Sharing printers via WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I got the MediaSmart Server from HP last weekend. (I think that's the first manufacturer to offer a WHS box. It is a lovely piece of hardware, btw.)  I had been pretty excited about this product, so imagine my disappintment when I found out that there is no built-in ability to share printers via WHS! (There is the streaming of ITunes, which I do not use and could not care less about....) I was almost ready to return this box, when I started reading in the forums that it was possible to share printers via WHS, although it wasn't going to be easy. So I got to work and sometime later my printer was connected to the WHS and I was able to print from my laptops. Hurray!

You see, my reason for getting the WHS was that we're a multiple-laptops household without a good automated backup, with a need to share files, to print to a single printer, and with a really old desktop that was kinda serving these 3 needs but was getting really long in the tooth. WHS server takes care of the first two, but falls terribly short in the third, without a really good reason, methinks. How difficult could this be to add this as a feature??

Yes, I read the smug remarks on this forum about networked printers and how they make printer sharing via WHS obsolete, but I'm not going to throw away my excellent Canon Pixma iP4200, which I bought less than two years ago. Forget it. I think it is paramount that the next update or Service Pask for WHS contains easy printer sharing setup.

Here's what I went through. I hope this will help others emulate what went right and avoid wrong turns:

1. I downloaded the printer driver from Canon. It was an .exe file
    2. I used the Remote Desktop connection to go into the WHS and connected the printer (USB), expecting it to be recognized by the system. No such luck.
    3. I tried installing the driver in WHS, but it would not let me, saying something about not having sufficient permissions (although I was logged in as administrator).
    4. I ran the .exe file on my laptop, installing the driver. I then located the driver files and copied them to the WHS
    5. Through Remote Desktop I used Add Printer in WHS, pointing it to the driver files.
    6. That worked. I was now able to connect to the printer from my laptops using \\server-name\printer-name

This made me forget about my initial disappointment with WHS. Good luck with your printer setup!

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 1:54 AM

All replies

• The error you saw when you attempted to install the printer driver was because of Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration, a component of Windows Server 2003 which is installed by default. I've had luck with simply copying the file to the administrator's desktop and running it from there, but if that fails you can also simply uninstall that component.
    Wednesday, December 19, 2007 11:45 PM
  • I have an HP 6940 that is less than 6 months old. This printer has both USB and network connections.

When I was running Beta 2 , RC1 and then CTP I could not get the printer to work directly with me WHS. So I finally had to share it through one of my regular XP boxes.

After installing OEM it occured to me that WHS might have compatability mode like XP and sure enough it does!

I then loaded the CD in the WHS DVD drive, directed the compatabilty mode wizard to the setup exe and what do you know the driver along with the other software installed!

Now the WHS accesses the printer directly like all the other computers and since I chose to share the printer I'm able to use the WHS as a print server as well.

Mike

Thursday, December 20, 2007 12:16 AM
  •  Vladwiel wrote:

I got the MediaSmart Server from HP last weekend. bla, bla, lba........

So, so many thanks for your post... I was fighting with my HP a couple of days ago... I'd given up.  The software would not install in compatibility mode or another way.  Used your suggestion, now all printers in my house are running through WHS. 

Thanks for taking time to post... many thanks.

Sunday, December 23, 2007 10:03 AM
  •  

Were you able to find any 2003 server drivers?  I was only able to find xp drivers for my canon printer (mp610).
    Monday, January 7, 2008 9:59 AM
  • Great post, but I have a few questions.

You said....

"I ran the .exe file on my laptop, installing the driver. I then located the driver files and copied them to the WHS

Through Remote Desktop I used Add Printer in WHS, pointing it to the driver files."

When you say you copied the driver files to the WHS - where did you put them? I'm guessing the shared Software folder, just want to make sure

And using Remote Desktop - how did you get access priveleges? When I try to RDP into my HP WHS, I get a sign on screen, just like I would expect. But when I try to log in, I get an error message, saying I "must be granted Allow log on through Terminal Services right". How did you enable RDP access on your HP WHS?

And finally, the Add Printer in WHS.... I don't see that. But I can't RDP into it, either! Maybe once I can, I'll see that add printer option.

Many thanks,

Carl

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 9:28 PM
  • RD is enabled by default on WHS -
    You can't log in because your account doesn't have RDP privs.

Username:  Administrator

Password:  your connector password.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 2:18 AM
  • Had a cd printer I could not install... I installed it last time, but failed to put the info here for others to easily use it. 

Had to search again for the info when I reinstalled my whs (switched out mobo).

Of course this is "block" the kernel-mode drives, but work in reverse and it tells you how to install them.. key is "gpedit.msc" in whs.  Some kernel mode drives (from what I understand) can make win 2003 very unstable... I've not had any issues outside of anything that I had before I installed the drivers for the printer.  You only need to do this if you see the specific error in windows that says "windows nt has blocked kernel-mode printer drivers." 

Block the installation of kernel-mode printer drivers

To block the installation of kernel-mode printer drivers

Open Group Policy.

Under Local Computer Policy, double-click Computer Configuration.

Double-click Administrative Templates, and then double-click Printers.

Right-click Disallow installation of printers using kernel mode drivers, and then click properties.

On the Setting tab, click Enabled, and then click OK.

Important

This policy does not affect existing kernel-mode printer drivers. Kernel-mode printer drivers that were installed before you set this policy will not be disabled or removed. You can upgrade existing non-kernel-mode printer drivers whether you set this policy or not.

Notes

To open Group Policy so that you can edit the local Group Policy object, click Start, click Run, type gpedit.msc, and then press ENTER.

In Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition and Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition, installation of kernel-mode drivers is blocked by default. In Windows XP Professional, installation of kernel-mode drivers is not blocked by default.

You must click Enabled to block the installation of kernel-mode printer drivers. Clicking Not Configured or Disabled allows kernel-mode printer drivers to be installed.

source: http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/447dad75-28f5-4e99-80f8-17ad2359ba661033.mspx?mfr=true

Saturday, January 19, 2008 6:15 AM