Product Key Update refuses to work!!!! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I am having horrendous problems with XP shutting down every time I close a web page. I have detected no viruses or spyware on the computer to cause this, despite numerous full system scans, so I believe it is an error within XP. I have tried to get updates (including the latest version of IE) to hopefully resolve this issue. However Microsoft has decided that my version of XP Pro is not legitimate. Given that I got the computer with the software preloaded, I don't see how this can be...

Having said that, I believe that I have inadvertantly given an incorrect Product Key via the tool Microsoft uses to verify the software. Once I realised this, I have tried to give the correct XP key but the Product Key update tool simply refuses to accept that key!

I have not loaded any pirate software to my computer ever, to my knowledge. I have had the tower in for services with computer technicians from time to time, but was not made aware of any changes that they might have made to the software.

So, is this Microsoft's way of trying to squeeze yet more money out of a long standing customer, or is it a case of the Product Key update tool refusing to work?

See diagnostic report below, for what it is worth. All gobbledygook to me!

Regards,

Mal.

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0066.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Validation Code: 3
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-YXRKT-8TG6W-2B7Q8
    Windows Product Key Hash: RVvFciZMdQfJLyDpZteolhaqicQ=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-0000356-23203
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.0.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {64A679D0-4FB4-4051-B58A-3579D996EFD1}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.7
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control:
    Active scripting:
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting:

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{64A679D0-4FB4-4051-B58A-3579D996EFD1}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0066.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.0.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-2B7Q8</PKey><PID>55274-640-0000356-23203</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-776561741-436374069-842925246</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Gateway                        </Manufacturer><Model>G6-350                         </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Intel Corp.</Manufacturer><Version>4R4CB0XA.15A.0010.P03.9809011626</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="1"/><Date>19980901******.******+***</Date></BIOS><HWID>8E9C3CAF0184005D</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>AUS Eastern Standard Time(GMT+10:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>39476F84C4B4004</Val><Hash>4iCnywwNW1w4s9ukTIwGMGxyGic=</Hash><Pid>54185-640-0000025-17905</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 6:31 AM

Answers

• Malcolm F,

Right now, your Gateway  computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 10), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

If you search the forum for the part of the VLK that is shown by the report, "YXRKT-8TG6W-2B7Q8", you will see that many, many other posters have reported their computers are using the same VLK.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

More bad news:  Your installation of MS Office XP Pro w/Front Page is Nongenuine (Office status:114 means nonenuine).  If this comes as a surprise to you, please return to the place of purchase and demand the Genuine software you paid for, or a refund.  In any case, please remove the nongenuine installation of Office from your computer as soon as possible.

Next, please look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticty (CoA).  If you have one, tell us about the CoA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?  In your case we would expect "Gateway."

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key printed on the CoA.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Luckily, the solution to your problem is simple.  Use the recovery solution supplied with the computer (often this will be one or more Recovery CDs/DVDs, or perhaps a hidden recovery partition accessed at startup using a special keystroke combination) by Gateway to replace the nongenuine volume installation of XP Pro with the genuine OEM installation of Windows.  The Certificate of Authenticity affixed to the computer will tell you which edition of XP came with the computer.  It's likely your computer did not come from Gateway with XP Pro, but probably XP Home or Media Center.  If it did come with XP Pro, you can use the Key Updater Utility to "genuine-ize" your installation of XP Pro.  If you do not have the originally supplied Recovery solution, please contact Gateway customer service or tech support to inquire about purchasing replacement Recovery CDs/DVDs.

Be sure to back up and offload your data before you do this because typically the recovery process destroys all data on the hard disk.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 1:39 PM
  • Malcolm F,

Your Gateway came from Gateway with a licensed operating system.  If you look on the CoA it will tell you which.  Put that OS back onto the computer using the Gateway supplied recovery solution and you will be Genuine again.

Direct your anger at the local shop(s) to which you took your computer as you say several times.  THEY are the ones who installed pirated software and caused your problems.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 2:39 PM

All replies

• Your MGA report reveals an installation of a Volume License (VL) version of Windows XP Professional installed with a blocked (non-genuine) product key.  Volume licensing is only made available to businesses or enterprises with a large PC installation base.  In order to solve your non-genuine problem, visit   http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ and click on Validate Windows.  When validation fails, follow the prompts which will illustrate your options, which will include how to acquire a WGA Kit.

P.S.  Your installed copy of Microsoft Office XP Professional with Frontpage is also non-genuine.  Please uninstall it and purchase a "genuine" version of Microsoft Office.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 1:29 PM
  • Malcolm F,

Right now, your Gateway  computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 10), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

If you search the forum for the part of the VLK that is shown by the report, "YXRKT-8TG6W-2B7Q8", you will see that many, many other posters have reported their computers are using the same VLK.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

More bad news:  Your installation of MS Office XP Pro w/Front Page is Nongenuine (Office status:114 means nonenuine).  If this comes as a surprise to you, please return to the place of purchase and demand the Genuine software you paid for, or a refund.  In any case, please remove the nongenuine installation of Office from your computer as soon as possible.

Next, please look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticty (CoA).  If you have one, tell us about the CoA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?  In your case we would expect "Gateway."

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key printed on the CoA.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Luckily, the solution to your problem is simple.  Use the recovery solution supplied with the computer (often this will be one or more Recovery CDs/DVDs, or perhaps a hidden recovery partition accessed at startup using a special keystroke combination) by Gateway to replace the nongenuine volume installation of XP Pro with the genuine OEM installation of Windows.  The Certificate of Authenticity affixed to the computer will tell you which edition of XP came with the computer.  It's likely your computer did not come from Gateway with XP Pro, but probably XP Home or Media Center.  If it did come with XP Pro, you can use the Key Updater Utility to "genuine-ize" your installation of XP Pro.  If you do not have the originally supplied Recovery solution, please contact Gateway customer service or tech support to inquire about purchasing replacement Recovery CDs/DVDs.

Be sure to back up and offload your data before you do this because typically the recovery process destroys all data on the hard disk.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 1:39 PM
  • Thank you Carey and Dan.

I have to say that I am mightily annoyed at my situation, given the information you have discussed. If it isn't bad enough that XP is not working, now I supposedly have non-genuine software on my computer, despite (I thought) purchasing from a reputable dealer. (Gateway no longer has outlets in Australia...so I'm screwed I reckon.)

Not that it would matter to Microsoft that I have been deceived. No, their failure to write software that cannot be pirated now comes back to bite me. Just great!!!

And so now Billy boy and his cronies at Microsoft (who so obviuosly need the cash) want to charge me another $245 for "validation". Wow...no wonder there are laws against monopolies. Yeah...right!!!

Thanks anyway guys.

Mal.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 2:24 PM
  • Malcolm F,

Your Gateway came from Gateway with a licensed operating system.  If you look on the CoA it will tell you which.  Put that OS back onto the computer using the Gateway supplied recovery solution and you will be Genuine again.

Direct your anger at the local shop(s) to which you took your computer as you say several times.  THEY are the ones who installed pirated software and caused your problems.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 2:39 PM