How do I buy the WHS OS without hardware? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone & anyone that will read this.

I've used the WHS trial on my own hardware and it worked great.
    Unfortunately I placed important data on it which I can no longer retrieve.

I would like to continue using WHS, but don't want to buy new hardware and can't even buy most of the nice Home Servers I see (eg: HP EX475 not available in Australia).

Where do I purchase the operating system from and how much is it?

If it's not available without hardware, then is there a legitimate way of buying it packaged with a single Hard Drive, RAM or something similar that I would use?
    I've already got 3 spare PCs (includes the now dead WHS box) a NAS box and about 8TB of storage, so I don't need another whirring and spinning WHS box.

Apologies in advance if this has already been asked - I've done numerous searches and browsed through the forums but just couldn't find this question or answer anywhere.

Thanks for any help.
    Graham.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 1:53 AM

Answers

I would like to continue using WHS, but don't want to buy new hardware and can't even buy most of the nice Home Servers I see (eg: HP EX475 not available in Australia).

You can purchase an OEM license from online retailers such as newegg.com.

If it's not available without hardware, then is there a legitimate way of buying it packaged with a single Hard Drive, RAM or something similar that I would use?
    I've already got 3 spare PCs (includes the now dead WHS box) a NAS box and about 8TB of storage, so I don't need another whirring and spinning WHS box.

Apologies in advance if this has already been asked - I've done numerous searches and browsed through the forums but just couldn't find this question or answer anywhere.

Thanks for any help.
    Graham.

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Graham A Wednesday, May 13, 2009 4:28 AM
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:03 AM

All replies

You can purchase an OEM license from online retailers such as newegg.com.

Thanks for any help.
    Graham.

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Graham A Wednesday, May 13, 2009 4:28 AM
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:03 AM
  • Thankyou for that info - exactly what I need to know.
    I'm a little surprised by the price, but happy that I finally have the option.
    Now to find if it's available locally or just in the U.S.

Cheers!
    Graham.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 4:29 AM
    Now to find if it's available locally or just in the U.S.
    A Google search returned this random result on the second page, and I guarantee there are many others. So yes, you can find e-tailers in your country... :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:03 PM