Easy File Upload does not work. Help???? RRS feed

• Question

• I have never been able to get the easy file upload to function. I can drag an item to the window but when I drop it nothing happens. It does not appear in the drop area. I have tried music files and pictures. I can use the standard file upload without issue. I would like to use the Easy File upload so multiple files can be moved remotely as intended.  Am I missing something?  Is this the case for others? I cannot find much information on this issue. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 5:50 PM

All replies

• Mikester86 said:

I have never been able to get the easy file upload to function. I can drag an item to the window but when I drop it nothing happens. It does not appear in the drop area. I have tried music files and pictures. I can use the standard file upload without issue. I would like to use the Easy File upload so multiple files can be moved remotely as intended.  Am I missing something?  Is this the case for others? I cannot find much information on this issue. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Did you install the ActiveX control?  What web browser are using to upload?
    Friday, March 6, 2009 4:34 AM
  • I am using Internet Explorer 7. I am running Windows XP SP3.  If I remeber correctly, when I first launched the Easy File Upload option it prompted me to install an Active X control. Is there a site that you can direct me to for downloading the correct Active X controlol for Easy File Upload to function properly? All else functions normally with the WHS. Thanks
    Friday, March 6, 2009 1:21 PM
  • If you already installed the ActiveX it's probably your IE security settings. Hard to tell which setting to change.

To check you can change the security zone for the your homeserver page. Security zone, probably "internet" right now)  is indicated somewhere at the bottom of your IE window. Double click the security zone icon to change. Try Trusted websites or Local Intranet. This should help you find out which setting to change.

Also in IE7 please check Tools, Enable - Disable Add-on's.

The ActiveX control to look for is Microsoft.HomeServer.RichUpload.UploadControl Class (should be enabled). The ActiveX is downloaded from your homeserver.
    Friday, March 6, 2009 2:41 PM
  •  I see the correct Active X Control you informed me of. It is present and enabled. The site is and has been added to my Trusted Sites. Thank you for the help. Unfortunately, the issue remains. Any other ideas or thoughts? Thanks
    Friday, March 6, 2009 5:27 PM
  • One more thing I noiced. The Active X control is listed in Manage Add ons, Enable or Disable Add-Ons, Add ons that have been used by Internet Explorer. It is enabled. It is not displaying in Add-Ons currently loaded in Internet Explorer. Any thoughts on how to load it?. Thanks.
    Friday, March 6, 2009 5:50 PM
  •  Never mind. It loads it once I am at the Easy Upload area. I still cannot upload anything. Is there something on the Server Itself that needs to be enabled/Disabled or set up for Easy File Upload to function?
    Friday, March 6, 2009 5:53 PM
  • Active X controls and plug ins are disabled on the WHS. Do they need to be enabled? Are there anny other settings in IE7 that should be enabled/disabled? Thanks again.
    Friday, March 6, 2009 6:30 PM
  • Mikester86 said:

Never mind. It loads it once I am at the Easy Upload area. I still cannot upload anything. Is there something on the Server Itself that needs to be enabled/Disabled or set up for Easy File Upload to function?

No it should be automatic.  Any chance you can take a screenshot and post a link to it here?
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 12:23 AM
  •  Microsoft.HomeServer.RichUpload.UploadControl Class is loaded and enabled once I am logged into the Server web page. But on the Server itself, Active X controls and plug ins are disabled. Internet Explorer of the pc I use to log into the server with has Microsoft.HomeServer.RichUpload.UploadControl Active X control loaded and enabled.
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 3:01 AM
  •  Am I the only one experiencing this issue with Easy File Upload? Is there something on the server itself wether in IE7 or some place else that needs to be configured a specific way for Easy File Upload to function? HELP!!!
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 11:40 AM
  • I just tried something. I went to the Easy File Upload and wanted to upload some photos. I was able to navigate to the source folder on my pc. I was able to select multiple images and click "open" and it moved all of the selected images over to be uploaded. I was able to upload them without issue. As far as dragging a single image or multiple images into the upload area, nothing happens. Is this how it is supposed to function? Are you supposed to be able to drag and drop items into the upload area? I can live with being able to select multiple items and upload. That is great. Just wondering if it is possible to drag and drop. I cannot do it. Can anyone else? Thanks.
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 12:40 PM
  • Mikester86 said:

I see the correct Active X Control you informed me of. It is present and enabled. The site is and has been added to my Trusted Sites. Thank you for the help. Unfortunately, the issue remains. Any other ideas or thoughts? Thanks

Did you also try adding the site to "Local Intranet"?

If that also fails please remove the site again from "Local Intranet" and "Trusted Site" zones.

Then :

1. From Tools, Internet Options, Security tab click "Reset all zones to default level"
    2. From Tools, Internet Options, Advanced tab
      1. Click "Restore advanced settings"
      2. Click "Reset"
    3. From Tools, Internet Options, General tab , Browsing History, click "Delete", then Click Delete All
    4. Remove the ActiveX control, Tools, Manage Add-ons. Enable or Disable Add-ons, from the dropdown box select "Downloaded ActiveX Controls, Delete "Microsoft.HomeServer.RichUpload.UploadControl Class" and "Microsoft RDP Client control (redist)"
    5. Reboot, connect to your home server and try again.

If you are using an office computer it could also be your company / it department / sysadmin has implemented certain measures / policies that prevent the ActiveX from working.

AFAIK this is a pretty rare issue.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 12:47 PM
  • I have the same issue.  The drag and drop would not work at all.  I used both IE 6 through 8 with the same results.  The select and open method works fine, but the drag and drop does not.
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 12:28 PM