Custom lookup with non-CRM data? RRS feed

• Question

• We are using filtered lookups on various forms to allow for custom record selection.  However, one of the requirements we now have is to have a lookup that displays external Dynamics Great Plains data (ie SOP Invoices) and once the user has selected a GP Invoice from the list we run a custom process in CRM.

Is it possible for a filtered lookup to display non-CRM data?  I'm not aware of a way that FetchXML can be used to query another database, but maybe there is some approach I haven't heard of.   Maybe a filtered lookup can be populated with a query approach outside of FetchXML that supports external databases?

If this isn't possible, what would be the easiest approach to display a list of non-crm records that allows the user to select one and then have us kick off a custom JavaScript or Plugin process in CRM.

Thank you

• Edited by Cipher Monday, July 15, 2013 5:20 PM
    Monday, July 15, 2013 3:55 PM

Answers

• One option might be to use a web resource (Silverlight of HTML/JS) in the form that does the querying and displaying of the records. A selection here could update a hidden field on the CRM form that could in turn trigger a workflow or plugin.

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Monday, July 15, 2013 6:17 PM

All replies

• One option might be to use a web resource (Silverlight of HTML/JS) in the form that does the querying and displaying of the records. A selection here could update a hidden field on the CRM form that could in turn trigger a workflow or plugin.

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Monday, July 15, 2013 6:17 PM
  • Thanks, Jason.  That's the approach we're going to take. 
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 3:35 AM