Reformating with Different CD RRS feed

• Question

• Basically, I own two Dell laptops which both run on Windows XP OEM Home Edition.

I am almost certain they both used Service Pack 2 CDs since they were bought in 2005 and 2006.

The CDs do not appear to have any link to a particular Dell laptop model.

I still have both their product keys.

However, the newer laptop has recently had some problems and I want to reformat the whole hard disk.

But I have lost the Windows XP Home Edition CD for the above-mentioned newer laptop.

My question is whether I can use the older laptop's Windows XP CD to install Windows XP on my newer laptop and validate it with the newer laptop's own product key?

Basically my concern is whether each CD is unique to its own product key?

Or can they be used interchangably as long as they from the same provider and I use the product key found on the sticker on the newer laptop when I deal with the newer laptop?
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 1:16 AM

Answers

• Marf213,

Thank you for visiting the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum.  The purpose of this forum is the support of the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program. Restoration media questions are off topic.  My suggestion to you is to contact your computer manufacturer. They will be able to guide you better. Their support contact information can be found at Dell.com

Respectfully,

Rick, MS
    • Marked as answer by RickImAPC Wednesday, September 3, 2008 2:59 PM
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 2:59 PM

All replies

• Marf213,

Thank you for visiting the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum.  The purpose of this forum is the support of the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program. Restoration media questions are off topic.  My suggestion to you is to contact your computer manufacturer. They will be able to guide you better. Their support contact information can be found at Dell.com

Respectfully,

Rick, MS
    • Marked as answer by RickImAPC Wednesday, September 3, 2008 2:59 PM
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 2:59 PM
  • Marf213,

You will be able to use the Dell OS Reinstallation CD XP Home SP2 for both computers.

The Dell CDs look  for specific data embedded in the motherboard BIOS to verify that they are being installed on Dell computers.  Because of this, you will not be required to enter a Product Key during installation.  After Setup is complete you will activate and validate normally.

For faster and better results, use Dell PC Restore by Symantec instead of working thru the drudgery of a full installation.  Restart your Dell, and after the Dell logo look for the blue bar with www.dell.com at the top of the screen, it will be there for exactly two seconds.  When you see the blue bar, press CTRL + F11 to enter the Dell PC Restore utility.  Be sure to offload any data you wat to save before running this utility because all user data from the C: drive is destroyed as the computer is reimaged back to the "ot-of-the-box" condition.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 3:07 PM