Free Trial About To Expire - What Should I Do? RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Vista64 (recent install/upgrade from XP) and decided to go with OneCare and have been quite pleased with it.  I was about to renew and install it on the other two computers in my house when I found out it was being discontinued - something apparently not very well disclosed when I installed it.  I previously used AT&T's Internet Security Suite, which also covered my three computers (but does not - or did not - work on Vista64).  Since One care is going away, it does not make sense to install it on the other two computers.  Hopefully AT&T will have released the Vista64 version of their suite as it will not cost me additional $$ to install it.  Opinions?
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 1:32 AM

Answers

• Try logging into your Windows Live Billing account at billing.microsoft.com and click the 'renew' button.  If you're due for renewal right now, you should be offered a free 6 month extension to OneCare to 'hold you over' until Morro is released later this year.  If not, just cancel the renewal and don't accept being charged.

Morro is the free anti-malware only product that will be replacing OneCare for use on Windows XP/Vista/Win 7 though it won't have the additional features like backup and the hub.  It will be complete protection, just leaner and free, so it's an option to look at before you decide.

See the Announcement 11/18/08 thread at the top of this forum for links to more about Morro.

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 3:03 AM

All replies

• Try logging into your Windows Live Billing account at billing.microsoft.com and click the 'renew' button.  If you're due for renewal right now, you should be offered a free 6 month extension to OneCare to 'hold you over' until Morro is released later this year.  If not, just cancel the renewal and don't accept being charged.

Morro is the free anti-malware only product that will be replacing OneCare for use on Windows XP/Vista/Win 7 though it won't have the additional features like backup and the hub.  It will be complete protection, just leaner and free, so it's an option to look at before you decide.

See the Announcement 11/18/08 thread at the top of this forum for links to more about Morro.

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 3:03 AM
  • I am running Vista64 (recent install/upgrade from XP) and decided to go with OneCare and have been quite pleased with it.  I was about to renew and install it on the other two computers in my house when I found out it was being discontinued - something apparently not very well disclosed when I installed it.  I previously used AT&T's Internet Security Suite, which also covered my three computers (but does not - or did not - work on Vista64).  Since One care is going away, it does not make sense to install it on the other two computers.  Hopefully AT&T will have released the Vista64 version of their suite as it will not cost me additional $$ to install it.  Opinions?

I have AT&T internet service, and a Vista 64 bit. I am going to go with something else too. I also was very pleased with OneCare, but technology changes so quickly, it seems I'm changing and buying replacement products all the time. And I don't have the money to keep doing that. But I guess I'll just have to. It's the technology age-----I can't fight it!! Good luck on finding something you like!
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 3:16 AM