repair shop did illegal upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• I had a repair shop replace my hard drive. I gave them all my original discs. Now they installed XP pro and all I had was XP home. Now I can not get updates etc. They have since closed down.

What can I do other than buying whole new operating system?

Monday, February 5, 2007 9:09 PM

Answers

• Jrbing,

Sounds OK to me.  Good Luck!

Tuesday, February 6, 2007 4:22 AM

All replies

• Jrbing,

Backup and offload your data and use the original discs to reinstall XP Home.

Monday, February 5, 2007 9:35 PM
  • I have an external hard drive with push button back up software. Will doing this re-install mess up my files or will this be a "no big deal" incedent?

I have never actually had to use my back-up for a restore... I just don't want this to turn into a nightmare if my pc crashes in two days. I run a small business off this pc.

Monday, February 5, 2007 9:41 PM
  • Jrbing,

Typically the Recovery procedure supplied by major manufacturers uses an imaging technique to rapidly replace the contents of the user partitions on the computer with the exact contents of the computer as it appeared when you took it out of the box brand new.

ALL data, programs, settings, email, etc etc is destoyed in the process.

Your exact make and model of computer may be different, but the above is how most work.

If you are running a business from your computer, the wisest course of action would be to ask for assistance from a computer professional who can see what your backup program is actually backing up.  If it is simply taking images of the computer's hard disk, running the backup after cleanly installing XP Home will just put the nonegnuine XP Pro right back on the computer.  If it is doing a traditional file-by-file backup, you will still have to reinstall all of your programs after you cleanly install XP Home.

Monday, February 5, 2007 9:50 PM
  • i like to repair

Monday, February 5, 2007 10:00 PM
  • Okay, I just looked and it is doing a file by file backup of the files I have selected for business. I do not have it backing up sytem components etc... basicly it has 80GB of files, graphics, web pages, zip files...

That being said, I assume it would be safe to run my backup and then reload. This is my second computer on the network and MOST of the important software programs are on the main pc with its own backup system. I know I would have to reload adobe etc. I was more worried about my file types being corrupted or something odd like that.

Does that make sense?

EDIT:

I am using BounceBack Express for my file back-ups and it is making fully copies.. I assume.. I hooked my laptop to it and was able to pull folders over to the laptop.

Monday, February 5, 2007 10:08 PM
  • Jrbing,

Sounds OK to me.  Good Luck!

Tuesday, February 6, 2007 4:22 AM