activation already in use message RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a Dell XPS 410 system about 6 months ago it came with a 160GB hard drive as I use it for video editing it was not enough storage. Last week I bought 2 500GB hard drives and installed them in a raid 0 configuration. I have removed the original hard drive and reinstalled windows vista on the new hard drives. Today windows Vista attemted to activate itself and I got the message that the product key is already in use. I do not have it installed on any other machines but it is still on the old hard drive but the old hard drive is not installed in any machine and, because it is a dell reinstallation disc it wont work on another machine except a dell xps410 it is just sitting in a drawer in my desk. I planned on installing it in an external encloser and using it for back up storage. is there any way to switch the product key to apply to my new hard drives or am I forced to buy another product key?
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 8:00 AM

Answers

• What you need to do is to reactivate your Windows Vista installation using the telephone activation method:

You can get started with phone activation by typing "slui.exe 4"
    (w/o the quotes) in the Start Search box in the Start Menu and pressing
    Enter.
    The phone activation process takes about 6 minutes.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 2:11 PM