WLOC Firewall and the new 2.0.2318.12 Print Sharing RRS feed

• General discussion

• Wloc 2.0.2318.12 did not auto detect and enable new subnet file & print sharing making it possible for new print sharing in 2.0.2318.12 to work properly.

I had to go into advance manual opening subnet ports for new Print sharing to work

see Related thread for confusing details.  

Thursday, August 16, 2007 2:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Mikro,

This sure sounds like a bug. From the firewall perspective, was the network you connected to classified as "home"?

What IP address does your machine gets from this network?

Thanks

Neeraj

Thursday, August 16, 2007 4:43 AM
  • It look like a Previous wloc config didn't like the new setup in 2.0.2318.12 build I Cleared out everything in my network let windows on both systems vista & XP and the network folders reset the router cleared out the wloc print sharing stored info and refreshed. I made it simple and hid my second printer which didn't need to be on any network any ways After all that Everything clicked. Wloc 2.0.2318.12 found everything fine and it's all working now. I removed the old OC in network devices to and let one regenerate.

Fixed up the firewall manually and BOOM Printers back.

It Sure Bugged the Hell out of me

NeerajGarg wrote:

Hi Mikro,

This sure sounds like a bug. From the firewall perspective, was the network you connected to classified as "home"?

What IP address does your machine gets from this network?

Thanks

Neeraj

Thursday, August 16, 2007 6:04 AM
  • After the WLOC update to 2.0.2318.12, everthing on my Windows xp Home with the shared printer has gone haywire;

1,  Cannot change firewall from Public to Home and Office.

2.  Cannot share printer anymore (my Hub and Laptop pc cannot connect to Host computer both are Windows xp Pro).

3.  My Router is a D-Link DIR-655 draft n, ip address starting with 10.xxx.

4.  Cannot open Monthly reports on any of my PCs and Laptop..."One Care could not Open Monthly report".

5.  When I click on Change Zone, there is a list of entries in the dialog box;

a)  Identifying 6to4 Pseudo-Interface-status-connected-Zone-Public (Green dot)

b)  Identifying Automatic tunneling Pseudo-Interface-status-connected-Zone-Public (Green dot)

c)  Identifying teredo tunneling Pseudo-Interface-status-connected-Zone-Public (Green dot)

d)  Network Local Area Network-status-connected-Zone-Home or Office (Green dot)

This problem is only happening on the Windows xp Home version.

What HAPPENED!!!!!!

Thursday, August 16, 2007 5:37 PM
  • It would appear, but I can't be certain and hope Neeraj jumps in, that you have 3 "network adapters" classed as public - real or otherwise - and you local Home LAN. The public settings are apparently blocking your ability to share files and printers.

-steve

Thursday, August 16, 2007 6:13 PM
  • If any of the interface is public, we put firewall in public state and things will break.

We did some enhancements in beta refresh for security and are detecting more network connections.

Can you please file a bug on this issue and attach support logs. We will need to figure out why you are getting these tunnel adapter and what is the right thing for us to do in those cases.

Thanks

Neeraj

Thursday, August 16, 2007 8:22 PM
  • Hi The Devil,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, and also thanks for providing such a detailed response! To start with, Stephen is correct in that your 3 virtual adapters are being classified as public...this is causing your entire computer to be considering network traffic as being in a public zone. When your computer is in a public zone, printer sharing traffic will be blocked (You wouldn't want to be installing printer drivers from your local Starbucks!).

If your virtual adapters will contain only traffic you trust, try changing them to Home/Work networks. The Monthly Report issue is likely something different (and something I am less familiar with answering). If you are unable to resolve your problems, feel free to send us your support log if you can at:

https://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/default.aspx?SiteID=168

Thanks again!

-John

Thursday, August 16, 2007 8:23 PM
  • I cannot change these adapters to Home/Work, it stays on Public.

Neeraj/John is there another way to send my log file??  I cannot create a feedback in connect.  I am logged as a Guest using my LiveID!!

Thanks.

Thursday, August 16, 2007 11:44 PM
  • If you can't submit a bug with your LiveID on Connect, you can sent the information to wloc@live.com and include a link to this thread in the message body so that you bug and support logs can be entered. Be sure to include your contact information in case they want to follow up with you.

-steve

Friday, August 17, 2007 1:22 AM
  • Thanks Steve.  I sent them an e-mail with my log file attached.

Friday, August 17, 2007 12:15 PM
  • I've let them know it is there, Ken. :-)

-steve

Friday, August 17, 2007 3:55 PM
  • Any feed back???

Saturday, August 18, 2007 5:56 PM
  • Recently I noticed that I have lost connectivity with my network drives on my HOST PC (Same PC with the Firewall Issue).  This will be a problem when my scheduled backup is performed on 09/01, if not fixed.

Sunday, August 19, 2007 5:02 PM
  •  The Devil wrote:

Any feed back???

I know that Neeraj got your log, but since it is the weekend, I don't expect we'll hear back for a bit.

-steve

Monday, August 20, 2007 12:59 AM
  • Hi Ken,

I was scanning through the logs you sent and it looks like a lot of ICMPv6 traffic is being blocked in your case. Could you try out the following and see if that fixed the issue for you. Even though this is not a real fix, it might give us a better idea as to what is really going on.

