dynamics crm 2011 & 2013 in same DB Server Machine and difference instance RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have existing dynamics CRM system, that is 2011 version. I separated into 2 application server and db server (DB & Reporting service).

and now I want to create new dynamics CRM system with 2013 version. I want to separated into 2 application server and db server, but for DB server (DB & Reporting service) I want to deploy with same machine with 2011 version and I created new instance in sql server.

so now I have 3 server (crm2011 application server, crm2013 application server, and db server).

I already install crm 2013, but the problem is when I want to create new organization in crm 2013, they need install "Microsoft Dynamics CRM Reporting Extensions must be installed on SQL Server Reporting Services for reports to work." and I tried to install in DB server "SetupSrsDataConnector" for crm 2013, an error occured like on below:

"

---------------------------
    Microsoft Dynamics CRM Reporting Extensions Setup
    The Microsoft Dynamics CRM 5.0 Connector for SQL Server Reporting Services must be uninstalled before Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013 Reporting Extensions can be installed.

For additional details see logfile C:\Users\admin.crm\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MSCRM\Logs\SrsDataConnectorSetup.log.
    OK   

"

I can not uninstall The Microsoft Dynamics CRM 5.0 Connector for SQL Server Reporting Services  cause is still using for my crm 2011, any advise for this problem? or I must deploy in difference database machine?

thanks.

Monday, December 29, 2014 9:05 AM

Answers

• Each organization from a single CRM deployment or environment utilize the same report server.  Keep in mind that I'm not talking about multiple organizations withing a single CRM deployment.  When the data connector is installed, it writes unique deployment settings into the registry of the report server that link it to that deployment.

You cannot have more than one CRM deployment using the same report server.  Even if you are creating named instances, each separate CRM deployment will need its own report server.

In your case, you already have a single CRM 2011 deployment.  All the organizations for this CRM 2011 deployment are on a single SQL instance and the CRM data connector is installed on a report server.  You can create a new SQL named instance and install CRM 2013 on a new Windows Server.  But you will then need to install the data connector for CRM 2013 on a completely separate and new report server.

We had a senior SQL Admin who mistakenly thought that he could use a single Enterprise SQL and report server for all our CRM deployments and did the same thing.  He refused to believe me and what was written in the CRM 2011 Installation Guide, and tried to create a customized solution so that all the CRM 2011 deployments would work with a single report server.  After a week of trying, and a call to Microsoft, he finally accepted the fact and deployed additional report servers.

You should also consider creating a new OU in AD specific for each CRM deployment.  The install creates new security groups and it is easier to monitor and clean up if you blow that deployment away and re-install.

Jason Peterson

• Marked as answer by pntr Monday, January 5, 2015 4:30 AM
    Monday, December 29, 2014 3:08 PM
  • Hi,

You can use same SSRS for different instances of same version of CRM 2011 or 2013 or 2015 using the same SQL Server instance. However that is not the case with different CRM versions. You cannot use CRM 2015 and CRM 2013 on same reporting instances.

Hope this helps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
     Minal Dahiya
    blog : http://minaldahiya.blogspot.com.au/

If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Vote as Helpful"

• Proposed as answer by Minal Dahiya Sunday, January 4, 2015 10:47 PM
    Sunday, January 4, 2015 10:47 PM

All replies

• I think if you want to retain CRM 5 than you should deploy it differently
    Monday, December 29, 2014 12:38 PM
  • Each organization from a single CRM deployment or environment utilize the same report server.  Keep in mind that I'm not talking about multiple organizations withing a single CRM deployment.  When the data connector is installed, it writes unique deployment settings into the registry of the report server that link it to that deployment.

You cannot have more than one CRM deployment using the same report server.  Even if you are creating named instances, each separate CRM deployment will need its own report server.

In your case, you already have a single CRM 2011 deployment.  All the organizations for this CRM 2011 deployment are on a single SQL instance and the CRM data connector is installed on a report server.  You can create a new SQL named instance and install CRM 2013 on a new Windows Server.  But you will then need to install the data connector for CRM 2013 on a completely separate and new report server.

We had a senior SQL Admin who mistakenly thought that he could use a single Enterprise SQL and report server for all our CRM deployments and did the same thing.  He refused to believe me and what was written in the CRM 2011 Installation Guide, and tried to create a customized solution so that all the CRM 2011 deployments would work with a single report server.  After a week of trying, and a call to Microsoft, he finally accepted the fact and deployed additional report servers.

You should also consider creating a new OU in AD specific for each CRM deployment.  The install creates new security groups and it is easier to monitor and clean up if you blow that deployment away and re-install.

Jason Peterson

Monday, December 29, 2014 3:08 PM
  • Hi

I tried to keep CRM 2011 & 2013 together in one server but I couldn't do it well. and many problem happen I tried to use different sql instance , installation directories , different users. And for SSRS the error was you should delete the pervious version and install 2013 one.

Mojtaba

Sunday, January 4, 2015 7:10 PM
  • Hi,

You can use same SSRS for different instances of same version of CRM 2011 or 2013 or 2015 using the same SQL Server instance. However that is not the case with different CRM versions. You cannot use CRM 2015 and CRM 2013 on same reporting instances.

Hope this helps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
     Minal Dahiya
    blog : http://minaldahiya.blogspot.com.au/

If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Vote as Helpful"

• Proposed as answer by Minal Dahiya Sunday, January 4, 2015 10:47 PM
    Sunday, January 4, 2015 10:47 PM
  • thanks.

I will install and deploy 2011 version and 2013 version in difference machine.

Monday, January 5, 2015 4:31 AM