Drive extender for Server 2008??? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Is there any way that Microsoft would include the Drive Extender technology into some other product that can be joined to a domain?  We run SBS2003 right now and I'd love to have a device on the network that plugs into AD for user/group access control with the WHS Drive Extender technology.  Does anyone know of any plans to make Drive Extender available outside the WHS space?  I love the simplicity yet expandability of the setup, but I want to be able to use that on a machine that's connected to my domain.

Any way to do that?

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 4:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

There is no way at present, that you can attach a WHS to a domain as it will cause WHS to shut down every few hours.

It is possible to use one on a domain, but not added, I have Clients that already use a WHS to use as an additional backup tool to their SBS units.(It's possible, with difficulty, to get the Connector software to install on the SBS, to allow it to be backed up).

As this is aimed at the domestic market, personally I don't think that this will transfer to the business sector, at least not for the next few years. Server 2008 is already out SBS 2008 is nearly out, and the Server teams are already working on the interim builds and next-gen ha also been discussed. I would hazard a guess that it would be at least four years, before the respective builds coincide which would be the time that something like this could transfer across.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 4:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

There is no way at present, that you can attach a WHS to a domain as it will cause WHS to shut down every few hours.

It is possible to use one on a domain, but not added, I have Clients that already use a WHS to use as an additional backup tool to their SBS units.(It's possible, with difficulty, to get the Connector software to install on the SBS, to allow it to be backed up).

As this is aimed at the domestic market, personally I don't think that this will transfer to the business sector, at least not for the next few years. Server 2008 is already out SBS 2008 is nearly out, and the Server teams are already working on the interim builds and next-gen ha also been discussed. I would hazard a guess that it would be at least four years, before the respective builds coincide which would be the time that something like this could transfer across.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 4:41 PM
  • IMO why would you want the driver extender technology. i think its a piece of junk. server 08 supports native software raid so all you have to do is click on the drives you want in your raid then bam its raid in abour 5 min. i tested this feature in a virtual machine w/ virtual hard drive and on a piece of junk in my basement it works beautifully. of course its not as easy to set up by click like what 2 buttons? but in retrospective its very easy in 08 to do raid compared to 03 which didnt even support native software raid
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 7:13 AM
  • David, you should read Why RAID is not a consumer technology. It lays out very clearly why the Windows Home Server team chose not to implement RAID for WHS. If you are comfortable enough with the strengths and limitations of RAID, and are willing to pay the significant premium that a really reliable and recoverable solution costs, then by all means use RAID technology.

And you are incorrect in your statement that Windows Server 2003 doesn't support software RAID. Check the help files in Disk Management.
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 2:41 PM
  • Uhhhhh Software raid has been around for longer than 2003... you can hack XP to do it, 2000 has native support for it as well, and I'm pretty sure NT 3.51 and NT4 had it too.

Here's the thing... What raid can you configure on the fly in software to halve it's capacity to provide 1:1 copies and then turn OFF selectively for folders within the shares on that "raid" when you run out of space to gain some of that space back?

But I agree, the drive extender is something that would be nice for Server 2008 Standard.  or SBS2008.
    Thursday, August 14, 2008 7:15 PM
  • hmm i didnt know its been around that long nativley i guess i havent paid that much attention till now since its now super easy to do most stuff in 08
    Saturday, August 16, 2008 3:21 AM