Can't connect to server - no how, no way RRS feed

• Question

• I have server working fine for backups, remote access - is always on with a static ip, however I cannot log on from my Vista Desktop.  The discovery tool gets the "An unknown network error has occurred" and stops.  I cannot seem to figure this one out.

Firewall is *NOT* on - am running AVG Antivirus and ports 80,443, 4125 are open.  My Linksys WRT54G does not list the Server under DHCP, but I figure that is normal (?) with a static IP address. 

I can log into the console just fine on the server itself, everything looks fine, config tool runs with success and I can log into server remotely just fine.  Just my hard wired Vista PC cannot access the server.

Thanks in advance for your help.

JPVann

Monday, August 13, 2007 10:04 PM

Answers

• OK - got it fixed - thanks to all who have posted on this - gathered answer from a variety of posts. 

1.  Verified that subnet, computer name were set correctly. 

2.  Set static IP outside of DHCP range in Linksys WRT54G router

3.  Entered IP address into host file (c:windows\system32\drivers\etc) with server name

4.  Re-installed Connect software from Windows Home Server Share

Voila.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 1:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you recheck that the vista ip with the same subnet as the whs server? and the vista computer name deferent than the rest of your other pc's in your lan.

Can you try to install the connector software from the WHS / software share folder to see if that help.

My best.
    Monday, August 13, 2007 10:12 PM
  • Thanks for the suggesstions - subnet is correct and I verified that PC name and workgroup are set up correctly - no change.

Did notice one weird problem - my Linksys WRT54G keeps duplicating the address for my Vista desktop - two entries under Local Network routing table.  Don't know what is causing this - could this be the network error?

JP

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 12:01 AM
  • OK - added server to the hosts file and it tries to connect to WHS.

Then get error:  "The system cannot find the file specified. This initial program cannot be started: homeserverconsole exe-b.  Please consult help for more information,

Then it tells me it lost connection to the server.

WTF?

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 1:30 AM
  • OK - got it fixed - thanks to all who have posted on this - gathered answer from a variety of posts. 

1.  Verified that subnet, computer name were set correctly. 

2.  Set static IP outside of DHCP range in Linksys WRT54G router

3.  Entered IP address into host file (c:windows\system32\drivers\etc) with server name

4.  Re-installed Connect software from Windows Home Server Share

Voila.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 1:57 AM
  • Hi,

Can you try this:

Undo the change you did in the host file, and in vista, disable the ipv6 in you network connection, enable discovery and file sharing if not.

reset your router and the vista pc and try the connector install again from the whs/software share folder.

Also, disable any firewall or anit-virus for testing matters to see if not getting in the way till you done.

I did not use my vista pc for some time now, so hardly I can think for better suggestion, sorry.

My best.

Edit: heh, I was typing when you fix your issue, good to hear tho Smile
    Tuesday, August 14, 2007 2:02 AM
  • Does anyone know if this addresses the issue of getting remote sharing configured?  I'm also running the WRT54G but the WHS remote access...router setup fails and says UnPn not supported (I get the 2 red x's when the domain check.  I ticked the box on the router with no luck and tried opening the 3 ports listed above with no luck either.  I don't have a lot of IP knowledge so I'm a stuck.

Thanks

T

Friday, November 16, 2007 8:50 AM
  •  Toddwmac wrote:
    Does anyone know if this addresses the issue of getting remote sharing configured?  I'm also running the WRT54G but the WHS remote access...router setup fails and says UnPn not supported (I get the 2 red x's when the domain check.  I ticked the box on the router with no luck and tried opening the 3 ports listed above with no luck either.  I don't have a lot of IP knowledge so I'm a stuck.

Thanks

T

I have the same router and yes, UPnP doesn't work on it.

You need to find out the IP address of your server (and preferably change it to a static IP so it won't change sometime down the road), then forward ports 80*, 443, and 4125 to the IP address of your server.  You can find out the server IP address by opening a command prompt window and typing:

ping [servername]

(Replace [servername] with the name of your server)  It will respond with 4 replies from an IP address.  That is the IP address of your server.

* = not necessary if you use https://....... in the address bar (as opposed to http://.......)

Friday, November 16, 2007 2:43 PM
  • Thanks...will try tonight.  btw...for anyone on the PG, other than this, the initial experience with product was great!  Thanks

Friday, November 16, 2007 5:05 PM
  • Interesting, I have the WRT54G router and it worked with uPNP..  Have you guys updated to 1.02.2 firmware?  I set the IP address to static but everything else has worked without forwarding ports. 
    Friday, November 16, 2007 6:22 PM
  •  Enchanter wrote:
    Interesting, I have the WRT54G router and it worked with uPNP..  Have you guys updated to 1.02.2 firmware?  I set the IP address to static but everything else has worked without forwarding ports. 

My firmware is 4.00.7.  I guess mine is too new... Wink

Friday, November 16, 2007 6:27 PM
  • Scared me for a second.  I went to Linksys and apparently there are a bunch of different versions of this router.  Mine is version 6 and 1.02.2 is the newest firmware for this version.  While others, firmware 4 is the highest.  Funny thing is that 1.02.2 for mine was released in feb and 4 for the others were released in Jan.  So apparently firmware versions are different depending on what version of the router. 

For versions 4.0 and earlier, your firmware should be 4.21.1...
    Versions 5 and 6 should be 1.02.2
    Version 8 should be 8.00.2
    Friday, November 16, 2007 6:38 PM
  • I've got a v2 with all the current updates and still no luck. 

All intranet stuf is working fine but remote access is still broken

Here is how I've configured things:

WHS straight out of the box

WHS IP address static  (and working fine with the clients)

router port forwarding:

Start 80 End 80 TCP (address matching the WHS)

same setup for 4125 & 443

check boxes checked

I've opened no other firewall settings on the router and made no changes to the WHS default setup  (RTM version)

Another funny thing...none of my machines can access each other anymore....they could before so I must have nuked something in the router

agh!

Saturday, November 17, 2007 2:24 AM
  • You could always try hooking your WHS straight to your net..  See if the website works then..  If it does, it might be time for a new router..
    Saturday, November 17, 2007 3:41 AM
  • Thanks, I'll give that a try

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 1:55 AM