none
synctoy 2.0.100 Exception "FileSyncProvider" RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello kind people who support SyncToy,

I am trying to do an echo of my network drive to an external USB drive on my PC.  I have success with some of the folders on the network drive.  However, when i try to do the folders with mostly pictures and video files i get an error message.  Here is the message.....

"Exception during run: The FileSyncProvider received an unexpected error while applying a synchronized change."

Can you please give me some guidance on this issue.

I am running Synctoy on an XP Desktop PC.  The network drive is Western Digital My World Book Edition.

Cheers

Doug XOXOXO

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 5:36 PM

Answers

• Hi -

On another thread - someone with a similar problem has had success fixing their problem by reformatting their Western Digital USB disk. They also reformatted it as an NTFS drive ( as opposed to FAT32 which looks like what it was before). Can you try that and let me know that it fixes the problem?

Thanks

Deepa

Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:12 AM

All replies

• Doug, does this happen on every sync or randomly on some syncs? Generally you see this error when certain kinds of changes are actively happening on the source or destination drives, e.g, folders are being renamed, deleted or moved under the sync root. Any idea whether that might be the case.

You could try to increase the SyncToy logging level to Verbose (described in the help file how to do this) and see where the scan stopped and see if you can deduce anything from there.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:39 AM
    Answerer
  • Hello Ashish,

I did as you suggested.  The verbose log is post below.  First, in response to your questions... it only happens to syncs for certain sub folders.  Other sub folders under a different primary folder sync fine.  There are no active changes being made during the sync runs.

I am not a code breaker... so if you have any comments on the log file please let me know...

SYNC: 11/12/2008 21:04:21:609: Started scanning directory : X:\COPEFAM\VIDEO\
    SYNC: 11/12/2008 21:04:21:609: Started scanning directory : F:\BACKUP - Week A\A02-Tuesday\COPEFAM Video\
    SYNC: 11/12/2008 21:04:21:750: Stopped scanning directory : F:\BACKUP - Week A\A02-Tuesday\COPEFAM Video\
    SYNC: 11/12/2008 21:04:21:875: Stopped scanning directory : X:\COPEFAM\VIDEO\
    SYNC: 11/12/2008 21:04:22:125: Preview of Tuesday COPEFAM Video (X:\COPEFAM\VIDEO\, F:\BACKUP - Week A\A02-Tuesday\COPEFAM Video\) in time 00:00:00:515.
    SyncToy action was 'Echo'
    Found 40 actions to perform.
    Found 0 files that did not require action.

SYNC: 11/12/2008 21:04:23:109: *** Exception during run: {0} :
     System.ArgumentException: The FileSyncProvider received an unexpected error while applying a synchronized change.
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.CoreInterop.ISyncSession.Start(CONFLICT_RESOLUTION_POLICY resolutionPolicy, _SYNC_SESSION_STATISTICS& pSyncSessionStatistics)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.DoOneWaySyncHelper(SyncIdFormatGroup sourceIdFormats, SyncIdFormatGroup destinationIdFormats, KnowledgeSyncProviderConfiguration destinationConfiguration, SyncCallbacks DestinationCallbacks, ISyncProvider sourceProxy, ISyncProvider destinationProxy, Int32& changesApplied, Int32& changesFailed)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.DoOneWayKnowledgeSync(SyncProvider sourceProvider, SyncProvider destinationProvider, Int32& changesApplied, Int32& changesFailed)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.Synchronize()
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.SyncOrchestrator.Synchronize()
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.CreateAndStartSession(FileSyncProvider destinationProvider, FileSyncProvider sourceProvider)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.RunSyncSessionsForChosenSyncType(FileSyncProvider leftProvider, FileSyncProvider rightProvider, SyncMode syncMode)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.Run(Boolean previewMode)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.Sync()
       at SyncToyUI.PreviewDialog.RunOnePair(SyncEngine syncEngine)
    SYNC: 11/12/2008 21:04:23:109: *** Exception during run: The FileSyncProvider received an unexpected error while applying a synchronized change.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 4:09 AM
  • Thanks a lot for reporting this problem.

