none
Telephone scams still happening

Question

• Im running MS Windows 7,  and use a virus scan daily, as well as a deep cleaning once a week. got a call this afternoon from an Indian man (think Peter Sellers) with a mumbled name who said he was a technician with MS and we had a "terrible" (but unnamed) virus in our computer.  I went along with it, up to a point, not realizing that MS does not cold call anyone.  He said they had tried to contact me for 'days".  First I ever heard of it, lol.

I let him lead me through a few opening steps, and he went ballistic when I questioned his credentials.  When he started telling me to delete the "cmd" command line, I quietly hung up the phone.  And came here.  

Wish I had the number, I never thought to save it--but I did notice it was  an 888-number...don't know where else to put this, but all I really wanted to say was, if you didnt get a letter from MS, don't believe the nice man on the other end of the  phone. 

• Moved by Just KarlModerator Monday, October 24, 2016 5:21 PM Looking for the correct forum.
    Friday, October 14, 2016 10:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

The 'Academic Initiatives - General Discussions' forum is for any posts not covered under any of the other forums as related to Microsoft's Academic Initiatives.

As it's off-topic here, I am moving the question to the Where is the forum for... forum.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Monday, October 24, 2016 5:17 PM
  • Hello,

You are correct that Microsoft does not call people about problems on their computer.

For anyone else who is looking, see Avoid tech support phone scams

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Monday, October 24, 2016 5:19 PM