Can we remove the "Replies" stat on the front page of a forum? I have a good reason! RRS feed

• Question

• When I ask a question in the forums, if no one replies, I have a real chance at someone answering my question...  If someone replies with something that shows they didn't listen to the question, if they give an answer that isn't correct, or just that they too want to see an answer, fah-get-about it, the question is done!  There is almost no hope left.

As long as people can see that "someone" has replied, I can not get an answer.  People do not seem to use the checkmark for answers as the guide as to whether they will interact with a post, but rather seem to pay attention to un-replied questions.

Its gotten so bad I practically want to click on the "report as abuse " thing in the forum when I do not have an answer because I know I'm doomed.

So while this feature would be nice if it was used properly, in the end it just ruins countless experiences here.

I know people will disagree with me, I know some will say its not Microsofts fault, and that people need to use things right and just go by the answer check mark, but I've given up and I hope MSFT will agree!

Thank you,
    Keith
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 3:59 PM

All replies

• Do you think that it would be better to show the number of Answers instead?
    Friday, March 19, 2010 5:57 AM
  • Something, anything...  

Perhaps make Answers a column, with the replies number a footnote in the same space.  Honestly, you must have seen this effect here.  Look at my posts... I strike out all the time just because someone replied.

Friday, March 19, 2010 2:35 PM
  • People answering question shouldn't be avoiding unanswered questions just because they have a reply. Is this what you are saying is happening? I think showing the number of replies is important for a couple of reasons a. it helps people 'prioritise (not avoid)' ensuring people are getting some contribution b. it helps users identify threads that are very active or controversial.

I agree that the main goal of the system (to get people answers) needs to be visually more significant, in the face of users so they have a high visual priority of where to take action. I think we can work on that problem.

In my opinio, a major flaw in our workflow has to do with the notion that answers ARE replies, until someone marks them. We need the concept of letting people answer (or try), not just reply.

Community Forums Program Manager
    Friday, March 19, 2010 5:53 PM
  • I think we are on the same page.  People simply seem to avoid answering and interacting because of a reply.

The other thing that happens is that you have a person think they "answered" a question and you try what they say, and it doesn't work...  So you reply, and a great deal of the time, you're out of luck at that point because people think someone else is involved and the person involved doesn't even write back.   Its as though I only want someone to reply if they will take the responsibility to follow through.. Because... If they answered wrong its as though people take thier involvement as a way to avoid the thread.  When you get caught with both dynamics it becomes madening and your only recourse is to bang your head against the way trying to solve the problem or ask the question again and tell people to refer to the other post before they reply so that you can prevent the same problem like before.  Which makes you seem ____, ya know?

This problem has gotten so bad for me that we just purchased sofware assurance for SQL Server just for official tech support since the forums aren't capable of getting answers out because of this dynamic; that covers me for SQL when this happens to me.  My fear though is that my MSDN license only comes with 2 support issues and I don't want to buy SA with every product I have from MSFT besides my SQL.  It's too much money; and the expertise is here in the forum if you can reach people.

Any help I can be in testing a new work flow would be given as I've become passionate about this and this issue has cost my company real hard cash.

Thanks again,

Keith

Friday, March 19, 2010 7:14 PM
  • People answering question shouldn't be avoiding unanswered questions just because they have a reply. Is this what you are saying is happening? I think showing the number of replies is important for a couple of reasons a. it helps people 'prioritise (not avoid)' ensuring people are getting some contribution b. it helps users identify threads that are very active or controversial.

I agree that the main goal of the system (to get people answers) needs to be visually more significant, in the face of users so they have a high visual xvid priority of where to take action. I think we can work on that problem.

In my opinio, a major flaw in our workflow has to do with the notion that answers ARE replies, until someone marks them. We need the concept of letting people answer (or try), not just reply.

Community Forums Program Manager

I agree with you more. It sounds more reasonable.
    Friday, July 30, 2010 12:14 AM