Accessing shared calendar file (.ics) on WHS with iPhone RRS feed

  • Question

  • l have a WHS 2011 with WebDAV enabled and my wife and I have shared calendars through it for some time.  Our Outlook calendar files save to a published .ics file on a shared folder of WHS -- she can see my calendar, I can see hers. All good as long as we are on the network ...

    I have been trying to add this shared file to my iPhone's set of calendars -- the phone supports Calendars stored in .ics format.  With every possible config I've tried I get the same response: "Calendar Subscription  -- Unable to verify account information" 

    Through the phone's browser, I can get to the .ics file in the folder.  The path is xxxx.homeserver.com/webcal/nat_calendar.ics. I've tried sending an invite to myself, opening it in the phone, clicking on the link and I get this error:  Cannot Subscribe:  Could not subscribe to the calendar "nat_calendar.ics from "myservername". 

    Is it possible that connecting to an .ics file is only possible via a LAN connection? (taking the internet out of .ics??!!??)

     Any ideas?

    -- Nat


    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:48 PM


All replies

  • Hi,

    Thank you for the post.

    I did some research and found this thread may help you: http://bradfo.wordpress.com/2012/02/09/ical-ics-subscription-service-with-ipad-and-iphone/


    Nick Gu - MSFT

    • Proposed as answer by Nick Gu - MSFT Monday, February 25, 2013 8:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by natbr Tuesday, February 26, 2013 5:13 AM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 1:59 AM
  • Hi Nick !!

    Thank you! I will certainly give this a try tonight (probably right at the limits of my technical ability ... fingers crossed) but it certainly looks promising. 

    I'll let you know how it goes !

    Thanks again for your help -- especially at 2 in the morning !

    -- Nat


    Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:26 AM
  • Hi Nick, 

    Thanks for pointing me to Joe Bradford's post on wordpress as it answered my problem.  Actually his post answered two issues one of which I thankfully did not have to resolve.  Following his  advice, I changed the MIME type of the .ics file to text/calendar from application/octet-stream and the iPhone could connect without a hitch.  Success !! 

    For his second problem he also had to remove the Byte Order Mark (BOM) -- and I did download a hex editor and took a look at my file in hex -- and it was ugly !! Would not have probably navigated that one too successfully. 

    Anyway thanks for your help !! A real lifesaver... 

    -- Nat 


    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 5:17 AM