WHS reinstall... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I like many others installed WHS on any old computer lying around to test, this old athlon 1.3 has been running away in my garage ever since. anyways after reading that the next release of WHS maybe 64bit only and the fact that I happend to stumble across a 64bit computer the day before (must be fate) I would like to take the plunge and replace the old athlon 1.3

My question is what are my options..

Complete fresh install of WHS and copy all the data around manually

Take the HDD's out of the old machine including the system drive, stick them in this new machine and reinstall WHS

Or someother option?

Also what would be the deal with it currently being 32bit and going to 64bit, I assume WHS knows nothing about 64bit?

Thanks for any advice
    Chris
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 2:28 PM

Answers

• bluetba said:

Take the HDD's out of the old machine including the system drive, stick them in this new machine and reinstall WHS

This would be your best bet, in my opinion.

Also what would be the deal with it currently being 32bit and going to 64bit, I assume WHS knows nothing about 64bit?

Windows Home Server is built on a 32 bit version of Windows Server 2003. However, nothing has been said (to date) by Microsoft about the platform for the next version, except that it will be "Windows 7" based. "Windows 7" is available in both 32 bit and 64 bit versions right now.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 4:39 PM

All replies

• bluetba said:

This would be your best bet, in my opinion.

Windows Home Server is built on a 32 bit version of Windows Server 2003. However, nothing has been said (to date) by Microsoft about the platform for the next version, except that it will be "Windows 7" based. "Windows 7" is available in both 32 bit and 64 bit versions right now.

Thursday, January 22, 2009 4:39 PM
  • That is very true I have just been reading rumours and best guesses - but they (microsoft) have said that server 2008 will be the last ever 32bit SERVER operating system.

Assuming then that I just want to replace my existing hardware which is the best route to take?
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 5:17 PM
  • Well, 64 bit capable hardware is pretty much all you will find if you purchase it new. :)

Windows 7 will be available in both desktop and server configurations; at present the desktop version is all I have running, and it's available in both 32 and 64 bit versions, as I said. Microsoft hasn't said anything about which version they will base WHS on, but I can think of some excellent reasons for using a variant on the desktop version, chiefly the improved media handling over a server OS. If they go that route, 32 bit would still be a possibility.

Thursday, January 22, 2009 5:52 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

Well, 64 bit capable hardware is pretty much all you will find if you purchase it new. :)

Windows 7 will be available in both desktop and server configurations; at present the desktop version is all I have running, and it's available in both 32 and 64 bit versions, as I said. Microsoft hasn't said anything about which version they will base WHS on, 

Hi Ken,
    if I read this article, I see that different. 64 Bit has been very clearly mentioned there.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 8:19 PM