Unable to restore pc RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 2 pc home network with WHS for storage/backups. A pc died last week, so I had the opportunity to use the restore functionality of WHS. I made the restore cd on my running pc from the WHS share, put it in the drive of the dead pc and rebooted. I think I've seen every problem listed with restore operations since I started working on this. It wouldn't find the WHS until I isolated the dead pc, WHS and a dhcp serving cable modem on their own switch. It would find the server, but not start the restore (stuck at estimating...). It would start the restore and actually put a progress bar up, but that would fail to move more than 5%. I've left it over night to give it a chance, but that did not help. I've tried restoring both drives (c:, dSmile and just the boot drive (cSmile. I am ready to move all my remaining data off the server, reinstall it with something else (W2K3 or Ubuntu) and get on with my life. This has been the most frustrating home computer event I've ever experienced. If there is any way to restore the pc via WHS, I'd like to hear it. If that's not possible, is there any way to restore the pc from a network share? Install XP, connect to share, copy files...?

I've been working on this for about 4 days, so I'm open to any suggestions.

Thursday, December 6, 2007 12:56 AM

Answers

• There was, at one time, an alternate build of the Restore CD that was intended for use with computers having problems with the regular build. That was only available during the beta program, which has been over for several months.

I think your best bet would be to try moving the system drive from the PC that failed to another PC, then see if you can run the restore from there. Once the restore has finished, shut down and reinstall the drive in the failed PC. Then restart. (I've done this in a test environment, with hardware that's successfully restored previously.) This is assuming that all you need to restore are the partitions on one drive.

Alternatively, order the evaluation kit, which will let you upgrade to a 120 day evaluation copy of RTM. Then see if you can restore. The evaluation kit is available for the cost of shipping, but it will take several weeks to reach you.
    Friday, December 7, 2007 3:24 PM

All replies

• What version of Windows Home Server are you running?

Why did you have to burn a copy of the Restore CD when one should come with the System Builder software kit?

Thursday, December 6, 2007 1:07 AM
  • Evaluation copy. Build 3790 (Service Pack 2).

This was not a system builder install.

Thursday, December 6, 2007 1:19 AM
  • Version number is available through:

Windows Home Server Console - Settings - Resources

There were known issues with the Restore CD and process in the the pre-RTM builds - Beta 2 (1301), CTP (1371) and RC (1424) builds. 

Any number less that 1500 in the Windows Home Server Console is a pre-RTM buld

Thursday, December 6, 2007 1:36 AM
  • Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1424.2
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1424.2
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1424.2
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1424.2
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1424.2

So no restore ability in the RC?

Thursday, December 6, 2007 1:46 AM
  • Anyone?

Friday, December 7, 2007 1:19 AM
  • There was, at one time, an alternate build of the Restore CD that was intended for use with computers having problems with the regular build. That was only available during the beta program, which has been over for several months.

I think your best bet would be to try moving the system drive from the PC that failed to another PC, then see if you can run the restore from there. Once the restore has finished, shut down and reinstall the drive in the failed PC. Then restart. (I've done this in a test environment, with hardware that's successfully restored previously.) This is assuming that all you need to restore are the partitions on one drive.

Alternatively, order the evaluation kit, which will let you upgrade to a 120 day evaluation copy of RTM. Then see if you can restore. The evaluation kit is available for the cost of shipping, but it will take several weeks to reach you.
    Friday, December 7, 2007 3:24 PM