We understand the cause and are working on a fix for a future release.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 8:40 PM
  • I too have the same problem.  I use an XP sp3 system for the host, and it fetches files from two Vista machines (the USER directories only).  The initial run for both Vista machines worked fine.  Now, subsequent runs yield two results:  (1) No detected changes (which is not true); and (2) the FileSyncProvider error reported here.

Also, the 'preview' of a run seems to function just fine.  I have Outlook 2007 open on both machines when these updates are run (but not when the initial run was performed).

Thanks for your help.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 1:11 AM
  • I have this problem as well, it appears to affect certain .jpg files I have downloaded from the internet, including files made from those files.  Currently I have to manually copy those files.

I'm running it on Vista Business 32bit.
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 10:37 AM
  • Hi

I ran into the same error while syncing a directory from my hard drive to the USB Drive.  Here is the log.

SYNC: 12/08/2008 16:09:13:796: Started scanning directory : C:\Murali\
    SYNC: 12/08/2008 16:09:13:796: Started scanning directory : F:\MLI_MSTICK\Murali_bkup\
    SYNC: 12/08/2008 16:09:13:890: Stopped scanning directory : C:\Murali\
    SYNC: 12/08/2008 16:09:13:890: Stopped scanning directory : F:\MLI_MSTICK\Murali_bkup\
    SYNC: 12/08/2008 16:09:14:546: Preview of Murali Backup (C:\Murali\, F:\MLI_MSTICK\Murali_bkup\) in time 00:00:00:750.
    SyncToy action was 'Synchronize'
    Found 23 actions to perform.
    Found 281 files that did not require action.
    Analyzed 374.7 files per second.
    Avoided copying 390,306,674 bytes in 281 files.
    Saved approximately 00:13:00:00 by not copying any files.

SYNC: 12/08/2008 16:09:14:703: *** Exception during run: {0} :
     System.ArgumentException: The FileSyncProvider received an unexpected error while applying a synchronized change.
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.CoreInterop.ISyncSession.Start(CONFLICT_RESOLUTION_POLICY resolutionPolicy, _SYNC_SESSION_STATISTICS& pSyncSessionStatistics)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.DoOneWaySyncHelper(SyncIdFormatGroup sourceIdFormats, SyncIdFormatGroup destinationIdFormats, KnowledgeSyncProviderConfiguration destinationConfiguration, SyncCallbacks DestinationCallbacks, ISyncProvider sourceProxy, ISyncProvider destinationProxy, Int32& changesApplied, Int32& changesFailed)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.DoOneWayKnowledgeSync(SyncProvider sourceProvider, SyncProvider destinationProvider, Int32& changesApplied, Int32& changesFailed)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.Synchronize()
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.SyncOrchestrator.Synchronize()
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.CreateAndStartSession(FileSyncProvider destinationProvider, FileSyncProvider sourceProvider)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.RunSyncSessionsForChosenSyncType(FileSyncProvider leftProvider, FileSyncProvider rightProvider, SyncMode syncMode)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.Run(Boolean previewMode)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.Sync()
       at SyncToyUI.PreviewDialog.RunOnePair(SyncEngine syncEngine)
    SYNC: 12/08/2008 16:09:14:703: *** Exception during run: The FileSyncProvider received an unexpected error while applying a synchronized change.

This seems pretty similar to other users who ran into it.

I did have another directory synced fine without any problem. 

Even after doing a complete copy / paste of the source dir into the target and trying to sync again still fails.

Any help to understand the error and resolution would be highly appreciated.

Windws env:  Windows XP SP 2

KCDesi
    Monday, December 8, 2008 10:15 PM
  • I am experiencing exactly the same error as DougInTheDesert.  SyncToy 2.0, Windows XP sp3, 1Tb Western Digital My Book connected with USB.

Some back-ups work, some don't but once this error is encountered on a folder pair at any time through a back up it occurs immediately when future attempts are made to back up the same folder.  If I erase the files and start over it has worked on some folder pairs but not on others.  Mine has stopped on .exe, .zip and .txt files as well as .jpg.

I have used SyncToy with the same computer on an external 80 Gb firelite smartdisk and had no problems.  I also use it at work to back up to a 500 gB (think it is a Seagate) and it works fine as well.  SyncToy has been my backup software of choice for the past couple of years and it has never failed me intil now.  Is it possible this is a problem unique to the Western Digital drives.?

