Other Files Includes i386 Files and Among Others RRS feed

• Question

• After the first backup was done I found that when Other Files is selected in the backup files. The majority of 6684 files backed up were *C:\i386 files*. Not exactly pleased with that one! This is on the client pc that really should have only a few files to backup!

Then there’s the Host pc, has a recovery partition and a few files are also i386, I really don’t think I need a few files backed up from that partition either. The second internal hard drive I cannot exclude and files backed up from that drive are mp3 Program files and Windows\winsxs\x86 files etc.

I was under the impression that OneCare was not backing up these types of files or Application files. Guess I got that one wrong.

Since I cannot exclude any of these files in the first place really don’t understand what good it is including *Other Files* in ones selection choice. And a large portion of CD/DVD or external hard drive is going to get ate up with these not necessary files.

Saturday, August 4, 2007 7:52 AM

Answers

• Can you file a bug on this with details, Knightsky? Thanks.

-steve

Sunday, August 5, 2007 1:39 AM

All replies

• Can you file a bug on this with details, Knightsky? Thanks.

-steve

Sunday, August 5, 2007 1:39 AM
  • Will do, Steve, and thanks.

Sunday, August 5, 2007 4:58 AM
  • Though I agree the C:\i386 folder should probably be excluded as a 'system folder' by default when it exists, it should also be possible to exclude it yourself from within the Backup Configuration dialog screen. In my case, I chose to exclude all but a portion of my own Users profile folder on Vista, which trimmed the size of the 'Other' category from 250MB to about 30MB.

Though the new system is different, I've only seen a potential issue with personal files stored within the Program Files folder structure to this point and I even question whether that problem is real. I think the biggest problem at the moment is confusion about the change, which will cause issues when released, though I also believe the new method will work better in the long run, possibly with some minor 'tuning' before release.

The first thing I needed to do was stop thinking that it still worked like before, because it doesn't, and open my mind to what I was seeing now. Once I did that, the only issue I found myself was the inability to backup executable files, which I can understand the general reason for excluding.

OneCareBear

Sunday, August 5, 2007 5:19 AM
  •  

Interesting reply OneCare Bear,

But I prefer to go straight to the point. I am theorizing here, since *Windows System Folder* are exclude from backup. Maybe the reason OneCare backed up C:\i386 files, OneCare seen these files fitting the category *Other Files*, hence the majority of 6684 files backed up are these files, and this is only the client pc. This same theory also applies to why in the recovery partition the same files were back up on the host computer.

Now the host pc has two internal hard drives, drive C: (Win XP) has two partitions; the smallest is a recovery partition by the OEM. Drive D: is one partition with Vista installed; I am going to add here there are more and more users dual booting and not necessarily with Windows only.

One computer now of days can have multiple operating systems installed, each one acting independently in their own partition or drive, (I know if something happens it could bring down the whole)and with their own Security Programs etc. This should still be taken in consideration in OneCare’s configuring backup to exclude Drive D: etc, it is not necessary to spend the time or space to duplicate backups in one Program, especially if one is getting bits and pieces from the other drive(s) or partitions.

Ok, back to the point, my understanding is specific files types in the Program files folder would be included in the backup. On Drive D: installed there are several programs that have mp3 files, these files belong to the Program itself. In theory they were backed up because I had mp3 files selected, but I feel this was not necessary, waste of time and space, since I have the original installation cd, if I needed to restore these files. Applying my earlier theory to *Other Files* maybe this is the same reason OneCare sees on Drive D: Windows\winsxs\x86 files and backs them up.

Knightsky

Sunday, August 5, 2007 11:29 PM
  • Which OS on which drive is operating with OneCare when you get these backup results?

I'm guessing that what's happened here is that the backup is treating the other OS drive as 'data' rather than Windows System Folders, since this really isn't true for the other OS.

Since the target market for OneCare is the basic home user who rarely even has a second internal hard drive, I doubt this scenario is supported. It may not be difficult to detect, but it's also not difficult for you to correct by simply excluding the other OS drives or specific folders yourself. This is the cost of doing things outside the normal operations of a single user OS.

OneCareBear

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 3:01 PM
  • Oh, really

I am fully aware of the *narrow,* target market for OneCare and what appears to be excluding the hole market in computer users. The more *advance* user at some point in time was a basic user, who may have evolve to maybe a more advance level. True, may be not every basic user, but there several degrees of *more advance* user and I really don’t understand why they should be exclude from the target market. I personally like OneCare, and have watched it *grow.*

To clarify, the laptop is entry-level, for a basic user, (1 internal hard drive, OEM installed software) computer, and from my experience would be the likely choice for the target market. In my opinion, if I am going to test a program that appears to be aim at a basic user, then 1 computer must be in that area.

It is the laptop (single user OS), I am referring to the folder C:\i386 is the majority of the 6684 files that were back up. What I am pointing out here is that if the basic user chooses to view the files that were in their first back up. That maybe that user would wonder why and what are these files. In my experience a basic user does notice first the size of the backup or how many disks they need, and questions the size of the backup when they feel something is wrong there. Now the basic user should not have to figure out what to do, OneCare should not backup this files in the C:\i386 folder in the first place.

True, the desktop is a more advance computer system, but sometimes this user, maybe there are others, that would like some simplicity, where their time can be used elsewhere. It’s not that I am unfamiliar with what you’re saying, since I deal with fine tuning every day.  

Knightsky

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 4:57 PM
  • I think the discussion started out kind of basic and took a turn somewhere. :-)

Knightsky, thanks for filing the bug after originally reporting it here. I agree that the \i386 folder should never be backed up, though the developers may have a good reason to have backed up files from this folder.

-steve

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 5:17 PM
  • Steve,

Thank you for *seeing* my *train of thought* and the basic reasoning behind what I had found fault with.  Concerning the desktop (hub) was more of a suggestion and I probably should not have combined both in one post, hence I created confusion.

Thanks again,

Knightsky

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 6:36 PM