OCS Hardware Req RRS feed

• Question

• OK so I'm really new to this but this is just too exciting Smile

I just wanted to clarify what hardware is needed to get this up and running for a small business? I've seen that a media gateway is required, but can anybody recommend an entry level one.  Would a Linksys SPA400 be OK.  Also, must you have a mediation server?  Then I guess SIP phones.

That's all for now Smile  If anyone can point me to a good getting started it would be great.  The white paper on the MS site was to much for me Smile

Thanks,

Karl

Friday, November 23, 2007 3:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Karl,

I don't have the OCS documentation in front of me, so some numbers might not be the same as in the docs, but they are close. Microsoft recommends to use:

• CPU: Dual processor, 3.0 GHz or higher
    • RAM: 2 GB or more
    • HDD: 15 rpm SCSI drives in some kind of a RAID configuration

Since almost for every role (Standard/Enterprise Edition pool, Mediation Server, Edge servers, and so on) you will need a separate machine, that start to seem a bit costly for a small business. But the truth is that this product is actually targeted mostly at the medium and large organizations. Due to Microsoft's documentation the above hardware should support a few thousands of users (something about 3,000).

For small companies you can run some or all roles on a virtual machines, but be aware that that is not supported by Microsoft.

About the media gateways - AudioCodes, Dialogic, and Quintum should be supported. Check this site: http://www.microsoft.com/uc/partners_hardware.mspx.

For the SIP phones - the Office Communicator 2007 Client is actually fully capable "SIP phone" for OCS 2007. There are also hardware devices from LG-Nortel, Polycom, Vitelix and others that are certified to work with OCS 2007 and OC 2007.

Hope that helps.

Lubo.

Monday, November 26, 2007 3:43 PM
  • Hi Karl! I'm on the OCS User Assistance (documentation) team.

Which whitepaper on the MS site (URL) did not give you the information you needed? What specifically would have been helpful to have in that or another document? I'm very interested in your comment about "too much for me." Can you be more specific? Was it too difficult to understand, too long, too broad, too off your mark, or ...? Any info you ccan provide will assist the documentation team in doing a better job next time around.

Thanks! ...SMS

Monday, November 26, 2007 6:11 PM
  •  

Thanks Lubo,  your answers are ust what I needed to start looking in the right direction.  I figured that OCS can scale up to large implementations.  I was hoping it was a nice complement to something like small business sever.  That would be cool for the SME's over here Smile  Well as far as the documentation on the site, this is the link I found too technical and way too long. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=09B218EA-6FF6-4679-A117-9767AB98990A&displaylang=en  I got lost by page 20 and still didn't know where to start.  As soon as I saw mediation server I was lost.  Then today I found this:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/4/4/744b6734-561a-40a9-8d3d-67abf1c9db06/OCS%20Evaluation%20Guide%20Launch%20FINAL.pdf

This is much more like what I needed Smile  I guess the former is named correctly as a technical guide!!  It's just I wanted a quick doc to tell me what spec server I need, how many servers and other hardware to get started to see if this was economically feasible.

Hope this feedback is what you need, if you need more info please let me know.

Karl DB

Saturday, December 1, 2007 10:42 PM