Windows Live Search compatibility problem with WM6 Smartphone RRS feed

• Question

• I've asked this question on many non-Microsoft boards.  I'm hoping this can make it to a developer here.

I've been a fan of Windows Live Search on my AT&T Blackjack for many months.  I recently upgraded to the HTC S630 (aka, Dopod C730, HTC Cavalier) and was very excited to try Windows Live Search on the 400MHz processor and HSDPA network.  It performs wonderfully fast and worked immediately with my BlueTooth GPS.

Unfortunately, I soon found a fatal flaw.  The S630 is running Windows Mobile 6 and it appears there is a compatibility problem between the QWERTY keyboard and Windows Live Search.  If I press any letter that also has a number on it, only the number shows up in the search box.  This bug makes it impossible to enter new destinations without first creating a contact, then searching for the address in the contact.

This problem has been discussed at length on many public wiki's, but no resolution or workarounds have been posted.

As a side note, the e-mail address at the bottom of the http://wls.live.com site bounces.

Thanks,

JonnyWiFi

MA, USA

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 12:50 AM

All replies

• I'm glad you passed that on John ... very interesting and very  troubling.  But in fact, although it is a pain in the neck, you have posted a "work-around" for those that have the device and need an immediate solution and that was to create a contact with thte address.

It certainly is not the best solution for ease and comfort but it is a temporary solution to a big problem.  I expect someone will read this and I hope it moves toward a resolution.

Thanks again John!

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 4:39 AM
  •  jonnywifi wrote:

I've asked this question on many non-Microsoft boards.  I'm hoping this can make it to a developer here.

I've been a fan of Windows Live Search on my AT&T Blackjack for many months.  I recently upgraded to the HTC S630 (aka, Dopod C730, HTC Cavalier) and was very excited to try Windows Live Search on the 400MHz processor and HSDPA network.  It performs wonderfully fast and worked immediately with my BlueTooth GPS.

Unfortunately, I soon found a fatal flaw.  The S630 is running Windows Mobile 6 and it appears there is a compatibility problem between the QWERTY keyboard and Windows Live Search.  If I press any letter that also has a number on it, only the number shows up in the search box.  This bug makes it impossible to enter new destinations without first creating a contact, then searching for the address in the contact.

This problem has been discussed at length on many public wiki's, but no resolution or workarounds have been posted.

As a side note, the e-mail address at the bottom of the http://wls.live.com site bounces.

Thanks,

JonnyWiFi

MA, USA

I have seen this same problem on my Verizon XV6800.  I've been loving the Live Search app on my Treo 700wx but after switching devices to the 6800 running WM6 Pro I've found the same problem as you.  The virtual on screen keyboard does work correctly but the slid-out QWERTY keyboard is as if the ALT/Option button is locked on, but it's not... so not able to type letters.  ARGH!?!?  Has there been any resolution to this?

Monday, March 10, 2008 6:28 PM
  • Have you tried http://mobile.live.com ?

Monday, March 10, 2008 8:38 PM
  •  

I have a Verizon XV6800... so when I go to mobile.live.com I get the VZW branded live site which has a "New! Live Search Download"... which brings me to a download page for Live Search.  The application downloads and installs successfully but the QWERTY keyboard is still stuck in "symbol mode"... again, the virtual on-screen keyboard works properly.  Very frustrating.  Very silly problem... especially since this device came with WM6 pre-installed.  It should come with the Live suite of software installed!  Any other thoughts?
    Tuesday, March 11, 2008 11:00 AM