Cannot remove "Read Only" from my shares. I deselect the box and then it returns next time I check it. RRS feed

• Question

• I have had WHS setup for about 6months and have noticed at times that I don't always have permission to make changes to my folders. I get the " You need permission to perform this action". Now I have Guest enabled so my main 3 PC's can connect to the server without needing sign in passwords at each PC. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. I have the guest account setup to FULL on all shared folders.
    Even if I disable Guest account and sign in under my single password protected account I still get the same limited folder access w/ READ ONLY always enabled.

If I remove the check under "Read Only" in folder properties it just comes back the next time I check it. I notice while working even on the server the READ ONLY area is selected and I can't remove it.

Any ideas?
    • Edited by Don Tan Friday, June 26, 2009 5:40 PM Fixing Thread Title bug
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 12:53 AM

All replies

• I have had WHS setup for about 6months and have noticed at times that I don't always have permission to make changes to my folders. I get the " You need permission to perform this action". Now I have Guest enabled so my main 3 PC's can connect to the server without needing sign in passwords at each PC. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. I have the guest account setup to FULL on all shared folders.

If I remove the check under "Read Only" in folder properties it just comes back the next time I check it. I notice while working even on the server the READ ONLY area is selected and I can't remove it.

Any ideas?

Changing the permissions on individual folders on WHS is unsupported.  Permissions are controlled at the share level through the Console (Full, Read, or None).
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 12:55 AM
    Even if I disable Guest account and sign in under my single password protected account I still get the same limited folder access w/ READ ONLY always enabled.

Any ideas?

This is by design for Server 2003, XP and Vista.  You can clear the read only flag by using attrib but that is not recommended.

In short, Windows ignores the read only flag for a folder so this is not your problem. If read only was the problem, you would get an error that the file was read only or in use. The error you are getting is in regards to your account not having the proper rights to the file i.e. are you an administrator on the box?

Thanks!
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 1:39 AM
  • The user account on the Vista 64 workstation PC is an admin account. If I don't have Guest account enabled on the server then before I can view any shared content on this workstation I have to sign in using the servers user/password. But even this route I still get the same warning. I have Guest enabled so that way I can access my files on any PC in the home without having a user accounts setup on the server.

The reason I didn't want additional user accounts is I wanted to avoid signing in with passwords on the home PC's which it seems you must create a password for each of these accounts.  Should I create a user account on the server for each sign in account of the home PC's? But even testing that option I still have the same issue.

How do I go about getting permission setup in my situation. Why can't I rename folders or delete them at times? Is this limited access feature on everyone's WHS system?

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 2:41 AM
  • The user account on the Vista 64 workstation PC is an admin account. If I don't have Guest account enabled on the server then before I can view any shared content on this workstation I have to sign in using the servers user/password. But even this route I still get the same warning. I have Guest enabled so that way I can access my files on any PC in the home without having a user accounts setup on the server.

The reason I didn't want additional user accounts is I wanted to avoid signing in with passwords on the home PC's which it seems you must create a password for each of these accounts.  Should I create a user account on the server for each sign in account of the home PC's? But even testing that option I still have the same issue.

How do I go about getting permission setup in my situation. Why can't I rename folders or delete them at times? Is this limited access feature on everyone's WHS system?

You should be able to rename/delete folders beneath the default shares. If you want to create new shares underneath \\<servername>\, you will need to use the console.

In otherwords, if you create a folder within your videos share, you should be able to rename it and/or delete it. You cannot, however, browse to \\<servername>\ and attempt to create a new directory at the same level as your default shares. You should use the console for this.

After creating a share, you may need to log off and then log back in. If you don't, you may receive access denied messages.  

You can try creating a user account and loging in but I would also make sure that the shares were set up properly.

This is the technical brief for user accounts and shared folders
    Windows Home Server
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 2:58 AM
  • Thank you again for the good information. However what started my post today was the default Photo's share. I have folders inside this default share that I could not drag/drop/rename/delete.  I understand I have to create a new shared folder from within the console. I have done that for my movies folder and it too has the same issues as the default photo folder. Everything in console that I can see that provides full access I have set. I don't have a complicated setup with multi level users, just me and my wife so full access is all I need.

Very odd, I just tried to go into my default photos folder. I have 6 sub folders inside. I started by creating a new folder and it worked. I then tried to rename one of my created 6 folders and it wouldn't let me. I went down the list and the third folder allowed me to rename it. Then I tried to rename it again and it wouldn't. So some would work briefly and now they are not working as well. ??? Edit * 5mins later I went back and most all of the sub folders now allow me to rename them. The main folder with all my photos does not allow me to rename it. Could it be that I have another PC using SlideShow to photos store in this folder?
    • Edited by eno45 Tuesday, June 23, 2009 4:49 AM
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 4:40 AM
  • Thank you again for the good information. However what started my post today was the default Photo's share. I have folders inside this default share that I could not drag/drop/rename/delete.  I understand I have to create a new shared folder from within the console. I have done that for my movies folder and it too has the same issues as the default photo folder. Everything in console that I can see that provides full access I have set. I don't have a complicated setup with multi level users, just me and my wife so full access is all I need.

Very odd, I just tried to go into my default photos folder. I have 6 sub folders inside. I started by creating a new folder and it worked. I then tried to rename one of my created 6 folders and it wouldn't let me. I went down the list and the third folder allowed me to rename it. Then I tried to rename it again and it wouldn't. So some would work briefly and now they are not working as well. ??? Edit * 5mins later I went back and most all of the sub folders now allow me to rename them. The main folder with all my photos does not allow me to rename it. Could it be that I have another PC using SlideShow to photos store in this folder?
    Shut down the other PC or PCs so that only one PC is accessing the server and then attempt your repro. Please let us know the results.

Thanks

Windows Home Server
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 4:49 PM
  • Yep, I tried that already. Most of the time it is only my main PC and the server that is running. What is weird is the permission issue comes and goes. I have a dual boot system with Vista 64 and W7 RC1 loaded. Under Windows7 it does the same thing but a different warning. It says another program has the file open or is accessing it,etc. What is odd under both OS's is if I try to rename a folder it might give me the warning but then 1 min later after going into other folders I can come back and move the folder or rename it without issue. Rather annouying, I am trying to organize my 50gb photo folder. This issue happens on any PC on the network.
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:32 AM
  • Yep, I tried that already. Most of the time it is only my main PC and the server that is running. What is weird is the permission issue comes and goes. I have a dual boot system with Vista 64 and W7 RC1 loaded. Under Windows7 it does the same thing but a different warning. It says another program has the file open or is accessing it,etc. What is odd under both OS's is if I try to rename a folder it might give me the warning but then 1 min later after going into other folders I can come back and move the folder or rename it without issue. Rather annouying, I am trying to organize my 50gb photo folder. This issue happens on any PC on the network.

Is the server up to date? When you check in the console under settings>resources does it indicate 2030.x? This would be Power Pack 2.

Also, you might try using process monitor on the server to determine what program or process is preventing you from changing the folder.

Thanks
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:37 AM

Do you have software RAID enabled on your server?
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 5:23 PM
  • No , I don't. What I have been thinking it might be is the user accounts. Under the server I didn't create a user account for each PC's log in account. I enabled GUEST account so I could have file sharing with the server without the need to create each user account if that makes sense. Do you think this could be causing the issue? I have the GUEST account set to allow all read/write under the console software. The issue still happens a lot, I sometimes get permission warnings and can't move folders , delete or rename them but I can add content usually without any issues. Odd. I might try creating user accounts for each log in account on each of the PC's. Thanks for continuing to help with this.
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 7:14 PM