'Sample.cab' corrupt when trying to upgrade Home Connector Software RRS feed

• Question

• I have power pack 1 installed and have been attempting to upgrade the home connector software on two machines on my network. One is an XP MCE machine and the other Vista Premium machine.

On both machines I get a strange error telling me that:

"the cabinet file 'sample.cab' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package".

I have access to my WHS machine and I have not changed any of the directories. That is, the home connector software resides in '\\server\software\home connector software' as it always has been. I even tried copying this directory to my local machine and running it from there but I get the same error. I'd attach a screenshot but have no idea how to do it, if it was possible at all.

Anyone have any ideas on this one? I'd really like to avoid reinstalling WHS if at all possible.
    Monday, December 8, 2008 10:36 AM

Answers

• Are the Vista machines 32 Bit or 64 bit?
    And maybe, you have really to go that far, to uninstall/reinstall the Power Pack, since the November update did not replace all files in the WHS Connector setup folder.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by BigRizz Sunday, December 14, 2008 8:29 AM
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 3:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    sample.cab is not a file, which I see in the folder \\server\software\home server connector software (was that a typo letting server away from the path or is your path as you wrote in above posting?).
    It could be that it is packed in the msi file or that it belongs to an OEM component. If the later - what for a server do you have - self built or OEM?
    If it is an OEM machine, you could try to rename the OEM subfolder below home server connector software before trying to install.

Maybe also, your systems have been hit by malware, which left some remains?

Olaf
    Monday, December 8, 2008 10:53 AM
  • No, it's not a typo. The description is exactly as I have written it. The machine is self-built - not OEM.

Hmm, not sure about the malware. Always possible, I guess.

I'm wondering if in fact the file is corrupt and maybe I need to re-install the damn thing. I've been trying to find just the connector software to download but it doesn't look like it's available. Any ideas if there is some way I can download just the files in the home connector software directory?

Thanks for your reply.

EDIT: Sorry, I just understood your question. Yes, you are right. It's a typo. The directory is in fact \\server\software\home server connector software, as you quite rightly point out.

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 8:41 AM
  • Sorry, not sure my last edit got through. Yes, you are right. It is a typo. I just understood your question. It is in fact \\server\software\home server connector software, as you point out.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 8:45 AM
  • BigRizz said:

I'm wondering if in fact the file is corrupt and maybe I need to re-install the damn thing. I've been trying to find just the connector software to download but it doesn't look like it's available. Any ideas if there is some way I can download just the files in the home connector software directory?

Connector software is not available as a separate download. As a workaround you can test to uninstall Power Pack 1 via Control Panel on the server, reboot, reinstall Power Pack 1 and try again.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 11:39 AM
  • I uninstalled and re-installed the November update for which there was a new connector software and tried installing it on my XP machine. Miraculously, it installed ok. I then tried my two other Vista machines and neither worked, giving me the same error as before. I tried uninstalling and re-installing the Nov update again but no luck.

I'm going to try and copy the c:\program files\Windows Home Server\upgrade directory from my XP machines to my Vista machines and try running the install locally to see if that works.

I'm stuck on this one.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 11:23 AM
  • Are the Vista machines 32 Bit or 64 bit?
    And maybe, you have really to go that far, to uninstall/reinstall the Power Pack, since the November update did not replace all files in the WHS Connector setup folder.

Olaf
    • Marked as answer by BigRizz Sunday, December 14, 2008 8:29 AM
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 3:28 PM
  • The Vista machines are 32-bit. Maybe you're right. I might try uninstalling power pack 1 and see what happens. A real pain.
    Friday, December 12, 2008 10:08 AM
  • I think, Microsoft does not supply the package as downloadable file, because too many users could try to use the wrong version for their current WHS.
    The current version should be also available on your server in C:\WHS - by executing ConnectorInstallAssistant.cmd from that folder after locally logging in your Connector Software share should be corrected.

Is the Windows Home Server in the trusted sites in Internet Explorer? (It's not necessary, but sometimes various security stuff is blocking execution from network otherwise.
    Did you try downloading the package from http://server:55000 and install it that way?
    Is there any 3rd party security suite active on the client?

But I'm still puzzled about the sample.cab. Did you install an Add-In, which could have brought this file?
    Olaf
    Friday, December 12, 2008 11:57 AM
  • BigRizz said:

The Vista machines are 32-bit. Maybe you're right. I might try uninstalling power pack 1 and see what happens. A real pain.

If you go that route, I would uninstall all of these updates in this order:

KB957825 (Reboot server)
    KB950193 (Reboot server)
    KB944289 (Reboot server)

This will uninstall every update since (and including) Power Pack 1 in the reverse order you installed them.  That should get you back to a pre-PP1 state.
    Friday, December 12, 2008 3:33 PM
  • Thanks guys. I uninstalled pp1, reinstalled it and sure enough, I managed to get the connector software working again. Unfortunately, I did this before reading karilya21's post so I only uninstalled the pp1 update. Hopefully I haven't stuffed up all the subsequent updates as a consequence.
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 8:28 AM
  • The version numbers in the WHS console should show you.
    Olaf
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 9:42 AM