1. Open the Windows Live OneCare UI

2. Click 'Change Settings'

3. Click 'Advanced settings'

4. Change to 'Ports and protocols' tab

5. Check 'ICMPv6 Inbound' rule in the list.

6. Click OK on the 'Windows Live OneCare Firewall Advanced Settings' dialog

7. Click OK on the 'Windows Live OneCare Settings' dialog

8. Reboot the machine

Let us know if this fixes this issue.

Thanks,

Mauktik

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 12:26 AM
  •  Mauktik wrote:

Hi Ken,

I was scanning through the logs you sent and it looks like a lot of ICMPv6 traffic is being blocked in your case. Could you try out the following and see if that fixed the issue for you. Even though this is not a real fix, it might give us a better idea as to what is really going on.

1. Open the Windows Live OneCare UI

2. Click 'Change Settings'

3. Click 'Advanced settings'

4. Change to 'Ports and protocols' tab

5. Check 'ICMPv6 Inbound' rule in the list.

6. Click OK on the 'Windows Live OneCare Firewall Advanced Settings' dialog

7. Click OK on the 'Windows Live OneCare Settings' dialog

8. Reboot the machine

Let us know if this fixes this issue.

Thanks,

Mauktik

Did what you instructed but this did not fix the problem.  I still cannot change to Home and Office Zone.

Everything is exactly the same as before!

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 1:38 AM
  • Hi Ken

You have following 3 network connections that are in public

b)  Identifying Automatic tunneling Pseudo-Interface-status-connected-Zone-Public (Green dot)

c)  Identifying teredo tunneling Pseudo-Interface-status-connected-Zone-Public (Green dot)

1. From the connections tab, are you able to select one by one and able to set all of them to private?

2. If not, the only work around for now would be to disable these virtual network connections.

Thanks

Neeraj

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 4:52 AM
  •  NeerajGarg wrote:

Hi Ken

You have following 3 network connections that are in public

1. From the connections tab, are you able to select one by one and able to set all of them to private?

2. If not, the only work around for now would be to disable these virtual network connections.

Thanks

Neeraj

What are these network connections???....I have no virtual network connections on my computer.

1.  No I cannot set them to Private!

2.  How do I go about disabling these virtual network connections???  Where do I find them so that I can disable???

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 7:55 AM
  • You would get there through the Network and Sharing Center - Manage Network Connections in Vista (scanning the forums quickly, I hope you're using Vista!). You can select the adapters/connections that are showing as public and disable them.

-steve

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 4:00 PM
  • Steve I am not using Windows Vista, my OS is Windows XP Home.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 4:05 PM
  • Guys I am not seeing any virtual adapters on my computer.  I used to have a Apache/PHP server running on this system but it was removed about a year ago.

The only network adapter I am seeing other that the my gigabit adapter is a 1394 IEEE net adapter.

I hope this can be resolved soon.

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 9:36 PM
  •  The Devil wrote:

Steve I am not using Windows Vista, my OS is Windows XP Home.

In XP, Control Panel, Network Connections. How many adapters are listed?

-steve

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 12:54 AM
  • Two...1. D-Link Gigabit adapter and 2.  IEEE 1394 Net Adapter.

Thats it....no other adapters.

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 3:39 AM
  • After some research I found out that the above said adapters are related to IPv6 protocol on the computer.  Here are a few reading materials from the microsoft website;

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/network/IPv6_IGD.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/ipv6/ipv6config.mspx

OK, after I uninstalled the IPv6 Microsoft Protocol everything went back to normal.  My Zone is now Home and Office, I can access my printer and my network drives.  Everything works fine.

Mybe the Program team can look into this in the event someone installs the IPv6 Protocal on their Windows XP computer.  According to my findings this protocol in embedded into the Microsoft Vista OS.

My question is, why wasn't there a problem with WLOC and the Vista OS after the refresh???

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 5:49 AM
  • Thanks for reporting this, Ken.

I think this problem was introduced by the refresh and Neeraj and the team now need to fix it so that you don't need to remove IPv6.

-steve

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 3:50 PM
  •  

Windows Vista is a newer operating system and has much more advanced capabilities that we leverage to handle such complex situation correctly.

We have implemented a small portion of that back onto XP to get extra security for our XP customers. Our XP solution works fine for the real networks.

In beta refresh, we tightened up security to look at all kinds of networks and put them in public zone, just to be on the safe side.

In the upcoming beta refresh, we will add the capability for you to classify even these networks to home/public.

Apologies for the troubles caused.

Thanks for testing OneCare and helping us find all these kinks.

Neeraj

Thursday, August 23, 2007 5:02 AM
  • Thanks Neeraj for the update.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 7:58 AM
  • Great work by the WLOC team, I reinstalled Network Protocol IPv6 (to test if the refresh corrected the problem) and was able to change location from Public to Home/Office on all the virtual adapters.

Thanks for that update, keep up the good work!

Friday, September 14, 2007 1:55 PM
  •  The Devil wrote:

Great work by the WLOC team, I reinstalled Network Protocol IPv6 (to test if the refresh corrected the problem) and was able to change location from Public to Home/Office on all the virtual adapters.

Thanks for that update, keep up the good work!

Very glad to read that at least this issue has been resolved. Thanks for the update, Ken.

-steve

Friday, September 14, 2007 6:22 PM