none
Re-activate Windows 7? RRS feed

• Question

• I just just had a mother board failure and replaced it, within the past few days I noticed in the bottom right corner that Windows is no longer genuine. Do I need a new PID with a new mobo or can I just reinstall windows to resolve this?

Thanks

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 7:28 PM

Answers

• "Daakusutepsu" wrote in message news:c9526155-ee09-49d5-b159-70d23165d179...

I just just had a mother board failure and replaced it, within the past few days I noticed in the bottom right corner that Windows is no longer genuine. Do I need a new PID with a new mobo or can I just reinstall windows to resolve this?

Thanks

If your machine came with Windows pre-installed, then it has an OEM license – such licenses die with the motherboard, unless the board is replaced under warranty conditions, or with an exact duplicate board.
    You may well need to purchase a new license.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Daakusutepsu Wednesday, November 30, 2011 12:45 AM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 11:56 PM

All replies

• "Daakusutepsu" wrote in message news:c9526155-ee09-49d5-b159-70d23165d179...

I just just had a mother board failure and replaced it, within the past few days I noticed in the bottom right corner that Windows is no longer genuine. Do I need a new PID with a new mobo or can I just reinstall windows to resolve this?

Thanks

If your machine came with Windows pre-installed, then it has an OEM license – such licenses die with the motherboard, unless the board is replaced under warranty conditions, or with an exact duplicate board.
    You may well need to purchase a new license.

• Marked as answer by Daakusutepsu Wednesday, November 30, 2011 12:45 AM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 11:56 PM
  • It's a good thing MS doesn't make cars... every time you'd get an oil change you'd have to buy a new engine.

Thanks anyway

• Edited by Daakusutepsu Wednesday, November 30, 2011 12:38 AM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 12:37 AM
  • "Daakusutepsu" wrote in message news:98f71d14-82a3-48d3-b80c-32089426df68...

It's a good thing MS doesn't make cars... every time you'd get an oil change you'd have to buy a new engine.

Thanks anyway

When you change the chassis of your car, you usually have to change the bodywork too :)

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:21 AM