Drive Bender and StableBit - Ready for Prime Time Yet??? RRS feed

• Question

• My RAID card is driving me nuts and as I'm debunking the error I was thinking about these two apps and was wondering if anyone has opinions on thier quality, stability, dependability, etc.  Are they ready for prime time yet???
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:40 AM

All replies

• Bottom Line Up Front:  I would not trust my data to either at this point.

I gave up testing a while back, but in my opinion, neither are ready for prime time.  I would consider both late beta quality.  Most current releases are mid February for both.  Since media streaming is not important to me, I am still running WHS v1.  Drive Extender works fine for me.  No need for RAID. Don't have to worry about the 2TB backup limit.  Server data backup is vastly superior.  Restores are (both client and server data) are much faster than WHS 2011.  Just my 2¢ worth, your mileage may vary.

For Drive Bender, this is the latest beta release along with release notes:

Release v1.2.4.5 notes:
      a.. Known issue: The drive format option has been disabled due to a last minute bug.
      b.. Update: Pool configuration and validation has been improved.
      c.. Update: The restore from drives feature has been improved.
      d.. Bug fix: Drive letter mount points will mount even if one or more drives is offline.
      e.. Update: A pool remains in read only mode until all drives are on-line and ready.
      f.. Bug fix: When adding a raw (unformatted) drive, a "drive unrecognized" error can be thrown even if the format option was selected.
      g.. Update: When a drive is removed from a pool, the file are no longer copied, but are now moved from the drive to the pool.
      h.. Bug fix: When removing a drive, an error can be thrown on completion.
      i.. Bug fix: If a drive goes offline, or is offline at start up, files could still written to the pool even though the pool is in a fault tolerant state.
      j.. Update: Improved fault tolerant detection and handling.
      k.. Bug fix: A number of WHS addin / Manager interface updating issues.
      l.. Bug fix: Lockup issue when Smooth Stream is enabled.
      m.. Update: Many improvements to the Smooth Stream feature.
      n.. Update: Enabling and disabling folder duplication has been improved.
      o.. Bug fix: File count statistics count sometimes report an incorrect duplicated file count.
      p.. Bug fix: It is possible that threads scheduled to wake at a specific time fail to do so.
      q.. Update: NFS is now natively supported.
      r.. Bug fix: A number of driver related issues have been resolved.
      s.. Update: Improved reparse point handling.
      t.. Update: Improved folder deleted functionality.
      u.. Update: Improved folder rename functionality.
      v.. Bug fix: Adding a mount to a new pool can result in the desired configuration no being completed.

For Stable Bit, here is the latest for the M4 Beta:

* Fix for keeping integrated mode enabled after updating.
    * [D] Fixed rename and overwrite issue. Was not allowing directory merging among other things.

http://stablebit.com/Content/Changes/DrivePool/changes.txt

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

My RAID card is driving me nuts and as I'm debunking the error I was thinking about these two apps and was wondering if anyone has opinions on thier quality, stability, dependability, etc. Are they ready for prime time yet???

BullDawg
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:28 AM
  • I agree with BullDawg, although I ran a trial server with WHS 2011 and tried both I just found them too clunky and so with no incentive to migrate to WHS 2011 I am still hapily running WHS v.1.

WHS 2011 is the 'Vista' of WHS; maybe with WHS 2012/2013 and storage spaces things may change but for now I'd go WHS v.1 or WHS 2011 with RAID, not for the faint hearted!

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:38 AM
  • Thanks greatly folks.  Your thoughtful answers were what I feared.  Just for once it would be nice to find a "simple solution" that works wonderfully but instead it seems that we are always having to make trade-offs.
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 11:28 AM
  • Well...

Drive Bender has worked and still works fine for me....

Sunday, February 26, 2012 8:24 PM
  • While partly agreeing with Bulldawg above, I would have to say I have been running stablebit now for around 5 months. I am duplicating around 5TB of data and have had very few issue's and zero data loss.

The early iterations of both stablebit and drive bender were unstandably a bit flaky but I have found stablebit to be quite robust since M3.

I have not tried drive bender recently as I preferred stablebit, but from Wim's comment above it has obviously improved as well.

Stablebit is still in beta but it appears from a post read earlier today is getting close to being released. If it of interest, this particular post can be found http://blog.covecube.com/2012/02/file-duplication-in-stablebit-drivepool-beta-m4/ .

At this point all of my valuable electronic data is also stored elsewhere for safety but I have not felt as though it was risk for quite some time.

As with most things in life everyones experiences with these programs will vary but from my perspective I am looking forward to the final release stablebit.  

Just my 2 cents worth.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home

Monday, February 27, 2012 3:07 AM
  • I've been using Stable bit now with 12 TB of data and duplication. Had one hiccup that was resolved in a prior build. M4 is rock solid and I highly recommend it, actually. If it was out right now, in the current state, I'd pay for it, if that helps you know how highly I think about it. Just my two cents as well.
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 9:54 PM
  • Well...

Agree. Drive bender has been rock solid for me. I tried Drivepool but after a BSOD and files lost, i decided to switch. The bottom line is if you are going down this path, go with the software with runs on the board.
    Wednesday, March 7, 2012 11:24 AM
  • Well...

Agree. Drive bender has been rock solid for me. I tried Drivepool but after a BSOD and files lost, i decided to switch. The bottom line is if you are going down this path, go with the software with runs on the board.
     i have been using Stablebit for the past year and not one hiccup or file lost. Drive bender has come a long way but after checking the forums there still seems there are a lot more small bugs compared to stablebit. :)
    Friday, March 9, 2012 9:08 PM
  • FYI  Stablebit has now been released as a paid for product. Congratulations Alex.

Looks like I get to spend a bit of money tonight. :)

http://stablebit.com/

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home

• Edited by frogz1 Monday, March 12, 2012 2:07 AM
    Monday, March 12, 2012 12:01 AM