Remote Desktop to Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Im not completely sure how to remote desktop to the server.

I have brought up the window to the remote desktop from a PC connected to the Server, but cannot connect to the server ... I put in the server name that I gave it when I installed it ex. MYSERVER and the password ex. password12 ...

Is this correct, or should I use the IP address?

Thanks,

Downzz
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 3:27 PM

Answers

• First, remote Desktop isn't a supported access method. Microsoft intends that all normal server admin should be done through the Windows Home Server console. There are tools available on the desktop that can significantly damage server functionality, possibly causing data loss or requiring reinstallation of Windows Home Server; some of those tools are things that you would think would be perfectly harmless.

That said, when you try to connect to your server, you should use the server name in the fist window. Use the username administrator and the password you created for the console as the password. If you can't connect to your server using the server name, you can try using the server IP address.
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 3:37 PM
  • If you are using WHS as a headless device, the only option you have to manage the system is through a Remote connection from another system.  I'm not sure exactly why the four systems I have in my home network connect differetly, but I have one that when you open the Remote Connection it pops up a box with "Administrator" in the Username and all I have to do is type my password and I'm in.  The other three all pop up a box with the WHS IP address (I have it configured through my router to always have the same IP) and Administrator in the Username - like this: "192.xxx.x.xxx/Administrator", I then have to remove the IP address before the system will accept my password.  Not sure what I may have done to cause this, but it doesn't seem worth the effort to change it.

I would suggest you purchase a copy of "Microsoft Windows Home Server Unleashed" - you can find it on Amazon and read it as you set up your WHS, it has helped me a tremendous amount for issues just like the remote connection issue.  It will also help you set up your WHS as a Web Site to include modifying the login to bring you to the WHS desktop rather than just to the WHS Console - that way you can manage other software you might have on the server.  The book is about 3" thick so if nothing else it will make a great door stop!  Seriously, it explains in detail lots of stuff that isn't discussed in any of the installation stuff that I got with WHS.  I now manage my WHS from Sarajavo, Bosnia-Herzegovina, seems to work great!

Good luck....

LJ

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 5:31 PM

All replies

• First, remote Desktop isn't a supported access method. Microsoft intends that all normal server admin should be done through the Windows Home Server console. There are tools available on the desktop that can significantly damage server functionality, possibly causing data loss or requiring reinstallation of Windows Home Server; some of those tools are things that you would think would be perfectly harmless.

That said, when you try to connect to your server, you should use the server name in the fist window. Use the username administrator and the password you created for the console as the password. If you can't connect to your server using the server name, you can try using the server IP address.
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 3:37 PM
  • Ken, I question your statement that remote desktop is not a supported access method. There are times (like installation of PP1) that have to be done via RDP. The instructions to use RDP are on MS's download page for PP1.

I agree that RDP is not intended to be the primary access method and that most normal WHS maintenance can be handled through the console.
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 4:31 PM
  • It is not really necessary to use RDP to install PP1. It can be installed using the console using either the Update Now button or automatic updates. The limitation here is that if you want to install PP1 before it is available through the normal update method (via windows update) then you would need to use RDP.

Just nit picking.

-Mike

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 5:24 PM
  • If you are using WHS as a headless device, the only option you have to manage the system is through a Remote connection from another system.  I'm not sure exactly why the four systems I have in my home network connect differetly, but I have one that when you open the Remote Connection it pops up a box with "Administrator" in the Username and all I have to do is type my password and I'm in.  The other three all pop up a box with the WHS IP address (I have it configured through my router to always have the same IP) and Administrator in the Username - like this: "192.xxx.x.xxx/Administrator", I then have to remove the IP address before the system will accept my password.  Not sure what I may have done to cause this, but it doesn't seem worth the effort to change it.

I would suggest you purchase a copy of "Microsoft Windows Home Server Unleashed" - you can find it on Amazon and read it as you set up your WHS, it has helped me a tremendous amount for issues just like the remote connection issue.  It will also help you set up your WHS as a Web Site to include modifying the login to bring you to the WHS desktop rather than just to the WHS Console - that way you can manage other software you might have on the server.  The book is about 3" thick so if nothing else it will make a great door stop!  Seriously, it explains in detail lots of stuff that isn't discussed in any of the installation stuff that I got with WHS.  I now manage my WHS from Sarajavo, Bosnia-Herzegovina, seems to work great!

Good luck....

LJ

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 5:31 PM