Access denied to OneCare Backup set RRS feed

• Question

•  

When I try to look at the backup files for my primary computer. I get a “. . . not accessible, Access is denied” message.

I have checked the properties for the folder and full control is allowed -- all of the permissions check boxes are checked.

I also gota similar message when I tried to share the folder.

Is there a setting somewhere that will allow me to see those files?

I have tested restoring files and find that works just fine.

Monday, August 18, 2008 3:53 PM

Answers

• The backup folder and contents are protected by OneCare. See the FAQ: How to Delete Backups  regarding how to strip this protection.

However, there really is no reason to look in this folder as OneCare manages it for you and you've already confirmed that a restore works.

-steve

Monday, August 18, 2008 5:03 PM

All replies

• The backup folder and contents are protected by OneCare. See the FAQ: How to Delete Backups  regarding how to strip this protection.

However, there really is no reason to look in this folder as OneCare manages it for you and you've already confirmed that a restore works.

-steve

Monday, August 18, 2008 5:03 PM
  • The Windows properties indications are very misleading. I had followed the instructions in FAQ on backups and the permissions were set as advised.. It is a good thing that I remember how to use the command prompt -- because it required that command to make it happen.

There is a good reason for looking -- a full backup drive. As the FAQ backup clearly states, OneCare does not have a maintenance mode built into it. So, old backups need to be deleted manually.

Monday, August 18, 2008 8:17 PM
  • Yes, if the drive has run out of space, you need to delete the old and start again. In that case, you'd need to deal with the permissions unless you were formatting the drive. Checking the folder contents, however, isn't needed until that time. I really do wish that a maintenance function was added to backup. :-)

-steve

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 12:55 PM
  • So, (after reading FAQ How to Delete Backkups again) does this mean that periodically (perhaps once a month?)  a new backup set should be created and the old set deleted?

Assuming yes is the answer, this is too bad – I have recommended OneCare to some folks that need an easy to use product –and who will be intimidated by having to go to Windows Explorer to delete the old file.

Can you urge Microsoft to correct this deficiency?  Or how can I do this?

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 8:10 PM
  • Unless you are backing up very frequently and/or you have a very large amount of new and changed files at each backup, the majority of people won't encounter this condition at all for quite some time. It could be a year or more before a space problem crops up for most people, particularly with 500 gig external USB drives dropping to the $100 range.

Most people will backup monthly, so space won't be an issue, even if they backup all file types offered in the plan configuration including "other."

I agree that it is a deficiency in OneCare backup and the team is aware of it based on feedback here and I imagine support handles quite a few calls on the problem.

You can submit feedback directly via http://feedback.live.com - select Windows Live OneCare from the list.

-steve

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 12:49 PM
  • Thanks for yourhelp on this Steve.

Since I have OneCare set for daily backups I will be doing monthly maintence manually by creating a new backup file and then deleting the old one.

I used the link you provided to send  feedback on my concerns -- including my dissatisfaction with the poorly written FAQ on deleting backup files. It has taken me too much time to figure this out -- and only with your help have i been able to come up with a practical way of dealing with my USB drive which is already three quarters full.

Again, I appreciate your help on this.

Jackie

Thursday, August 21, 2008 2:23 PM
  • You're welcome. :-)

The Forum FAQ on backup is written by me - consolidating information from various sources, so I'll take your feedback on that and revisit it!

The Help Text in Instant Support for OneCare is not written by me. If that's what you meant, then submitting feedback on this through the feedback link is absolutely appropriate.

-steve

Thursday, August 21, 2008 8:22 PM
  • Hi Steve,

I have pasted a couple of your answers into a Word document and highlighted some info that I think would help to provide better info in the FAQ. I have also included some info that would help someone like me. Shall I paste it in here? Or is there a way I can forward it to you ?

Jackie
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 4:02 PM
  • Hi, Jackie. You can paste it here and/or send it to me at sboots@mvps.org. If sending, put OneCare in the subject line and paste this in the message body: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3783312&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, August 25, 2008 5:49 PM
  • I tried to add new changed files to my original backup file and it would not let me. I could not delete it. I think I finally got one deleted by using the command prompt to delete it. I created a new backup on a new external hard drive. The first backup was also on an external drive. I did not try to check restore from it. Does this sound normal?

Saturday, October 11, 2008 12:46 AM
  • If you performed a reinstall, you would need to create a new fill backup. Yes, this would be normal.

-steve

Monday, October 13, 2008 5:50 PM