IE8 install deleted my favorites. I need to get my old favorites, can you help me?

Question

• When i installed IE8, it has simply removed my IE7 favorites and put in something new. 
    I had saved many important site in my favorites before, I really need to get them...Can you help me get that back.
    I did take a backup with onecare, but not neccesarily very recent. Is there a way to get the latest favorites 
    or if I have to go to my backup, how do I just get the favorites and not other files....this is an issue with IE only.

Appreciate your help!

thanks!
    Friday, April 10, 2009 4:34 PM

Answers

• IE8 should *not* have removed your favorites when installed.
    Your favorites should be located in your User folder.

In XP, Open Windows Explorer and go to c:\Documents and Settings\%user%\Favorites
    In Vista, it is C:\Users\%user%\Favorites

%user% is your windows user login name.

How are you accessing your Favorites in IE that leads you to believe that they are gone?

If your favorites have been lost, you can restore them from your OneCare backup.

To select specific files to restore or to select a specific backup to restore from:

Open OneCare.

In the main OneCare window, in the Backup and Restore area, click Restore files.

Click Restore files from a local backup.

Click Custom Restore.

To restore files from the most recent backup of your computer, click Restore files from the current backup on this computer.

Restore specific types of files.

Click Restore files by file type.

Next to the types of files that you want to restore, select the check boxes, and then Restoclick Next.

Next to the files that you want to restore, select the check boxes, and then click Next.

Decide whether you want to restore files that have the same name as files that are already stored on your computer, click the appropriate option, and then click Next.

–or–

Select the files that you want to restore.

1. Click Search for files to restore.
    2. In the search box, type all or part of the name of the file that you want to restore, and then click Next.
    3. Next to the files that you want to restore, select the check boxes, and then click Next.
    4. Decide whether you want to restore files that have the same name as files that are already stored on your computer, click the appropriate option, and then click Next.

Click Restore files.

Click Finish.

I think you may want to check into IE help and support resources first:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/ie/iefaq.mspx (the page says IE7 support, but it is also for IE8)

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator

Friday, April 10, 2009 4:52 PM

All replies

• IE8 should *not* have removed your favorites when installed.
    Your favorites should be located in your User folder.

In XP, Open Windows Explorer and go to c:\Documents and Settings\%user%\Favorites
    In Vista, it is C:\Users\%user%\Favorites

%user% is your windows user login name.

How are you accessing your Favorites in IE that leads you to believe that they are gone?

If your favorites have been lost, you can restore them from your OneCare backup.

To select specific files to restore or to select a specific backup to restore from:

Open OneCare.

In the main OneCare window, in the Backup and Restore area, click Restore files.

Click Restore files from a local backup.

Click Custom Restore.

To restore files from the most recent backup of your computer, click Restore files from the current backup on this computer.

Restore specific types of files.

Click Restore files by file type.

Next to the types of files that you want to restore, select the check boxes, and then Restoclick Next.

Next to the files that you want to restore, select the check boxes, and then click Next.

Decide whether you want to restore files that have the same name as files that are already stored on your computer, click the appropriate option, and then click Next.

–or–

Select the files that you want to restore.

1. Click Search for files to restore.
    2. In the search box, type all or part of the name of the file that you want to restore, and then click Next.
    3. Next to the files that you want to restore, select the check boxes, and then click Next.
    4. Decide whether you want to restore files that have the same name as files that are already stored on your computer, click the appropriate option, and then click Next.

Click Restore files.

Click Finish.

I think you may want to check into IE help and support resources first:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/ie/iefaq.mspx (the page says IE7 support, but it is also for IE8)

-steve

Friday, April 10, 2009 4:52 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Thanks for your answer..I have Vista Home Premium version. I will use onecare backup to search and restore files.

I installed IE8, just couple of days ago...If I looked at favorites thru IE, i just a new set of favorites, all MSN relates sites. I looked at folder "In Vista, it is C:\Users\%user%\Favorites" as specified in your email, and I see all favorites created on or after 4/6/2009. I know I had many favorites created before and I can't find them.

Is there a way, is there a log that I can use to find out when exactly my favorites were removed?

thanks
    Ravi
    Friday, April 10, 2009 5:04 PM
  • I'm not aware of any log that you could use, nor can I understand how the Favorites disappeared. :-(
    Since you have the OneCare backup, you should be able to restore them, though. Have you checked to see if they ended up in the Recycle Bin, per chance?
    -steve
    Friday, April 10, 2009 5:37 PM
  • May be it is not IE8. My computer was really slow and I was doing many things to clean it and speed it up, including installing IE8.
    It is much much faster now. I might have done something that deleted my favorites. I cleaned out restore bin, so I dont have them.
    that's okay. I will restore from my backup. Thanks for your help!

Ravi
    Friday, April 10, 2009 5:50 PM
  • Good luck. :-) And clean carefully in the future. <g>
    -steve
    • Proposed as answer by 1tobarger1 Tuesday, April 28, 2009 4:33 AM
    Friday, April 10, 2009 7:01 PM
  • Maybe it just seems that you have lost your favorites.

Try this.

1) Press the Alt key
    2) Select "View"
    3) Select "Explorer Bars"
    4) Select "Favorites"

OR

Ctrl+Shift+I
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 4:44 AM
  • 1tobarger1

All tha I have in there are the items that used to be in the "Links" tool bar subfolder of the old Favorites folder....
    I am super happy that I keep good backups now.

I have lost all of my Favorites except what I had in the Links folder in IE7.
    I am pretty baffled by such a basic mess up.
    And more than a little frustrated because I have the potential of a few hundred employees going through the same problem and I already know that most of them do not keep consistent backups.
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 10:54 AM
  • I have no idea why your favorites have disappeared, as I've updated many systems and the favorites are retained in the process.

I recommend that you pursue this with IE support resources:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/ph/807#tab0

-steve
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 1:22 PM
  • I had the same thing happen. All of my favorites from IE7 were missing after doing a standard update to IE8.

Almost makes me want to switch to a Mac.

I found the problem.

Since I am using a dual boot system I had my favorites in IE7 under Vista (C:) redirected to my favorites folder under XP (D:) which allowed me to have the same favorites under both OS. When IE8 installed it redirected my favorites back to the default location.

Now I just have to figure out how to redirect IE8 back to the proper location and get Microsoft to keep thier fingers out of my preferred setup.

That, or just buy a Mac like everyone else seems to be doing.
    • Edited by tkeen Wednesday, May 06, 2009 8:44 PM
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 8:20 PM
  • My Favorites were all in standard location.

For Windows Vista there is an easy solution.
    Just Right click on the Favorites folder and choose Restore Pevious Versions.
    ... doesn't answer why, but it should fix the problem.
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 2:39 PM
  • mine did the same thing  i just installed ie8 the other day and just noticed  alot of my favorites were missing    it looks like an older setup i had rather than the one when the switch was made.   :( 
    Monday, May 11, 2009 8:09 PM
  • I just upgraded to IE8 also.

IE8 also deleted ALL my favorites !!!

This is starting to look like a serious bug in the installed.

THANKS for the tip about Vista and Restore Previous.  I was able to easily restore my favorites this way.

Robert
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 1:48 AM
  • IE also installed on my computer and my favorites are gone as is the google toolbar.  I honestly dont even remember asking for IE 8 to be installed....maybe windows update "prompted? me but nothing more for sure.  ____ me off.  Where are those favorites?

Tim Webber
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 4:57 PM
  • So now I see google toolbar miight be there.  Under view toolbars its unchecked.  So when i click to "check" it -> windows prompts me if I would like to delete it.  wow, nice

Tim Webber
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 4:59 PM