Hope someone can resolve this, I really like SyncToy and hope I can continue to use it on my new WD.

Happy New Year
    Dave
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 6:39 PM
  • Something you guys could try:

In the folder that appears on the left of the sync partnership find the hidden file similar to the following SyncToy_a6b04284-ec7e-40cf-bcd5-a527e985ed65.dat and delete it.

Re-run the sync and it will say this is the first time it's run.  It seemed to work for me.

Please note, depending on which sync action you've set up (I use Synchronize), it won't delete anything, it will just copy it across as a new file.

Sunday, January 4, 2009 10:58 PM
  • Tried it, no different but thanks for the suggestion.  Was just reading another thread on this topic, looks like a LOTS of people are having the same problem.  I hate to complain about free software but I sure hope they get a fix out soon or make SyncToy 1.4 available again.

Dave
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 11:17 PM
  • The only other option would be re-create the sync partnership.  That's what I did on a laptop I've borrowed for the holidays, that copied everything across without problems.

Same warning as above.
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 11:25 PM
  • we are trying to repro this with a Western Digital drive - will post back when we discover the cause and/or any workarounds.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 6:33 PM
  • Hi -

On another thread - someone with a similar problem has had success fixing their problem by reformatting their Western Digital USB disk. They also reformatted it as an NTFS drive ( as opposed to FAT32 which looks like what it was before). Can you try that and let me know that it fixes the problem?

Thanks

Deepa

Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:12 AM
  • Wow. I'm having the same error. I'm on Vista and am using a brand new 1TB HP Personal Media Drive. This pretty much makes synctoy unusable.
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 4:16 AM
  • I'm having the same date error problem.  I'm wondering if this is a bug with windows Vista because in an attempt to identify the file with the bad date/time stamp I did a search of everything on the drive older than 1/1/2010 and the search seems to have hung up.  

Any other suggested ways on how to find a bad date/time stamp on a file other than search?
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 6:10 PM
  • Dear All - I am having the same problem as DougInTheDesert. 

MY SETUP:   I use Synchtoy 2.0 in Echo mode, to "back up" copy my 70gb of data from a separate internal data drive (LEFT) to a Western Digital external hard drive (mine is a 250GB WD Passport) (RIGHT) so that I have live access at any time.  My files are mostly documents Word (.doc) and pdf's, pictures (all kinds, jpg, bmp, tiff), videos (all kinds), audio (all kinds), and then also my Outlook data (pst's).  No programs. I have been using SynchToy 2.0 for mroe than 6 months flawlessly.

THE ERROR I SUDDENLY GET:   This week I suddenly cannot complete a run.  Always at the 73% done point I get the same message as the DougInTheDesert and others report:

"Exception during run: The FileSyncProvider received an unexpected error while applying a synchronized change."

COULD THIS OTHER ACTIVITY HAVE CAUSED MY PROBLEM? 
    This week I did install 2 new optical drives, and that caused me to have to move my data drive from D:/ to F;/  My external HD stayed labeled G:/   Anyone have an idea if this caused my problem?  As I run the Echo, I see "Adding an action..." for each file on my external HD.  When I run a PREVIEW, I see that 47,000 files are unchanged but that 32,000 files need to be overwritten.  This is strange to me - never had more than 6,000 need to be overwritten with a new Echo.

Should I just delete the data on my external hard drive and try making a new echo? 
    Will this work?  Makes me a little nervous to let go of my only backup, but I am not a techie able to find hidden files!

I so much appreciate anybody's response!
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 3:30 AM
  • To add to my prior post - I have:
    (a) uninstalled Synch Toy 2.0 x86 and reinstalled it.
    (b) deleted my pair and recreated it
    (c) tried to run a CONTRIBUTE process on a NEW Western Digital My Book external hard drive.

But I still get the same error.  Can one of the moderators please give me a hint as to the problem and possible solution? If no solution now, what do you suggest I do in the interim?   Synch Toy was working wonderfully until now and I am relying on it to back up my data.
    Friday, July 3, 2009 1:33 AM