Project Server 2010 Assigning a Resource from the Resource Pool in a Workflow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm building a custom workflow for our business to request projects from IT.  Part of the Workflow is to capture Requestor and Resource Manager.  I can do this by creating enterprise custom fields but I'd rather create a group for Requestors and use the existing Group I have for resource managers.  When I look through all the Project Web App Web Parts none of them seem to have the capabilities of showing a group of resources (resources manager or requestors) to setup a pick list in the workflow. 

I believe I need to create a custom Web Part to do this but could use some direction and input from anyone that has already done something similiar.

Thursday, August 12, 2010 1:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I just stumbled upon this thread and thought I would post an update.

There is a Project Server 2010 solution starter (code.msdn.microsoft.com/P2010SolutionStarter) called the Autocomplete web part that kind of meets this requirement. Basically in a PDP, define a single line of text custom field. Then on the PDP in edit mode add the web part and configure it to look at your team members (requestor) or resource manager (resource manager) group. At runtime, the webpart then changes the behaviour of the web custom field to behave just like a people picker would, allowing you to select a single person from those groups that are then saved in that text field. All pretty neat. The web part also introduces some pretty nifty validation and type ahead features. 

Perhaps give it a whirl? 

Hope this helps,

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Monday, January 10, 2011 8:48 AM

All replies

• Good pick up Donald, your right there is not out of the box "resource picker" for Project Server users. you can use the SharePoint user picker but in order to allow this for project server users you will need to custom dev this feature. As you suggested we have actually created a custom field which populates the users of a project server user group.
    hope this helps and if you come up with a smarter idea let us know :)
    Marc Soester [MVP] http://marcsoester.blogspot.com
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 10:32 PM
  • Thanks Marc,  I apprecaite the heads up.  What I was thinking I could do was get access to the Project Details Web Part code and replicate the code for Owner to create a new field called Business Requestor, Business Owner (Sometimes the requestor and owner are different folks here) and also IS Manager.  I have Visual Studio 2010 installed on the Project Server so if you could direct me on how to get into that Web Part Code maybe I could create a new Web Part under the Project Web App to add these fields.  Any input on that idea would be helpful.

Thanks

Friday, August 13, 2010 12:40 PM
  • HI Donald,

I dont think you will get access to the source code of the project details web part :) Donald, a good start for the development of your own web parts would be the Project Server SDK. Check out this link. You will find a lot of technical information http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc303399.aspx 

Something tells me that the task you are trying to achieve will probably take a little while, but hey I am no developer :) I hope this helps

Marc Soester [MVP] http://marcsoester.blogspot.com
    Monday, August 16, 2010 10:41 AM
  • I had a almost similar question, seemed i posted in wrong thread, should have asked here :-)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/project2010custprog/thread/a14e1285-c9e2-4d77-a30e-72a86e9f5245

Just added the link in case either of them gets updated

Monday, August 16, 2010 12:34 PM
  • Hi,

I just stumbled upon this thread and thought I would post an update.

There is a Project Server 2010 solution starter (code.msdn.microsoft.com/P2010SolutionStarter) called the Autocomplete web part that kind of meets this requirement. Basically in a PDP, define a single line of text custom field. Then on the PDP in edit mode add the web part and configure it to look at your team members (requestor) or resource manager (resource manager) group. At runtime, the webpart then changes the behaviour of the web custom field to behave just like a people picker would, allowing you to select a single person from those groups that are then saved in that text field. All pretty neat. The web part also introduces some pretty nifty validation and type ahead features. 

Perhaps give it a whirl? 

Hope this helps,

Alex Burton
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Monday, January 10, 2011 8:48 AM
  • Thanks I'll give this a shot and let you know how it goes!!
    Donald R. Landry
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 3:37 PM
  • Hi Alex

I was browsing thorugh the solution starter but couldn't find "Auto Complete " web part in the list(below), i am on my way of developing a new one for use, thinking if having the code would save my effort :)

1. Demand Management Export & Import Tool (built 5/29/2010 )
    2. Bulk Edit Tool (built 5/18/2010)
    3. Bulk Import Tool (a.k.a. SharePoint To Project Importer) (built 9/27/2010)
    4. Dynamic Workflow (built 7/3/2010)
    5. EPT Association Tool (built 2/11/2010)
    6. InfoPath Form Viewer Web Part (built 5/29/2010)
    7. Project Workspace List Viewer (built 5/29/2010)
    8. Excel Project Cost Capture (build 11/22/2010)
    9. Workflow Visualization Web Part (11/19/2010)
    10. Report Builder Tool (built 12/13/2010)
    11. Workspace Project Custom Field Web Part (12/27/2010)
    12. Morphing Workflows (built 6/17/2010)
    13. Three State Approval Workflow (built 6/20/2010)
    14. Programs (built 2/21/2010)
    15. Portfolio Strategy Object Publish to RDB (built 12/13/2010)

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 9:26 AM
  • Hi,

It's in the latest version of the source I downloaded from code.msdn.microsoft.com/P2010SolutionStarter, in the Solution Starters / PDPCustomizations.zip file. 

Alex

Alex Burton
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 11:18 AM
  • Hi,

I am unable to find that PDPCustomizations.zip file.

Can you please post the path.

Thanks.

Karthi K

Friday, March 25, 2011 11:52 AM
  • Hi there,

There are three web parts are avilable in PDPCustomizations sollution.

I have used two webparts, Can any one expline me what is the use of "Dynamic Custom Fields " web part.

Thanks,

Karthi K

Friday, March 25, 2011 12:39 PM