none
Custom DbSyncProvider for SQL 2008 Change tracking RRS feed

• Question

• I read on the forums in a few places that SQL 2008 change tracking can not be used in a collaborative scenario, but haven’t heard why. I would like to see if I can customize the DbSyncProvider to use SQL change tracking but wanted to post up here first to see if anyone knows if it can or can not be done and perhaps save me some time. I am thinking that the change tracking should take care of versioning and then I just need to add a table in the DB for knowledge.
    * Note: I have no formal CS education, so take all advice with caution :)
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 5:59 PM

Answers

• it's because the collaboration providers uses its own change tracking mechanism which not only keeps track of what changed, but also keeps track of which peer did the change, which scope, etc...

SQL Change tracking tells you what changed, but not which peer did the change nor does it have a notion of what scope it is.

so if you build a new provider to use sql change tracking, you'll have to implement all those stuff.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 3:10 AM

All replies

• it's because the collaboration providers uses its own change tracking mechanism which not only keeps track of what changed, but also keeps track of which peer did the change, which scope, etc...

SQL Change tracking tells you what changed, but not which peer did the change nor does it have a notion of what scope it is.

so if you build a new provider to use sql change tracking, you'll have to implement all those stuff.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 3:10 AM
  • Great, so it can be done but no one had done it yet. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some fundamental reason why the two models wouldn’t mesh at least on the tracking side of things. If we go ahead and decide to write one I'll most certainly post it here!
    * Note: I have no formal CS education, so take all advice with caution :)
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 1:38 PM