Can you Resore the Client Computer Backups directory RRS feed

• Question

• I had a Motherboard die on my WHS2011 box.   I have it replaced now and have WHS2011 reinstalled and all the shares recreated and restored.  

My Question is:  Is there anyway that I can restore the Client backups.   I have the original directory and files from the first WHS2011 server ("Client Computer Backups").  I have tried copying it onto the Client Computer Backups directory on the new server but when I look in the Dashboard under Computers and Backup, I do not see any of the backups.

Paul

Friday, August 12, 2011 5:29 PM

Answers

• Make sure to restart your server.
    Could it be be the old client backup will appear under "Archived computer backups" (you need to expeand the view to see them)?

- Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    • Marked as answer by Paul Full Monday, August 15, 2011 7:07 PM
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 6:36 PM

All replies

• Yes, you can restore the backup database. You won't see the old computer backups unless you re-join your clients to your server, however. You should still be able to access them if you use the client recovery tool, however.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, August 12, 2011 5:42 PM
  • That's great news. 

But I guess I need more information of how to get the old backups restored.   I have copied all the files from "Client Computer Backups" directory of the old server into the "Client Computer Backups" on the new server.  I have rejoined the client computers to the new server.  When I go into the dashboard and click on Computers and Backups, I see all the clients.  But when I double click on a client, I do not see any of the backups.

All I have done so far is copy the Client Computer Backups files from the old server to the new.  Do I need to do anything to get the new server to recognize them?

Thanks for your help

Paul

Friday, August 12, 2011 8:43 PM
  • Make sure to restart your server.
    Could it be be the old client backup will appear under "Archived computer backups" (you need to expeand the view to see them)?

- Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    • Marked as answer by Paul Full Monday, August 15, 2011 7:07 PM
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 6:36 PM
  • ok The old backups are there.   It is not obvious that you have to expand the Archived backups and it is not obvious how to expand it.  You have to Double click on the "Archived computer backups" heading to get it to expand.

Thanks for your help

Paul

Monday, August 15, 2011 7:07 PM