Sync Framework Roadmap RRS feed

• Question

• We are currently reviewing Sync Framework as a technology choice for our project.

However, I'm concerned that the Sync Framework is not future proof.

After doing research in all the publicly available information, I find that the only currently available fully released version of the Microsoft Sync framework is 2.1 (and an additional Service Pack 1).

Beyond that, there is a CTP version of Microsoft Sync Framework version 4 available.

Also there are announcements from the Microsoft Sync Team, on their blog, which indicate that they are delaying the release of Microsoft Sync Service version 4 and are deeply emerged in the development of SQL Azure Data Sync.

The SQL Azure Data Sync product is currently in a preview state with no release date announced as of yet.

These statuses concern me, as there is currently just one officially released version of the Microsoft Sync Framework (2.1), which is based on the .NET Framework version 2. Although compatible with the .NET Framework 4, the  Framework 2.0 has its own limitations on performance, security and being future proof (for instance, what if our application is running .NET 4.5 or future versions?).

Also, the Sync Framework 2.1 will go out of mainstream support on January 14, 2014.

Will we be forced to move to SQL Azure Data Sync as an extension or next version of the Sync framework? This could bring mayor ramifications to our applications, and the costs to keep running it.

In summary; I am concerned that the roadmap for the standalone Sync Framework is not future proof. 

Could you please provide me with some insight in the roadmap of the Sync Framework?

Are you actively developing the Sync Framework or is the focus only on SQL Azure Data Sync?

Thanks for your answer!!

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 12:23 PM

All replies

• Sync Framework 4 has long been released as the open-source Sync Framework Toolkit instead (check the Announcements section here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/synclab/threads)

afaik (and I may be wrong), the Sync Fx and Data Sync team are separate (although the Data Sync uses Sync Fx internally)

also, basing on the discussion here, http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ssdsgetstarted/thread/fbf91c16-23e7-4287-8789-08fb42e4f21f, it looks to be that there is an ongoing post v2.1 development on-going (specifically mentions handling schema changes).

here's another post earlier this year:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/eu/syncdevdiscussions/thread/9c67e26f-c12c-4226-bb95-0b17684ffd14

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 12:42 PM
  • Thanks for your reply JuneT,

However, this does not ease my concerns about the Sync framework being future proof.

If anything, I'm even more concerned because:

• A Microsoft Employee states that "future development will be halted for that technology"
    • The only evidence that anything is being developed is the hot fix that was released, which is just default behavior for mainstream Microsoft product support 

I hope that anyone from Microsoft can answer my questions and ease my concerns, otherwise, we will have to look at alternative technologies for our project.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 2:10 PM
  • We were considering using the Framework for a project, too, this month.  But, I have the same concerns as Barry.

Furthermore, last week many MSDN articles I had bookmarked were pulled regarding the Occasionally Connected Databases (local database caching - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb384436.aspx).

Is this lights out?

If so, what is available to sync SQL Compact 4 to Azure?

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 11:09 AM
  • Hi BrillDav, I found this on the SQL Server compact Edition 4 on MSDN: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg592946.aspx

However, I did notice they cleansing of MSDN, MSFT is really trying to 'hide' information or something, or am I wrong?

Also, some folks from MSFT just told us that there will be a minor update off the sync framework coming.

However, they will not give us a release date, nor will they confirm what's changing in the release (if its a service pack or something else).

If MSFT cannot or will not confirm that they are going to release two or more full releases (so at least one where the main support expires on or beyond 2016), we cannot move on with the MS Sync Framework.

We are currently looking at alternatives (also non MSFT) for our project.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:14 PM
  • BrillDav,
    you can make Sync Fx work with SQL CE 4 (although as the docs say, it's unsupported), see: Sync Framework and SQL Compact 4 (Yes, You Can!)

Barry,

afaik, there's a minor release coming that will have the much the requested functionality to modify scope definitions to cater to schema changes...

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:21 AM