none
Microsoft Visual Studio is busy. If you get this problem regularly contact Microsoft

Question

• Okay, I've done due dilligence:

Baloon says: "Microsoft Visual Studio is busy. If you get this problem regularly contact Microsoft".

VS 2010, Windows 7 x64, C++, while disabling a breakpoint it took 15 minutes. Time varies from 1 sec to 30 seconds usually and more rarely this long. "devenv.exe" size is 412Meg computer has 16Gig ram.

Friday, July 30, 2010 10:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Bob,

There are some tools we can use to help diagnose the cause of this.  Are you interested in pursuing this, or did you just want to make the issue known here?  (On another thread, I also recommended you can use the Connect site to report issues like this:
    Microsoft Connect: https://connect.microsoft.com/intro/?wa=wsignin1.0)

To diagnose this, we can try gathering some diagnostics that may help identify the bottleneck.  Is your project distributed at all over a network; any references, source files, target folders, etc. on network shares? 
    Are you familiar with the Process Monitor tool? Process Monitor: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx.  With this, you can watch all file and registry accesses in hopes of identifying what, if any, such actions may be related to the delay.
    Also, you can use the Task Manager (or Process Explorer) to launch the debugger against devenv.exe itself.  In this way, you can get an idea of what threads are hanging the process.

When it hangs like this, is it a "busy hang" where the CPU is active, or is it an "idle hang" where the CPU is not active, and the process is likely waiting for some external event or other system object to be signaled?

Developer Support Engineer
    Friday, August 6, 2010 1:28 AM
  • Mostly, I just wanted to let you know. I probably spend 70% of my time writing code, the rest testing it. I avoid the locations where inserting/removing breakpoints takes a long time - usually in templated functions which have quite a few realizations. BTW, I have "Alert me" enabled, but I never receive email when anyone replies to my posts.
    Friday, September 10, 2010 12:55 AM
  • I have this annoying problem all the time when I'm closing solution, opening solution and it just hangs.  I'm running on i7-2600 3.4ghz, 8GB of ram, windows 7 enterprise 64bit.  I've installed VS2010 SP1, FP2.

When it hangs, it takes at least 5 minutes before I can click anything on it.  Just wonder anyone else have similar issues.  For me, it's not break points.  Most of the time, my resolution is hit the power button and restart.  I've sent good amount of money on my new system and yet, with that many upgraded hardware, the software is still "slow".  Just wonder if anyone else out there have similar "problem" and what's the best way to patch this. 

Monday, April 1, 2013 6:29 PM
  • Hi "Disgruntled newbie",

This is not a typical behavior with VS itself.  I'd suggest that it related to one of a few common things:

• Add-ins or extensions to VS that are not responding to a n event notification.  Try starting VS from the command prompt with /SafeMode switch to see if the problem persists without add-ins.
    • Is your solution (or any of the source) on a remote machine that may not be accessible?
    • Are you connected to a source control server that may not be responding?

Even a far inferior machine (slower processor, less RAM, etc.) should not normally have such slowdowns just with VS 2010, so something else is in play here.

If you want to open a support case with Microsoft CTS to help troubleshoot this, try starting at this website:

http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?RDPATH=%2foas%2fdefault.aspx%3fgprid%3d1117

Monday, April 1, 2013 6:39 PM
  • Okay, I've "Process Monitor" running with the filter set to PID of devenv.exe. I have a breakpoint on the declaration:

std::stringstream	_implicitBranchName;

Every time I run my app this breakpoint is hit, and every time devenv hangs up for 30-40 seconds. If I mouse click on anything in devenv I get the "...is busy waiting for an internal operation..." balloon.

Now, during this waiting time the CPU is running, and Process Monitor, about every second, spits out "Process Profiling", 41 of them, interspersed with "Thread Create" and "Thread Exit", 21 of these.

I've noticed most statements that call std library stuff will have this problem when a breakpoint on them is set.

Any suggestions how to get rid of the hangup?

Friday, April 5, 2013 8:01 PM
  • PS I'm running VS2012 update 2.
    Friday, April 5, 2013 8:02 PM
  • For all others  , we debugged it in Bob's case and found out that it was because of the large size of the pdb . There was an issue with how the expression evaluator is spending a lot of time working on the pdb. We have worked on this issue and a fix will be released in the future update 3 for Visual Studio 2012.
    Friday, April 12, 2013 8:37 PM
  • How about for VS 2010?
    Wednesday, May 15, 2013 10:27 AM
  • Except for important security fixes, the product group will not automatically back-port every fix to previous versions; there are too many risks and costs for back-ports to do them without a strong business case to justify them.

If you are experiencing similar symptoms with VS 2010, it doesn't necessarily mean you are facing the same issue.  If you would like to open a case to investigate your issue, which could potentially (no promises) lead to a hotfix request, please follow the link I posted in my message of April 1 on this thread.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 1:35 PM
  • I had same error as it shows "VS is busy.,  performing an internal process"

In my case, the problem was that when the "local" windows was open, when the code hit a breakpoint, it halts for a while.

I closed the "Local" variable window and set focus of "Watch 1" and my problem is solved. In my case, I believe loading and showing the local variables stops the VS.

Thanks,

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:52 PM
  • I noticed that a lot of very old bugs from previous VS versions regularly appear on new versions. I'm on VS2013. Having this bug right now.

During the freeze, I see my i7 cpu usage at 13% by VS, my mem at 366 MB, and no problem about I/O write/read.

Omg. I'll close it and restart.

• Proposed as answer by Raja Rupinder Thursday, June 11, 2015 5:57 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Raja Rupinder Thursday, June 11, 2015 5:57 AM
    • Proposed as answer by GinoDivx Thursday, January 4, 2018 10:31 PM
    Monday, November 25, 2013 2:02 PM
  • Hi, I just found the solution.
    run - cmd - issreset
    It works fine for me.
    Thursday, June 11, 2015 5:58 AM
  • As soon as you get the baloon, you should see a task bar icon. Right click on the task bar icon and select "Continue waiting" and you should be able to recover VS from hung state and use the editor. 
    Monday, November 7, 2016 8:38 PM
  • I had this annoying problem. Just delete the .vssscc file (created by TS source control)  It worked for me
    Thursday, September 6, 2018 8:37 PM