Change associated onecare ID RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have 2 retail purchased copies (CDs) of OneCare running on 5 PCs. 3 PCs are associated to 1 logon and 2 PCs are associated to another login. How can I have all 5 PCs on the same OneCare Circle? Can I change the login for 2 PCs to get them in the same circle as the other 3?

Thursday, June 26, 2008 10:44 PM

Answers

• I'm going to move your post to the multi-PC management topic.

Unfortunately, you have 2 Circles as a Circle is defined as all PCs activated on a single subscription. Each LiveID can only have a single subscription and a subscription can have a maximum of 3 PCs activated to it. So, at this time, they way that you have set up the 5 PCs is the correct way to set things up. You will have two independent Circles until such time that it becomes possible to add licenses to a subscription to have more than 3 PCs activated with the same LiveID.

-steve

Friday, June 27, 2008 12:29 AM

All replies

• I'm going to move your post to the multi-PC management topic.

Unfortunately, you have 2 Circles as a Circle is defined as all PCs activated on a single subscription. Each LiveID can only have a single subscription and a subscription can have a maximum of 3 PCs activated to it. So, at this time, they way that you have set up the 5 PCs is the correct way to set things up. You will have two independent Circles until such time that it becomes possible to add licenses to a subscription to have more than 3 PCs activated with the same LiveID.

-steve

Friday, June 27, 2008 12:29 AM
  • Thanks, but being unable to leave things alone, I uninstalled OneCare from the 2nd circle PCs and reinstalled OneCare from the CD (the2nd CD). This time I used the same login I used on the other 3 PCs (1st CD). It worked and I now have 5 PCs in one Circle. No problems so far.

Friday, June 27, 2008 1:04 AM
  • Technically, that works now, and legally you have 2 subscriptions - so, you are paying for the copies you are running. However, if they decide to enforce the 3 PC limit on a single subscription at some point, you'll have to change the 2 other back to the 2nd subscription.

-steve
    Friday, June 27, 2008 1:08 AM
  • So, if I have 6 CDs of OneCare which I can use for 18 PCs right? Is it ok for me to just installed every PCs using one LiveID?

Monday, June 30, 2008 7:47 AM
  • By license, you can use the same LiveID to activate 3 copies of OneCare. This means that your 6 copies of OneCare will require 6 LiveIDs and nets you 6 subscriptions for a total of 18 computers.

-steve

Monday, June 30, 2008 3:11 PM