a pirated XP on your drive (truly not pirated of course, because you have a legit copy . . . naturally).  You will have a blue star logo annoyingly appearing on the tray.  It will persist and get worst.  Here's the fix.  Go to “My Computer” icon>Local Disc (CSmile>Windows>system32. Now find and rename these two files (any other name will do): “WgaTray.exe” and “WgaLogon.dll”. Now close the window. Hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete, click “Task Manager” and click the “Processes” tab, click on “wgatray.exe” and click “End Process” button, a warning window will pop up and hit “Yes”. Restart computer and BLUE STAR GONE BYE BYE. 

Hmm, hmmm until you fix the supposed pirated issue you may still see a warning icon in you tray prompting you to update.  The Windows Update icon will connect you to the Microsoft website where it will redetect the non-resolved issue (as of yet) and the start the cycle all over.  To get rid of that pesky little updates icon follow these steps.  Go to “Start” button>run>type in "services.msc" and there's gonna be two areas you want to concern yourself with in that window. First is "Automatic Updates": right click on that and hit properties and the properties window pop up, you will see "Startup type", select manual and hit "apply". Now click "Automatic Updates" and at the upper left corner select "stop the service". The second area of concern is "Security Center", take the same two steps that you did for "Automatic Updates". When you've finished go up to the file button of the window and hit exit. Then restart you computer. VOILA!

Now please note until you resolve the pirated issue you will be able to download security updates but will not be able to bask in the plethera of Microsoft wonders.  Such as Internet Explorer version 7 (although you will have version 6) or Windows Media player version 11 (but you will have version 10).  I know . . . it's crushing.   Besides Firefox and WinAmp are much better alternative anyway.

Hope this helps until you . . . resolve your issue with Microsoft.  ; )

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 10:07 AM
  • hi

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 10:14 AM

•  

There are many reasons why Microsoft would detect an irregularity on legitimate XP software and thusly, label it as pirated (some estimates have it as high as 50%).  The following steps are designed to keep Microsoft’s reminders at bay until those issues can be resolved.  This will work on all XP software to keep your computer running smooth and without interruption.  However, many times the issues are not resolved for quite a length of time and as such you may have to repeat these steps should the symptoms recur.  In no way is this intended to support pirated software.  Pirated software hurts the pockets of businesses (from the small to the absolutely ridiculously GINORMOUS).  Please support our multi-multi-billion dollar friend at our corner, Microsoft.

The first thing you will notice when Microsoft labels you a thief is a blue star logo on your system tray.  It’s the Genuine Windows Advantage software which says that you are stealing from Uncle Bill.  It will concurrently or shortly be followed by an obsessing windows update icon.  The following steps will show you how remove these nuances until your issues of being incorrectly labeled as pirated software can be resolved with Microsoft.

For the blue star logo follow these steps to the “T”.  Go to “My Computer” icon>Local Disc ( C: )>Windows>system32.  Now rename these two files (any other name will do: spot, scruffy, milred, whatever.): “WgaTray.exe” and “WgaLogon.dll”.  Once the the files have been renamed then close window.  Hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete, click “Task Manager” and click the “Processes” tab, click on “wgatray.exe” and click “End Process” button and warning window will pop up and hit “Yes”.  Restart computer and BLUE STAR GONE BYE BYE.

To handle the annoying windows update icon on your system tray follow these steps to the “T”.  Go to: “Start” button>run>type in "services.msc" and there's gonna be two areas you want to concern yourself with in that window.  First is "Automatic Updates":  right click on that and hit properties and the properties window pop up, you will see "Startup type", select manual and hit "apply".  Now click "Automatic Updates" and at the upper left corner select "stop the service".  The second area of concern is "Security Center", take the same two steps that you did for "Automatic Updates".  When you've finished go up to the file button of the window and hit exit.  Then restart your computer.  VOILA!

These steps will allow you to run your XP machine without any interruptions and will operate seemingly normal.  I did say seemingly, right?  You must understand that Uncle Bill thinks you are trying to prevent him from becoming a trillionaire, which makes our Uncle Bill most unhappy.  That said, during this time you may at any time update your machine for security updates however, in his spite you will not be able to update certain software.  He will keep you from basking in plethora of creations the Microsoft gods have created such as: internet explorer 7 (but you will have version 6), media player 11 (but you will have version 10), etc. and so on.  I know . . . it’s crushing.   But do not despair, the gods of another universe have created Firefox and Winamp, which are equally worthy of worship.  I know Microsoft is only using it’s available resources to protect its’ interests, that of the consumer, and protect us all from malicious pirates.  I just want to take a moment to thank uncle Bill.  Kids, thank your Uncle Bill.

Sunday, May 25, 2008 9:30 PM