none
First look at Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• This is my first look at Windows Home Server. I have 2 desktop and 4 laptop computers right now located in my apartment and office which is next door. I’m running a Linksys Wireless N router but using Wireless G for the laptops when they need to be mobile or running hardwired to the router. I plan to soon expand and have several computers in other areas, which I need to control via the internet. I have looked for a way to monitor all my computers from my one server at home. My work is business connected and I need the ability to monitor and control all the computers, including making updates from my one main computer. I have systems running XP Pro, Vista Home, and Vista Ultimate. My primary need is checking each computer to verify updates and program installations, performing backups of business files, and monitoring for misuse or mistakes made by operators. I have tried a program called Spiceworks, which did not even come close to providing the tools I need. I have not tried to install Home Server yet, and would really like to wait until I know more about its capabilities, which I will continue to study for the next few days. This is my first attempt at this so please be kind if I don't explain things the way that would be the most useful. At first, I thought I would need something like a remote desktop connection for some of the things I want to do, but I'm not sure of that. I will need to be able to make changes to system settings and do as much as possible without making a trip to each machine. I am in the Philippines, many of the people that will be using the systems are first timers, and some are very computer illiterate. I may need to fix mistakes made by employees, some of whom are family members. I am about 3 months away from having 3 businesses up and running so I’ve got a little time to get this right. Each of the business are completely different in nature and needs, while the others that are coming later will add a great deal of complexity, one of which is an Internet Café. Within the first 3 months, I will have a Sawmill, gas station, and ice plant. Any comments are deeply appreciated; any advice will be accepted graciously.

Mark
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:04 PM

Answers

• Hi Mark,
    my first advice would be to use paragraphs to make your postings better readable.
    And the second one - whatever is your question - it should be appear as a question.
    A Windows Home Server in each of the locations might be a good starting point to backup the client PCs (up to 10), to provide shared files in the local area network and have them accessible for you via Internet and get access to the network via Internet.
    Consider also, that Windows ... Home editions are not made for any convenience in context of Remote support.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 8:52 PM