Power Pack 1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys installed thr power pack 1 RTM, something I noticed after install is that in the consol server storage the system portion is now reporting 53GB. But if I remote into the server and check disk space it still shows 20GB system. Is this a bug or is something screwed up. Has anyone else noticed this?

Saturday, July 26, 2008 2:39 PM

All replies

• Hi!

Your system is working as expected, because PP1 changed the way of measuring storage size.

Quote from the PP1 Release Documentation:

A new and improved storage size algorithm has been implemented for listing Server Storage usage:

1.       Free space is now more accurately measured from the hard drives connected to your home server.

2.       Prior to Power Pack 1, the ‘System’ size was computed based on the size of the C: partition (20GB) and the size of D:\folders\.  With Power Pack 1, the’ System’ size is now calculated as total size minus the sum of Shared Folders, Duplicated folders, and Home Computer Backups.

3.       Once Power Pack 1 is installed, users may experience an increase in the ‘System’ size due to the new algorithm. The extra size accounts for volume shadow copies, the Recycle Bin, as well as any files which are stored on a home server outside of shared folders or application folders.

4.       To reclaim the space, try the following steps:

§  Empty Recycle Bin (if you used the home server as a desktop, the Recycle Bin may have some files in it).

§  Check this folder, D:\folders\{1618D36B-F4E7-4360-B070-A32070519DC9}\ to view and delete any orphan shadow files.

Regards, Alex

Saturday, July 26, 2008 3:02 PM
  • Thanks Alex, I checked what you told me to look at and both where empty. so I take it's not anything to worry about! thanks again mikesc380

Saturday, July 26, 2008 3:09 PM
  •  mikesc380 wrote:
    Thanks Alex, I checked what you told me to look at and both where empty. so I take it's not anything to worry about! thanks again mikesc380

FYI, it could also be files that you are storing outside of WHS's view (like creating your own directory on the D partition, for example).  Or it could also be your Shadow Copies.

Saturday, July 26, 2008 6:26 PM