Product key RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My HDD is failed and I can't boot windows. How can I reinstall windows10 without the product key number? 

The pc is legal, the company buy it but they don't have the documentation of the product. There is a way to reinstall the windows without lost the license?

Regards

Friday, March 6, 2020 2:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

My HDD is failed and I can't boot windows. How can I reinstall windows10 without the product key number? 

The pc is legal, the company buy it but they don't have the documentation of the product. There is a way to reinstall the windows without lost the license?

Regards

Hello,

Try repairing boot records first, using these steps:

1. Start your Windows 10 machine, and quickly shut it down before it reaches or if it is at boot screen. Do this two times repeatedly.

2. On the third time, Windows 10 will automatically display 'Your PC couldn't start properly' message. Now press Esc key for recovery options.

3. Then under Choose an option screen, click Troubleshoot option and now click Advanced options option.

4. Under Advanced options screen, click Command Prompt.

5. Type following commands one-by-one and press Enter key after each:

BOOTREC /SCANOS

BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD

6. Close Command Prompt and see if issue is resolved now.

Reference: https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-windows-10-master-boot-record-corrupted

Let us know if this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP. 

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Friday, March 6, 2020 4:27 AM
  • Thank you Kapil,

Sadly I tried what you suggest and it didn't work. And the bootrec /fixboot don't work, it said that the access is denied the others commands are ok.

There is a way to reinstall windows without losing the product key? I don't care about the files, just don't want to lose the pc.

regards

Friday, March 6, 2020 5:44 AM
  • Create a bootable Windows 10 installation media, then use it to clean install.

If your computer had been activated before, when re-install system complete, connect to Internet and Windows will be activated automatically. If the computer is not activated before, you need to contact manufacturer support for system reinstall.

Create installation media here, you need a USB drive whose size bigger than 4GB

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Regards

"Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Friday, March 6, 2020 6:42 AM
  • The documentation is part of the license.  If the PC belonged to a company, the license to the PC also belongs to the company and cannot be transferred to an individual. You will need to purchase a new Windows 10 license.

Carey Frisch

Friday, March 6, 2020 7:38 AM
  • The documentation is part of the license.  If the PC belonged to a company, the license to the PC also belongs to the company and cannot be transferred to an individual. You will need to purchase a new Windows 10 license.

Carey Frisch

Sorry, I didn’t mean that. Is the pc company and I trying to recover it to use in the company, but the administration lost the documentation, so I have to find another way to don’t lost the pc. We can’t afford a new one... sad reality. Kkk Thank you for your comment.
    Friday, March 6, 2020 11:18 PM
  • Perhaps the following third-party suggestions might help: How to Find Windows 10 Product Key

Carey Frisch

Saturday, March 7, 2020 2:11 AM